Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 PM

272 posts, read 286,607 times

Advertisements

This plan is not meant for kids with profound intellectually disabilities or physical disabilities.

K-12 students

1) Schools will be segregated based on gender.

2) Recess will be limited to calisthenics and restroom breaks.

3) Students will be required to wear dress uniforms during classroom instruction and physical training gear during physical training.

4) Once a student in the third grade he or she will have to pass Physical abilities test in order to go on to the next grade. The test is based on gender and existing health conditions (juvenile arthritis, asthma, heart conditions, and etc)

5) When students are waiting for their next class they must be studying. Instructors will walk up to random students and give ask them questions their assigned subjects. If the student doesn't answer the question correctly he or she will have to do calisthenics.

6) Students will be in assigned study groups. These groups will have to make sure everyone in their group is physically fit and academically fit. If one student fails they all fail. If a student is being defiant in the group it is up to the group to notify their instructor.

7) Unhealthy food or drinks will not be allowed on campus. Fast food restaurants will not be allowed to serve students under the ages of 18 the school week.

8) It will be mandatory for students to take the SAT and ACT. It will also be mandatory for graduating students to either go to college, the military or a trade union.

9) High school aged students will have to pass a rigorous PAT (physical ability test) in order to graduate high school. Students with health problems that limit their physical abilities will be exempt.

10) Students must have taken college prep courses in order to graduate.

11) Gang members who try to recruit students will be punished to fullest extent of the law.

12) Bullying will be a thing of the past, because bullies will get one warning. That warning is a "Scared Straight program (a field trip to a California State Prison) The next step is separation from the school and placement into a juvenile detention center where he or she can finish his or her education behind bars.

13) Starting in the 4th grade, students will learn how to be financially responsible.

14) Drivers education will be brought back to high school.

15) Starting in the second grade students will have stand at the position of attention until the instructor says be seated. The students must remain until in the seated position of attention until the instructor gives the command of "at ease".

16) Students will be required to read no less than 15 books a year at their grade level.

17) Students will be required to participate in marching drills in between class. This will take place starting in the fourth grade.

18) High school students will be required to type at least 40 words a minute before receiving their high school diploma.

19) High school students must be able to fluently speak and write a foreign language before receiving their high school diploma.

20) High school students must have participated on sports team, participated in a police explorer program, or an academic based club in order to graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM

50 posts, read 88,905 times
While I agree with most of those points and I believe that they would benefit this country as a whole if implemented everywhere. I personally believe people have the right to choose what kind of school they go to and make they're own mistakes. The big one I have is the military/college/trade union thing making it mandatory kind of takes away the whole "volunteer" army. Those are pretty much the choices you make out of high school.

Do not discount the benefits of a gap year, volunteer work for the Red Cross for instance or simply traveling for a year out of High School is actually rewarding. You don't give an option for that. People are free to make their own mistakes. If that means I have to walk by them at a bread line then so be it. Sports? What, no arts (you do realize you said California, right?) Just the sports, know need to play a musical instrument or be in choir. If you are going to mandate sports or an explorer program than you better damn well mandate the arts too. Just showing your biased. Though this sounds like Basic training in the army already (not that I have any problem with it, when it is volunteered) I actually like many of the ideas presented here; but it could be because I'm from Kansas.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Taking the Gap Year

Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Do you have a link?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwright View Post
While I agree with most of those points and I believe that they would benefit this country as a whole if implemented everywhere. I personally believe people have the right to choose what kind of school they go to and make they're own mistakes. The big one I have is the military/college/trade union thing making it mandatory kind of takes away the whole "volunteer" army. Those are pretty much the choices you make out of high school.

Do not discount the benefits of a gap year, volunteer work for the Red Cross for instance or simply traveling for a year out of High School is actually rewarding. You don't give an option for that. People are free to make their own mistakes. If that means I have to walk by them at a bread line then so be it. Sports? What, no arts (you do realize you said California, right?) Just the sports, know need to play a musical instrument or be in choir. If you are going to mandate sports or an explorer program than you better damn well mandate the arts too. Just showing your biased. Though this sounds like Basic training in the army already (not that I have any problem with it, when it is volunteered) I actually like many of the ideas presented here; but it could be because I'm from Kansas.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Taking the Gap Year
The Arts are considered academics. That is why I said "academic clubs".

Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,268 times
I'm confused - this is the plan you would propose? Or are you saying this is a plan being proposed by others?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
I'm confused - this is the plan you would propose? Or are you saying this is a plan being proposed by others?
This is the plan that I propose.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Yeah, good luck with that.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:38 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
What you're proposing is, in essence, military school and I doubt it will find favor with most parents.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-29-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 03:31 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthcomesout View Post
K-12 students

7) Unhealthy food or drinks will not be allowed on campus.

13) Starting in the 4th grade, students will learn how to be financially responsible.

14) Drivers education will be brought back to high school.

18) High school students will be required to type at least 40 words a minute before receiving their high school diploma.
These are the ones I agree with, and they are do-able.

Some of the others would only work in a completely different political and economic system. First you'd have to do away with those inconvenient beliefs about freedom and human rights. Then you'd have to eliminate those who don't fit your ideal.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
What you're proposing is, in essence, military school and I doubt it will find favor with most parents.
This education format is for the students and not the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education