Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

In the news lately, are terrible stories of children killing themselves due to harassment from students at school. I bet their parents would give anything to go back. If you must handcuff yourself to this child to keep him safe, do it. Homeschool? Do it.
What if the worst happened? You need to know you did EVERYTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 08:58 PM

571 posts, read 943,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In the news lately, are terrible stories of children killing themselves due to harassment from students at school. I bet their parents would give anything to go back. If you must handcuff yourself to this child to keep him safe, do it. Homeschool? Do it.
What if the worst happened? You need to know you did EVERYTHING.
Homeschooling your kid because he's been bullied?!?!

Hell, I actually probably would have offed myself if I were homeschooled. My parents, while not bad people, are some of the most anal perfectionists I have ever met. If I had to be around them all day... not to mention I would've been ridiculously sheltered.

But then again, I took being bullied at first as a badge of honor. I assumed it was because I was "too smart" for them and thus they "didn't grasp me", or something to that gist. I can remember thinking of them as the "loser bully kids with deadbeat parents who will drop out" basically- because that's essentially what they turned out to be. But then again I've always had a large group of friends and a large family. If I didn't have that support my attitude may have been different.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,419,089 times
Handcuff yourself to him? Oh yeah, that'll help out.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Im sorry but slang is not a substitution due to lack of a vocabulary - its simply their way of speaking (not saying its right) but its how they choose to communicate with each other.

The kids that are using "gay" as slang for "stupid" know the real meaning of "gay" as "homosexual" - they just don't care.

That's just like kids saying (or used to say) "Hey, that's dope" meaning "Hey, that's great" - that also understand that dope can mean "drugs" but again that's not their translation.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I get where you're coming from, but being that I was a teenager got to long ago (6) and as I used to teach high school, I'm fully aware of the way kids talk. And, the truly educated don't talk in this manner.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I get where you're coming from, but being that I was a teenager got to long ago (6) and as I used to teach high school, I'm fully aware of the way kids talk. And, the truly educated don't talk in this manner.
When my kids use the expression "That's so gay!" I'll pull them aside and ask if they'd also use the expression "That's so black!" They're usually horrified at that suggestion and I take the opportunity to explain that neither one is acceptable.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
When my kids use the expression "That's so gay!" I'll pull them aside and ask if they'd also use the expression "That's so black!" They're usually horrified at that suggestion and I take the opportunity to explain that neither one is acceptable.
I don't think telling kids, "Don't misuse the word 'gay,' because you'll offend the gay people who themselves misuse the word 'gay,'" sends a good message. Kids have the freedom to decide what words mean, too. They've decided overwhelmingly that "gay" means "undesirable," "annoying," "not compatible with my desires," or whatever. Perhaps we should think about why that is, instead of just telling them to shut up.

Flame away.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:52 AM

571 posts, read 943,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I don't think telling kids, "Don't misuse the word 'gay,' because you'll offend the gay people who themselves misuse the word 'gay,'" sends a good message. Kids have the freedom to decide what words mean, too. They've decided overwhelmingly that "gay" means "undesirable," "annoying," "not compatible with my desires," or whatever. Perhaps we should think about why that is, instead of just telling them to shut up.

Flame away.
Uh, because they're kids with little to no grasp of things like sexuality & love? Here's how they mean it when they say "gay": something corny and stupid. Yes it is vaguely related to homosexuality but only to an extremely stereotypical version of it.

YouTube - Starburst Commercial

In fact, I remember in third grade when we had a new girl from Canada who had never heard the saying used before. Someone said something was "gay" and she asked what it meant. The teacher said "that's when two guys or two girls kiss" and everybody said "EWW" or "gross" and looked around because they literally didn't understand what that meant.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Homeschooling your kid because he's been bullied?!?!

Hell, I actually probably would have offed myself if I were homeschooled. My parents, while not bad people, are some of the most anal perfectionists I have ever met. If I had to be around them all day... not to mention I would've been ridiculously sheltered.

But then again, I took being bullied at first as a badge of honor. I assumed it was because I was "too smart" for them and thus they "didn't grasp me", or something to that gist. I can remember thinking of them as the "loser bully kids with deadbeat parents who will drop out" basically- because that's essentially what they turned out to be. But then again I've always had a large group of friends and a large family. If I didn't have that support my attitude may have been different.
Absolutely my experience...the kids who were bullies at my schools growing up were also basically trashy loser kids with similarly trashy parents who reinforced the behavior, and I DEFINITELY considered myself above it/them. I also had many decidedly non-trashy friends and a large, supportive family that helped me maintain the confident attitude that it was the bullies who were the true losers, which, of course, came to play out exactly that way in life post-school. I can't think of a single bully from my childhood whose future came to anything other than an embarrassingly dead end. If the high point of your life is when you were the biggest a$$shole in your middle school, good for you.

At any rate, kids do need to learn that there ARE big a$$holes in the world, in middle school and beyond, and your reasonable options to handle people who start crap with you are basically to either refuse to react and cut it off at the pass that way, or react VERY persuasively. But to let it get the best of you is no kind of coping mechanism.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Kids use/used "that's so retarded" in EXACTLY the same manner. I also noticed that the OP who is so concerned about namecalling referred to people as "nerds" in at least one of her posts, so go figure.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:43 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

Flame away.
Because in America gay equals bad, and no one has said different. If homosexuality were not such a taboo topic, I think we'd not have as many hate crimes and gay kids being bullied. I mean we love in a country where students can't go to the stupid prom for being who they are. The prom is something everyone should be able to attend with the person they want to attend with, even if they won't give a damn about it in five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education