U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 PM
 
9 posts, read 70,350 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Whats the best price anyone here has gotten to get converted from a mastercool to refridgerated air?
House is one story, about 1950 sq. feet. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2008, 10:28 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,668,255 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptikon View Post
Whats the best price anyone here has gotten to get converted from a mastercool to refridgerated air?
House is one story, about 1950 sq. feet. Any help would be appreciated.
We have a mastercool.. stay away from refrigerated air, the cost will kill you here in El Paso... My Neighbor just had refrigerated air put in a year ago and he is about to have it removed the cost is way to high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 08:02 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22158
I don't like air conditioners, I can't stand freezing in cold inside air and then going outside because it's a shock to the system. I like the air inside to be closer to what it is outside so I just leave the windows open and use fans, once in a while I use the air conditioner just to move air around when there's no breeze outside.

I read that electricity rates will be jumping by about a third. The big power-out of the other day on the east side should serve as warning, everyone adding refrigerated air will max out the grid and then they not only have no air conditioning or fans, they have no lights.

I prefer living with and enjoying the heat -- it's cheaper that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
729 posts, read 1,770,686 times
Reputation: 463
It dont matter how much it costs just get it. I was dying at my in-laws house two weeks ago with their swamp cooler. Cant live with out it here in ATX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Northeast ELP
18 posts, read 55,940 times
Reputation: 39
Default Conversion

My view is this: One large evap cooler will only cool about 1000sqft. Thats why new homes with 1500 sqft, have 2 evap coolers.

If you are to convert consider this. Refig works better when humity is high, which is rare. And refig brings in less dust. Evap runs/cost less and does a good job 95% of the year. And will require annual maintenance to ensure it works properly.

I have 1800sqft home with 2 evap coolers (one for each floor) and I would never convert. Evap coolers are on 80% of homes in ELP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,786,671 times
Reputation: 537
Default a/c

I looked into switching from swap to refridgerated and it was going to cost about 5K. 1550 sq ft 2 story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 PM
 
5,402 posts, read 12,185,351 times
Reputation: 5403
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
I looked into switching from swap to refridgerated and it was going to cost about 5K. 1550 sq ft 2 story
I don't know what the cost is in El Paso for refrigerated air, but if you were in Houston, I'd say 5K is pricey, a rip-off for Houston anyway. If I lived in El Paso and were considering converting, I'd come here to Houston and purchase a 4 ton unit (outside compressor, coil and heat exchanger... heat exchanger for central heat as well as AC) for about $2500. You would only need a 3 ton since you are at 1550 sq ft, however, so it's probably even less than 2K here.

Maybe due to competition; refrigerated air conditioners were invented in Houston for the weather here, 100% homes have them. You can then hire someone in El Paso to install it. Come to think of it, a regular poster to this forum installs/works on HVAC. 6/3 I think? But I also think he is in New Mexico if I recall correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2008, 12:13 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,668,255 times
Reputation: 1105
BRO, thats because you have something El Paso doesn't.

HUMIDITY!

El Paso a swamp cooler is the best option for our homes. Refer-AC is not a economical choice for El Pasoans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I don't know what the cost is in El Paso for refrigerated air, but if you were in Houston, I'd say 5K is pricey, a rip-off for Houston anyway. If I lived in El Paso and were considering converting, I'd come here to Houston and purchase a 4 ton unit (outside compressor, coil and heat exchanger... heat exchanger for central heat as well as AC) for about $2500. You would only need a 3 ton since you are at 1550 sq ft, however, so it's probably even less than 2K here.

Maybe due to competition; refrigerated air conditioners were invented in Houston for the weather here, 100% homes have them. You can then hire someone in El Paso to install it. Come to think of it, a regular poster to this forum installs/works on HVAC. 6/3 I think? But I also think he is in New Mexico if I recall correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 AM
 
5,402 posts, read 12,185,351 times
Reputation: 5403
You mean you guys in El Paso aren't getting dirt cheap electricity from the Palo Verde nuclear plant? No? Funny, that is what the electric company told people in El Paso in mid to late 70s in return for a rate increase to pay for the nuclear facility... you will get cheap electricity in the end.

What happened there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,668,255 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
You mean you guys in El Paso aren't getting dirt cheap electricity from the Palo Verde nuclear plant? No? Funny, that is what the electric company told people in El Paso in mid to late 70s in return for a rate increase to pay for the nuclear facility... you will get cheap electricity in the end.

What happened there?
Well you seem to know so much on the subject you tell us what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top