Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 AM

134 posts, read 317,851 times

Advertisements

This is a very informative thread for this newcomer (returnee to El Paso after 19 years). Just one question; when do the winds die down? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 12:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
This is a very informative thread for this newcomer (returnee to El Paso after 19 years). Just one question; when do the winds die down? Thanks!
I think tomorrow they're supposed to die down. Other than the breeze being a bit strong today, everyone would have to admit it's a pretty spectacular day. The sky is very very blue -- not filled with dust like some days with wind.

As far as the occassionally windy day season - it ends when it turns hot. May -- but most days are not too windy even in the wind season.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Did you visit during those 19 years being away?

If not -- what was your first impression when you first came back?

It sure got big didn't it! For me that's not a positive, I liked it smaller and think it was better smaller.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:12 PM

134 posts, read 317,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Did you visit during those 19 years being away?

If not -- what was your first impression when you first came back?

It sure got big didn't it! For me that's not a positive, I liked it smaller and think it was better smaller.
We came through town twice during those 19 years but spent time with friends and didn't really look around much.

First impressions? In some ways its just the same but in some others, its like El Paso has moved up a weight class.

The traffic is much thicker than before and the congestion reminds me of Phoenix, Albuquerque, or Vegas. People are still very friendly and will go out of their way to help you and it (thankfully) hasn't taken on the attitude you find in bigger cities like Phoenix.

The drive over Transmountain is as beautiful as ever and I'm glad to see Chico's Tacos is still going strong. There seem to be brand new schools, hospitals, and libraries just about everywhere, not to mention block after block of new homes stretching west and east. I've been travelling through other parts of the country recently where the tension and unease over the economic situation is palpable but not in El Paso where its an island of positive growth.

The new retail space on the far east side looks like Scottsdale and the new ballpark is a great addition (can't wait to go to some games). We've only been back for three days so we still haven't seen all the growth at UTEP, downtown, out to see some live music, or in the new Northeast.

I just wish we had known about the Miner's b-ball game last night!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:36 PM

271 posts, read 809,642 times
I left El Paso in 1989 and returned June 2007 and the biggest difference I noticed was in the people.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 AM

What was different with the people?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:27 AM

84 posts, read 339,055 times
What is the dating scene in EP like (for a single straight male that is)?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john gunn View Post
What is the dating scene in EP like (for a single straight male that is)?
Not necessarily completely hopeless, depending on what you like and age group. The good thing is usually your date won't need you to help pay for a babysitter because her mother is glad to babysit for free.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times
That is a huge generalization - even by your standards.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 AM

84 posts, read 339,055 times
Quote:
Not necessarily completely hopeless, depending on what you like and age group. The good thing is usually your date won't need you to help pay for a babysitter because her mother is glad to babysit for free.
Are the illegitimacy and teen pregnancy rates really that high? I don't want to generalize but I thought those of Mexican/Hispanic origins were more family orientated.

BTW: Is there any cultural resistance against interracial (esp White-Latina) dating in El Paso? I'm British but I'm open to dating (and I have dated) to women of all ethnic origins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso