Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronVSmith View Post
Being a Christian myself, in that I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. because of this I believe Gods word ...Proverbs 22:6
6. Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
I believe Obama and Jindal are using christianity for thier own selfish gain...You couldn't be elected President if you were a Muslim or a Hindu.......Although with that said of the two I would rather have a man that was raised Hindu over a man that was raised muslim.....Hindu is the oldest religion and it is based on smoking Pot....and thats about it.

bottom line.....Neither Obama or Jindal are true christians!
I am not sure I agree with you on this. I too, am a Christian. I know other Christians that have upbringing in other religions. I think Jindal is a Catholic by the way, but I am not poisitive.

I do have my doubts about Obama. He started his education in Muslim schools and we all know early indocrination can be hard to shake off. He has alos showed signs of, cetainly being a Muslim sympathiser, if he isn't one. I do not believe he is a Muslim, but I am not sure he is a true Christian either.

That is just my personal opinion, I could be completely off base here.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:40 AM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
What possible difference does it make what Obama believes? Or Huckabee, or Palin, or Romney?

Obama wasn't elected to be a rabbi or a priest. He was elected to be a President.

If you want a preacher, go to New York and scout the street corners.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
What possible difference does it make what Obama believes? Or Huckabee, or Palin, or Romney?

Obama wasn't elected to be a rabbi or a priest. He was elected to be a President.

If you want a preacher, go to New York and scout the street corners.
it may not make a difference to you, but to many Americans it does. Some have good reason for caring, others happen to be bigots or can't get past religion. That is what people here are trying to point out. Not necessarily personal opinions, but how a candidate is precieved. I might take exception with a few religions for instance, but I would not elect a pres on his/her religious beliefs or even lack of same, many would. Someday this may not be an issue, right now it is.

Nita

Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM

46 posts, read 75,228 times
I disagree w/Cuebald...apparently Obama and the like know it means something....When you decide to adopt a religion just based on voting population it points to a character flaw in that person....someone who chooses religion in this manner shows absolutely no regard toward a higher power and the willingness to make self benifiting decisions without any conscious!....I'm talking, Hitler, Nero, type of character flaw!
Nmita....Jindal adopted Catholicism to increase his voting demographic....good choice for voting numbers but poor motive....I'm probably the only one that does this but if you believe that Jesus is the son of god,(Catholic,Baptist,Methodist,Mormon,Independent ,Church of God) I consider you a Christian...as for personal sincerety of the heart and truly believing ...In the end God will be the Judge of that!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I disagree w/Cuebald...apparently Obama and the like know it means something....When you decide to adopt a religion just based on voting population it points to a character flaw in that person....someone who chooses religion in this manner shows absolutely no regard toward a higher power and the willingness to make self benifiting decisions without any conscious!....I'm talking, Hitler, Nero, type of character flaw!
Nmita....Jindal adopted Catholicism to increase his voting demographic....good choice for voting numbers but poor motive....I'm probably the only one that does this but if you believe that Jesus is the son of god,(Catholic,Baptist,Methodist,Mormon,Independent ,Church of God) I consider you a Christian...as for personal sincerety of the heart and truly believing ...In the end God will be the Judge of that!
Aaron, I don't know that for a fact, do you? This would mean he became a Catholic in the past, way 5 years. I am not saying it isn't true, I am saying do you know this and where did you get your information? I would be interested to know.

I am editing this cause I just looked up the information: Jindal converted while still in high school. I don't think this would have much to do with expanding his base or his future goals.

Nita

Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Let me think .... I'm a young hindu man in High School/College in America...I am ambitious and smart, top of my class, I have decided I may want a carreer in politics but from reading American History and realizing the predjudice that I have personally experienced, being Hindu would be a sure detriment to any such career, I study and find the vastness of the catholic religion in the U.S. and leaders such as the Kennedy's. I have better make my move now just in case.....so it wont look so blatant later on in my career. .......Of course it was planned! When was the last time you have heard of anyone converting to catholicism because of a religous enlightenment? .....you are either born catholic or you marry into it.....That church is so antiquated what on earth would be the draw?

I have read the same, it seems to say he converted in high school...but doesn't mention where he attended if at all.....It probably should read he learned of christianity in High School, and chose the catholic church in College. I just don't see any real faith in that story....I may be wrong, I doubt it.

Last edited by AaronVSmith; 08-22-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 08:30 PM

As for Obama..What Christian President would stand up and say "Whatever we once were, we're no longer a Christian nation!"?....irregardless of what you add after that first statement you have just denounced Christ for yourself and for our nation....The same country who has " In God We Trust" on our bills and scripture after scripture carved out on our monuments and you really can't understand our constitution without a good understanding of the bible. Obama is not a Christian, infact Obama hates Jesus, I have no doubt of that! Muslims hate Jesus...They will try to put on a game face and say he is a good prophet,(How insulting to me!) but make no mistake they hate him!

There are better ways to express our diversity, tolerance, and exceptance of others! Starting by denouncing the Faith that has gotten us this far is not one of them!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
I disagree w/Cuebald...apparently Obama and the like know it means something....When you decide to adopt a religion just based on voting population it points to a character flaw in that person....
Frankly, I think when anyone adopts any religion it points to a flaw in the brain.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
As for Obama..What Christian President would stand up and say "Whatever we once were, we're no longer a Christian nation!"?..
A Christian president who tells the truth, maybe?

What if fewer than 50% of people still even self-identified as Christians? Would a Christian president have to pretend it was otherwise?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 AM

First, A vast majority people on earth about 90% believe in a higher power..which that would make "disbelief" a birth defect!

I would argue that agnostics, atheist, secular humanist are nothing but religions cloaked w/bad science. We are so far away from knowing the true origins of anything, anything we think of would have to be considered a theory....thus...its all theology.

But Your missing the point stating "we're no longer a Christian nation"
Is a divisive and a denouncing way of stating our diversity!....Obama knew it when he said it and he ment it to be divisive! He is laying out a foundation and trying to draw a line between christians and everyone else......I hope you can get my point with the way that reads...You can read that and think....there must be something wrong with being a christian. For instance "We are no longer a nation of slave owners!" A true statement and one that we are proud of... Why should we be proud of denouncing Christianity is it somehow bad? and everything else is OK?
Now if you look at the first half ....He is even questioning our christian past "Whatever we once were"...he throws in a denial of our past! What audacity!

Finally: A christian cannot denounce Christ.....if he does he is no longer a christian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
A Christian president who tells the truth, maybe?

What if fewer than 50% of people still even self-identified as Christians? Would a Christian president have to pretend it was otherwise?

Last edited by AaronVSmith; 08-23-2010 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections