Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,064,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Out of curiosity, who do you think the electable Republicans are?
infortunately right now, I really am not sure. I would guess Daniels would have to be close to the top if he can get his name known a little more. Of course the possible could bes are probably too new like you have mentioned: Christie and Rubio for starters. I have very mixed feeling about Huck, first I don't think he will run. If he does, whether he could pull it off would depend on what Obama does in the next 12 months or so. Pawlenty has some good ideas, but I don' think he has the personality. Paul Ryan, question mark and believe it or not I am not sure Barbour couldn't pull an upset. He has said some very damaging things, unfortunately. It still all boils down to how Obama handles future crisis, so far he isn't doing too well.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yeah the Republicans are way too "moderate" these days. That's why John McCain had to sell his soul to religious right to get nominated. Face it, the social conservatives in the GOP are a POWERFUL force. Why else would Mike Huckabee even be relevant? Why else would the name Sarah Palin be a household name? If a candidate shows any hesitation on abortion, gay marriage, and a myriad of any other irrelevant social issues he can't be nominated by the mainstream GOP.
Sarah Palin is a household name, not because of the conservative social right only, the media did this. They made ruining her their number 1 goal, people felt sorry for her, she gained in popularity and now, it coming close to being an also...It has very little to do with her right wing views, some, certainly, but not solely.

Nita

Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,381,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
infortunately right now, I really am not sure. I would guess Daniels would have to be close to the top if he can get his name known a little more. Of course the possible could bes are probably too new like you have mentioned: Christie and Rubio for starters. I have very mixed feeling about Huck, first I don't think he will run. If he does, whether he could pull it off would depend on what Obama does in the next 12 months or so. Pawlenty has some good ideas, but I don' think he has the personality. Paul Ryan, question mark and believe it or not I am not sure Barbour couldn't pull an upset. He has said some very damaging things, unfortunately. It still all boils down to how Obama handles future crisis, so far he isn't doing too well.

Nita
Have to agree with Bill Maher that Barbour brings to mind the character, Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard. Maybe that plays OK in the deep South but not in all of America.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:55 PM

73,185 posts, read 62,892,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
John McCain, a man who at age 50 voted against "Martin Luther King Day".

Hint: That is what the American South wants in office, which is very sad.
No so much the entire American South.Florida, Virginia and North Carolina were the states in the South that Obama won.

Another thing to look at is this. About 95% of the African-American population voted for Obama. 46% of the White population voted for Obama. The American South has more African-Americans than any other region. This means the majority of the African-American population in the South voted for Obama. If you look at the electoral maps for the 2008 election, the counties in the South that voted for Obama are majority African-American. Majority White counties in the South voted for McCain. This is actually a matter of race when it comes to voting. There is a sharp contrast when it comes to race and voting.
In some northern states, this voting pattern is much less prevalent. Iowa is about 90% White and Obama won this state by a landslide. Obama won Wisconsin, Minnesota,Vermont,New Hampshire, and Maine by landslides. All of these states are at least 85% White and have African-American populations under 10%.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,995,071 times
Quote:

Nita
I think if Romney can somehow make it out of the Religlican..er the Republican Party he stands a shot in the General Election. He's got good business/financial credentials and I think he's a moderate in social areas which I think will help him.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I think if Romney can somehow make it out of the Religlican..er the Republican Party he stands a shot in the General Election. He's got good business/financial credentials and I think he's a moderate in social areas which I think will help him.
I totally have problems with him, but I do think, if he can get the nomination he has a shot at beating Obama. He has some good but lots of bad and his religion will hurt him more in the primaries than the general election.

Nita

Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM

22,231 posts, read 19,539,017 times
Quote:

Nita
Pawlenty is really going full throttle for the southern religious base. All of a sudden he is talking with this southern twang he never had before, and is banging the drum hard on social issues, and of course going after the gays.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 PM

22,231 posts, read 19,539,017 times
Quote:
Sarah Palin is a household name, not because of the conservative social right only, the media did this. They made ruining her their number 1 goal, people felt sorry for her, she gained in popularity and now, it coming close to being an also...It has very little to do with her right wing views, some, certainly, but not solely.

Nita
The media didn't do this. Sarah Palin did it by interjecting herself into every single thing she possibly could. Not to mention working for the network a whole slew of potential GOP candidates all flocked to for jobs is going to get you coverage.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:24 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,995,071 times
Quote:
Pawlenty is really going full throttle for the southern religious base. All of a sudden he is talking with this southern twang he never had before, and is banging the drum hard on social issues, and of course going after the gays.
And I'm losing respect for him by the day. I liked him while he was the Governor of my home state, but he's slowly starting to sell out. Sad.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
i haven't paid much attention to his speaking lately, but I think his using a southern twang considering where he lives is pretty funny. Thanks for my morning giggle....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections