Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,200 times

Advertisements

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is lagging behind other prospective Republican presidential candidates in Southern states, according to new polling, presenting an obstacle for the nominal front-runner for the party's nomination.
A new Winthrop University survey, measuring public opinion in 11 Southern states, shows former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee as the preferred choice, winning 22 percent of the vote among probable primary voters. Romney is way back in fifth place with just seven percent, leading only lesser-known candidates like former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas and Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels.

Mitt Romney's Southern Problem - Hotline On Call
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times
John McCain was able to win the South Carolina primary, even with the momentum Mike Huckabee had from Iowa. In the end, that will be the real test - every winner of the SC primary since 1980 has gone on to become the Republican nominee.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:59 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,219,451 times
You didn't need the article. I grew up Southern Baptist and I can assure you that the bible-thumpers I know do not think that Mormons are Christians.

But then again, there are two members of the family who have not spoken to me in nearly 35 years because I married a Catholic (read: Heathen, Pope-worshiper, idolater).

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Obama has no competition from any republican currently on the horizon. He will be a shoo-in.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Does not matter.

If Newt runs he wins.

He will clean the floor with Obama snot easily.

He would eat Obama alive in any debate as Newt is far more intelligent and schooled then Obama.

Obama cannot possible win any re-election based on how Americans are thinking today.

Proof was in the pudding in November when we the dems lost in massive numbers and suffered one of the worst defeats EVER and it happened during Obamas watch.

What American would vote for Obama knowing his massive failure, mistakes and wrong doings?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM

^The performance of a party in one election does not necessarily yield similar results in the next election. See the 2008 Democratic sweep and the 2010 Republican resurgence. Ultimately, it will be what the economy is like in mid-2012, not now and not in December.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You didn't need the article. I grew up Southern Baptist and I can assure you that the bible-thumpers I know do not think that Mormons are Christians.

But then again, there are two members of the family who have not spoken to me in nearly 35 years because I married a Catholic (read: Heathen, Pope-worshiper, idolater).

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Obama has no competition from any republican currently on the horizon. He will be a shoo-in.
But it didn't matter for John McCain. He didn't win over the South except for South Carolina (and no I don't consider Florida "the South" and any poll that does clearly has never been south of the Panhandle).

Bottom line - if Romney has substantial wins early, he can use that momentum to move forward. However, I do agree that Newt Gingrich may have a better shot than Romney in the Southern primaries.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,200 times
Palin could win the South Carolina primary, she's supported by the governor Nikki Haley.I hope I'm wrong.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:59 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

This is how it's been in past elections as well. Romney does fairly well except the south because he's mormon, while huckabee does well in the south by pulling the "family values" and jesus card. Beside that he doesn't stand well nationwide. I agree the R's dont have anyone that can stand to Obama, even loony tunes Ann Coulter has stated this.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
I don't think Romney's problems are related just to his religion. I think he has the perception of being a dreaded "flip-flopper" and a lot of southern conservatives may be hesitant to vote for a well heeled "Yankee" who oversaw the implementation of state run health care in his state.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Does not matter.

If Newt runs he wins.

He will clean the floor with Obama snot easily.

He would eat Obama alive in any debate as Newt is far more intelligent and schooled then Obama.

Obama cannot possible win any re-election based on how Americans are thinking today.

Proof was in the pudding in November when we the dems lost in massive numbers and suffered one of the worst defeats EVER and it happened during Obamas watch.

What American would vote for Obama knowing his massive failure, mistakes and wrong doings?
That sounds more like wishful thinking than an accurate prediction of the future. I'm not saying Newt couldn't beat Obama I just don't think he'd "clean the floor" with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections