Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM

82 posts, read 128,411 times

Advertisements

Mitt Romney calls crossover voting a 'dirty trick' one month after bragging about doing it himself

But Romney himself has acknowledged voting in the other party's primary to influence the outcome. During the Jan. 26 Republican debate, Newt Gingrich mentioned that Romney had voted for Paul Tsongas in a Democratic primary. Romney then elaborated:

Quote:
ROMNEY: Just a — just a short clarification. I — I've never voted for a Democrat when there was a Republican on the ballot. And — and in my state of Massachusetts, you could register as an independent and go vote in which — either primary happens to be very interesting. And any chance I got to vote against Bill Clinton or Ted Kennedy, I took.
Flip flop Romney contines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
I think Romney is on flop right now.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas9 View Post
Mitt Romney calls crossover voting a 'dirty trick' one month after bragging about doing it himself.

"ROMNEY: Just a — just a short clarification. I — I've never voted for a Democrat when there was a Republican on the ballot."

Flip flop Romney contines.
Actually, I would call this more of a flat out lie than a flip flop. Here's what he said in a ABC interview in 2007:

“When there was no real contest in the Republican primary, I’d vote in the Democrat primary, vote for the person who I thought would be the weakest opponent for the Republican.”

Remember How Romney Voted In A Democratic Primary Himself? | TPM2012

Note that he was talking about situations where there were Republicans on the ballot, but instead of voting for one of them, he would vote for the Democrat he thought would be a weaker candidate against whoever won on the GOP side in the general election.

This man has no concept of what it means to tell the truth about anything. If his past history doesn't jive with the image he wants to project in the present, he simply rewrites it.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
This is not a new or innovative idea. What is new is a Republican candidate himself...suggesting such a thing on a robocall that sounds alsmost just like the robocall the DNC put out.

They beauty in this is that Mitt Romney can use it to advantage in future races in the primary. Santorum, Michael Moore and the DNC all suggesting the exact same thing...wow speaks volumes doesn't it? Also, Santorum's criticism of Romney being against the auto bailouts is total hypocrisy since he was against them also. Santorum is an idiot.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Santorum is an idiot.
And Mittens is a lying, flip-flopping dog abuser.

What's your point?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Quote:
They beauty in this is that Mitt Romney can use it to advantage in future races in the primary.
Well, except for the fact Mittens is on record doing the same thing when he voted for Tsongas in the NH primary in '92. BTW you never responded in your own thread about this when I called you out on it.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,877 times
Romney is a sneaky snake. I wish the news media would shine more light on an excellent documentary called "8:The Mormon Proposition." It is all about how Mormons funneled tons of money through the Catholic Church to fight against marriage equality in California. That's how Mitt operates & it is beginning to come back to bite him.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
why wouldn't romney support tsongas- a democratic pro small business former peace corps worker.

Tsongas was criticized on occasion by opponents as a Reaganomics-style politician, and as being closer to Republicans with regard to such issues. In the mid-1980s, he shocked many of the members of the Americans for Democratic Action by telling them that they should focus more on economic growth than wealth redistribution.

maybe he actually wanted him to win, and maybe we should have focused on economic growth-because look where we are right now.

crossover voting when you want the person you voted for to lose is another matter entirely, and gingrich knows it.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Well, except for the fact Mittens is on record doing the same thing when he voted for Tsongas in the NH primary in '92. BTW you never responded in your own thread about this when I called you out on it.

YOU didn't call me out on anything that I am aware of. A single voter crossing over to vote for someone they support is a bit of a different matter than urging the Democrats to raid a Republican primary. I wouldn't expect you to see that though.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,847 times
Quote:
YOU didn't call me out on anything that I am aware of. A single voter crossing over to vote for someone they support is a bit of a different matter than urging the Democrats to raid a Republican primary. I wouldn't expect you to see that though.
Exactly! I have no problem with individual voters choosing to be strategic. I think it's dirty politics when the Santorum campaign and liberal pundits/Democratic strategists try to influence an election by encouraging people to do that.

Although if Santorum wants to play that game, well, then game on. Now the exit polls show him beating Rmney among self-identified liberals with Romney beating him with self-identified conservatives. They are tied among tea party supporters,but Santorum has a healthy lead among tea party opponents. I guess Mitt Romney is the true conservative in this race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections