Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,447,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Rick Perry has been the Governor of Texas for 11 years. Has he run Texas like a theocracy?
He's given it his best shot. His favorite tactic has been to repeatedly appoint creationists to the state board of education. In turn, they try to inject creationism into the public school curriculum.

Lowe, a conservative, was still a far less controversial choice than another potential appointee, Cynthia Dunbar (less Obama citizenship questioning, at least). She has been a member of the board since 2002, and is also publisher of a bi-weekly newspaper, the Lampasas Dispatch Record, and a former trustee of the Lampasas Independent School District.
However, she has fervidly advocated for Creationism in the classroom enough to draw plenty of criticism. The former SBOE chairman, Don McLeroy, lost his position partially due to his polarizing views on the subject.

Perry Appoints New State Board of Education Chairman | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

Texas Governor Perry appoints creationist to state education board head | Rants n Reviews

Quote:
You see, when someone actually has a record of governing and is not some community organizer or some candidate with just a basket of ideas who is floating down from Mount Capitol Hill, you know what you are going to get in the White House.
You see, when a professional politician has a long record of poor performance, he can't hide behind empty platitudes for long.

The lecturing from Texas leaders about how California wouldn't be in such a budget mess if its politicians did business the way it is done in Austin has been relentless for years.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry delights in telling tales of his California "hunting trips" β€” hunting for businesses ready to flee the Golden State.

But the latest budget projections out of Texas have sharply changed the discussion: The Lone Star State is facing a budget gap of about $27 billion, putting it in the same league as California among states facing financial meltdowns. The gap amounts to roughly one-third of the state's budget.
In a place where government is already lean, there aren't many areas to make up that kind of cash. The budget blueprint Texas' Legislature is mulling would mean layoffs for tens of thousands of teachers, closure of community colleges, and a severe reduction in state services for the poor and those with mental health problems.

Texas Budget Crisis | Texas' finances not as rosy as they seemed - Los Angeles Times

You see, I've lived in Texas for almost 30 years now. And the truth is that the roads have gone to crap, the public schools have deteriorated, and my taxes have done nothing but climb.

Perry doesn't have any explanation for how he got Texas $27B in debt, while having nothing to show for all that spending.

Quote:
Oh, and about Florida. My money is he wins there because you know who is going to campaign for him there? Rudy Giuliani who owes him.
And you base that on Guliani's big win there in the 2008 primary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
this is the same guy who is giving in state tuition to illegal aliens, bill he signed in 2001.

also was a democrat who flipped to republican when he was going to lose re-election.

buddy buddy with al gore, was campaign advisor.

google trans texas corridor, which is essentially open borders that perry pushed for.

i know hes the in guy because he has nice hair, but do some research on the guy before you start going crazy over him.

this is for all who would consider perry.
What do you care about who the Republicans choose? You aren't going to vote for that person and you have already told up Obama has the election sewed up.

NIta

Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I bet he's hoping to get some write-in at the Straw Poll that day. Probably good timing to annouce.

I personally am not sold on the guy, but haven't looked at him that hard either.
I had even thought much about him until about 6 weeks or two months ago. Now, I think he is the Republican's best shot. yes, the libs will try and tear him to shreds, yes, he isn't perfect (no candidate will ever be exactly what we want) but I like more about him, than I dislike.

NIta

Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
He's given it his best shot. His favorite tactic has been to repeatedly appoint creationists to the state board of education. In turn, they try to inject creationism into the public school curriculum.

Lowe, a conservative, was still a far less controversial choice than another potential appointee, Cynthia Dunbar (less Obama citizenship questioning, at least). She has been a member of the board since 2002, and is also publisher of a bi-weekly newspaper, the Lampasas Dispatch Record, and a former trustee of the Lampasas Independent School District.
However, she has fervidly advocated for Creationism in the classroom enough to draw plenty of criticism. The former SBOE chairman, Don McLeroy, lost his position partially due to his polarizing views on the subject.

Perry Appoints New State Board of Education Chairman | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

Texas Governor Perry appoints creationist to state education board head | Rants n Reviews

You see, when a professional politician has a long record of poor performance, he can't hide behind empty platitudes for long.

The lecturing from Texas leaders about how California wouldn't be in such a budget mess if its politicians did business the way it is done in Austin has been relentless for years.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry delights in telling tales of his California "hunting trips" β€” hunting for businesses ready to flee the Golden State.

But the latest budget projections out of Texas have sharply changed the discussion: The Lone Star State is facing a budget gap of about $27 billion, putting it in the same league as California among states facing financial meltdowns. The gap amounts to roughly one-third of the state's budget.
In a place where government is already lean, there aren't many areas to make up that kind of cash. The budget blueprint Texas' Legislature is mulling would mean layoffs for tens of thousands of teachers, closure of community colleges, and a severe reduction in state services for the poor and those with mental health problems.

Texas Budget Crisis | Texas' finances not as rosy as they seemed - Los Angeles Times

You see, I've lived in Texas for almost 30 years now. And the truth is that the roads have gone to crap, the public schools have deteriorated, and my taxes have done nothing but climb.

Perry doesn't have any explanation for how he got Texas $27B in debt, while having nothing to show for all that spending.

And you base that on Guliani's big win there in the 2008 primary?
Guliani screwed up big time in 2008. I bet if he had it to do over, he would have run a different campaign.

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,952,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What do you care about who the Republicans choose? You aren't going to vote for that person and you have already told up Obama has the election sewed up.

NIta
Then why do you comment on Obama when it comes to the election, you will not consider voting for him so why discuss it?
Perry will get his behind handed to him by either the ther candidates or Obama if Perry even makes it that far, far too much dirt in Perrys "record" and it will turn off many Repubs not to mention Indes. But go ahead, keep on believing.
Casper

Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,915,301 times
Quote:
Guliani screwed up big time in 2008. I bet if he had it to do over, he would have run a different campaign.

Nita
But Giuliani isn't running. Perry is. Perry doesn't resonate well with the South Florida population.

You should read Perry's comments at the Prayer Rally. If that wasn't a state endorsement of religion, I don't know what is. Not to mention the anti Catholic comments that came out of several speakers mouth, albeit not Perry's.

Giuliani will not be campaigning for Perry heavily in Florida as an Italian and nominal Catholic who was Mayor of the largest Jewish city in the world and the largest Italian and Irish city in the US.

You may want to actually learn something before you make such broad statements.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 AM

187 posts, read 181,939 times
Quote:
Just on Politico: it looks like he is going to announce on Saturday in So Carolina...I don't know if any others have posted this yet.

Nita
For what I know of this guy, he is just another generic copy of the intolerant right wing extremism that permeates the gop, the only candidate that stands out is Ron Paul, but of course he does not have a chance to get nominated....

Old 08-09-2011, 11:14 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,653,713 times
Perry would be our first secessionist president. How would that work? Would he try to push states he did not like out of the union? Or would he just encourage Texas to leave and promise not to retaliate? Really curious how a secessionist would preside.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It must have been due to his contraversial prayer meet-up. But recently searches for Rick Perry according to Google Trends on-line have even surpassed Ron Paul's.
That's not really saying a lot.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,686,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
For what I know of this guy, he is just another generic copy of the intolerant right wing extremism that permeates the gop, the only candidate that stands out is Ron Paul, but of course he does not have a chance to get nominated....

That is because they are waiting for the return of Jesus Christ and hoping they can vote him in. Or they will just vote for someone because they wear their religion on their sleeve and pretend as if the president writes the laws on abortion and or on marriage. To many stupid Americans how have no idea how laws are created!

It's all about the social and or ethical morals of the right wing christians and anyone who even mentions leaving and or follow the Constitution which PROTECTS THEIR RELGIONS RIGHTS is some how never going to win the GOP nomination.

Ron Paul is more of the Christian then the rest of those idiots running for the GOP he just doesn't have to force his morals and or use FORCE TO DO IT!

Perry is just another BUSH christian conservative when he looks for votes in a religious state like Texas and in the end will sell our freedoms down the river based on his record. Of course they hope you just ignore that and vote for him anyway and think suddenly he is a changed man and found Jesus and going to save marriage and abortions as PRESIDENT!!! The president does not have this power nor should the US government. Ignoring the fact that Ron Paul is PRO LIFE as per the constitution says and or states have laws on PROTECTING LIFE! Thou no law at a federal law should be discusssing gay marriage since Ron Paul believes government has no business in it. You want to stop funding abortions vote for the DR Ron Paul who actually believes no federal funding of them, no funding as per its not constitiutional and most importantly he is a GBOYN and knows why it should never be done and protecting life it important but he also knows FREEDOM AND LIBERTY are just as important.
Leave it to the states respectively no federal funding for planned parenthood etc.

Ron Paul 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections