Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,103,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats the best retort you could do? Thats pretty sad.. So if the link went to
Scienceisafactandcreationismisstupid.com, you'd accept whatever they said as a fact? Wow.. you have very low standards.

When do children return to school? No one said its not both a fact or a theory, the question is, is evolution a theory.. YES IT IS..
NO, not it's not. The theory is about what causes evolution to occur, but not that evolution takes place.

I can just imagine you shaking your head in violent denial every time you read that statement.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 AM

38,065 posts, read 22,219,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You have willfully selected a few random scientists and claim that that must mean it's not accepted as fact, yet you have not acknowledged in the least that the vast, vast majority of people who know better, biological scientists, believe evolution to be an established scientific fact. Why you choose to ignore that I'm not sure, but the only rational conclusion is that you somehow feel threatened by evolution in some way. If you were truly an agnostic, you wouldn't feel particularly compelled to deny it so much.
Yes, yes, yes, scientists are always correct in their theories, and dinosaurs were all cold blooded reptiles.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times
Quote:
Actually, it is implied, but at best you are arguing that creationism is at the same level as evolution and deserves to be taught as science. Therefore, you are arguing that science should not be about evidence, but popular belief systems.
I did no such thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Ummm.... no, Evolution has probably been a fact since the beginning of time.

But the Theory of Evolution has only been around for about 150 years. Not "since the beginning of time."

You really can't get your head around the fact that evolution is a fact. And the Theory of Evolution is the explanation of the fact of evolution.
And yet there is no evidence that we evolved from monkeys, is there?
Quote:
If these scientists believe in creationism, then they are absolutely abandoning the scientific process to believe in it, because nothing in creationism is supported by actual science.
Not true. There are some well known scientists who believe in creationism. Louis Pasteur, Isaac Newton, Blaise Pascal, Galileo Galilei for example. Are you telling me these people abandoned the process?

Charles Darwin himself declared Jesus Christ his salvation

Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,863,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Creationism is not a scientific theory. Teach it in bible study not in a science class.

Should we teach stories about Noah's Ark in history class? Some would say that's a theory.
I am sure that Noah's Ark is used as an example for engineering classes at universities. LOL!

Anyone who believes in the bible and creationism should prove their faith by taking a world cruise in a boat with the same specifications of Noah's ark as described in Genesis.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
NO, not it's not. The theory is about what causes evolution to occur, but not that evolution takes place.

I can just imagine you shaking your head in violent denial every time you read that statement.
I don't think anyone is denying that animals evolve and even create different species over time, but to create complex life forms out of base materials over time, out of nothing put pure dumb luck. That might be where people say it's simply an unprovable theory.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Maybe you just dont like others proving you wrong.

HELLO? ANYONE HOME?

NO ONE SAID ITS NOT ACCEPTED AS FACT.. For gods sakes go back and re-read postings and then educate yourself on the difference between something accepted as fact, and then something that IS a fact.

Again with the example
the Theory of evolution says we evolved from monkeys.

Where is the proof this is true? The lack of it IS A CRACK
Um, weren't you just arguing that there are scientists who believe in creationism over evolution and that it is merely a theory and not accepted as fact? Nice contradiction. Apparently you have no idea what you're arguing.

We didn't actually evolve from monkeys. There was no moment in time where we existed as monkeys and made the jump to humans. We evolved from lesser developed species who developed from lesser, and so on. Eventually you hit primates as a common ancestor, but humans did not directly evolve from monkeys (or apes, technically). As far as the proof, there is plenty out there. No one should have to hold your hand when there is this thing called Google at your fingertips. You have control over your own ability to learn. Use it.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times
Quote:

yes it is a theory. Yes I'm shaking my head in utter disbelief that some of you actually graduated.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am sure that Noah's Ark is used as an example for engineering classes at universities. LOL!

Anyone who believes in the bible and creationism should prove their faith by taking a world cruise in a boat with the same specifications of Noah's ark as described in Genesis.
It's a bit vague in its description, don't you think? Create a bird from a flower, or a fungus, then and then you'll impress me more then sailing in a boat.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Yes it is..

Definition of theory
  1. idea formed by speculation: an idea of or belief about something arrived at through speculation or conjecture
Except that scientific theory is not based on speculation or conjecture, but physical evidence. What you are describing as a theory actually fits creationism, as creationism starts with an established idea and then tries to find ways to support it. Scientific theory uses established facts and then comes up with a theory for them. In that way, "theory" ends up being a simple description of the evidence, and not a random idea.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,404,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
That's why I have him on ignore. He's so freakin self-righteous, and yet hasn't the foggiest clue how ridiculous he sounds.

Part of the problem seems to be, pgh like most here don't understand the meaning of "fact" in science. There is no such thing as absolute certainty.

Evolution is a Fact and a Theory

"Moreover, "fact" doesn't mean "absolute certainty"; there ain't no such animal in an exciting and complex world. The final proofs of logic and mathematics flow deductively from stated premises and achieve certainty only because they are not about the empirical world. Evolutionists make no claim for perpetual truth, though creationists often do (and then attack us falsely for a style of argument that they themselves favor). In science "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional consent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms."

It is time for students of the evolutionary process, especially those who have been misquoted and used by the creationists, to state clearly that evolution is a fact, not theory, and that what is at issue within biology are questions of details of the process and the relative importance of different mechanisms of evolution. It is a fact that the earth with liquid water, is more than 3.6 billion years old. It is a fact that cellular life has been around for at least half of that period and that organized multicellular life is at least 800 million years old. It is a fact that major life forms now on earth were not at all represented in the past. There were no birds or mammals 250 million years ago. It is a fact that major life forms of the past are no longer living. There used to be dinosaurs and Pithecanthropus, and there are none now. It is a fact that all living forms come from previous living forms. Therefore, all present forms of life arose from ancestral forms that were different. Birds arose from nonbirds and humans from nonhumans. No person who pretends to any understanding of the natural world can deny these facts any more than she or he can deny that the earth is round, rotates on its axis, and revolves around the sun.

Today, nearly all biologists acknowledge that evolution is a fact. The term theory is no longer appropriate except when referring to the various models that attempt to explain how life evolves... it is important to understand that the current questions about how life evolves in no way implies any disagreement over the fact of evolution.

Gravity is also a theory. I wonder why no one questions that and screams, "IT CAN'T BE PROVEN! Omg you guys are so dumb!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections