Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Romney wants to increase military spending and build the missile defense system.

Ok, so where does he propose to find the money for that? (he has not answered)

We are already deficit spending 42% of the federal budget. What do you propose to cut in order to funnel more money to the military? SS? Medicare? Food stamps? Medicaid? Education?

Is Romney advocating borrowing more money to pay for the military expansion? Sure, he wants to buy votes and play the "be scared of the terrorists" card, but he is not being honest with the American people here. The money is NOT there.
While I'm not a supportor of Romey, how about cutting foreign aid to counties that hate us? I know we could save billions of dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
While I'm not a supportor of Romey, how about cutting foreign aid to counties that hate us? I know we could save billions of dollars.
but we have a deficit of $1500 billion. Cutting billions isn't gonna put a dent in it

Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I would definitely favor a drastic cut in aid to Pakistan.

Giving money to that country is worse than throwing the money down a rat hole. If you throw it down a rat hole, you "only" lose your money.

By giving money to Pakistan, we are helping to support a government that turns a blind eye to the presence of terrorists, and may actually be helping them in various ways. In other words, by giving aid to Pakistan, we will definitely lose our money, but we also stand a chance of losing our lives!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM

234 posts, read 939,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I would definitely favor a drastic cut in aid to Pakistan.

Giving money to that country is worse than throwing the money down a rat hole. If you throw it down a rat hole, you "only" lose your money.

By giving money to Pakistan, we are helping to support a government that turns a blind eye to the presence of terrorists, and may actually be helping them in various ways.
Agreed! The money that we give to Pakistan is often passed to the warlords, who then use it to buy the ammunition that they shoot back at our guys.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
But, which Mitt Romney is our esteemed governor endorsing?

Is it this Mitt Romney?
"I'm not trying to return to Reagan-Bush."

Or, is it this Mitt Romney?
"Ronald Reagan is... my hero."

Is it the Mitt Romney who said this?
"'It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam."

Or, is it the one who said?
"I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there."

Is it this Mitt Romney?
"'I will work and fight for stem cell research."

Or--this one?
"In the end, I became persuaded that the stem-cell debate was grounded in a false premise."

How about?
"I saw my father march with Martin Luther King."

Contrasted with...
"I did not see it with my own eyes."

Or, this comment?
"I respect and will protect a woman's right to choose."

Versus-his other famous comment on that topic...
"I never really called myself pro-choice."

Then, we have:
"'I'm going to take burdens off the back of the auto industry."'

Contrasted with:
"Detroit needs a turnaround, not a check."

How about?
"...the costs of health care will be reduced."

Contrasted with:
"We were unable to deal with... health care costs in Massachusetts."

Is this an accurate statement?
"I've been a hunter pretty much all my life."

Or is this statement the truth?
"Any description of my being a hunter is an overstatement of capability."

Does Chris support this Mitt Romney?
"'Roe v. Wade has gone too far."

Or, is this the one that he supports?
"I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it."

Does Chris see any contradiction between...
"Those... paying taxes and not taking government benefits should begin a process toward application for citizenship."

...and this Romney statement?
"Amnesty only led to more people coming into the country."

Does CC support the Mitt Romney who said...
"I supported the assault weapon ban."

...or does he like this Mitt Romney?
"I don't support any gun control legislation."

Can Chris perceive a contradiction between this Mitt Romney...
"I think the minimum wage ought to keep pace with inflation."

...and this one?
"There's no question raising the minimum wage excessively causes a loss of jobs."

Mitt Romney is a true chameleon. He changes his positions--depending on his audience--as quickly as a chameleon changes colors, and has demonstrated that his word cannot be trusted.

Don't like a position that Mitt Romney has taken?
Don't worry--just wait until his next speech and he will change that position!
Excellent. Romney's problem isn't that he's a Mormon, it's that he's inauthentic. Who knows what we'd be getting with him?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
He jetted up to New Hampshire yesterday to endorse Romney. I guess this can't hurt NJ if Romney is elected. Christie loves the national spotlight. If I vote repub. in the elections in 2012 I think I would vote Romney with or without Christies endorsement.

Romney wont get the nod, no matter what the dems or moderate cons think. of course that might be what the dems want, after all if romney gets the nod, they know he wont win.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:57 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
As opposed to one asylum patient endorsing another, from the TP fringe groups.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Romney wants to increase military spending and build the missile defense system.

Ok, so where does he propose to find the money for that? (he has not answered)

We are already deficit spending 42% of the federal budget. What do you propose to cut in order to funnel more money to the military? SS? Medicare? Food stamps? Medicaid? Education?

Is Romney advocating borrowing more money to pay for the military expansion? Sure, he wants to buy votes and play the "be scared of the terrorists" card, but he is not being honest with the American people here. The money is NOT there.

He did answer that. He is cutting 5% on the budget on each area except the military each year until the budget is balanced. Also, once people are working again and businesses are thriving, tax revenues will increase proportionately. The money will be there. You cannot keep increasing government spending while tax revenue falls. The situation is not sustainable over time.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Excellent. Romney's problem isn't that he's a Mormon, it's that he's inauthentic. Who knows what we'd be getting with him?

Actually, that is exactly how I see Rick Perry. Added to the fact that he seems very unprepared to be President of the United States. He doesn't even seem all that interested in it really.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
My favorite from that video is the one where he flip-flopped in only 17 days!

In addition to being a flip-flopper, I have to conclude that this man suffers from at least one of these problems...
  • no memory
  • no moral strictures against lying
  • no consistency
None of those personal problems would make me comfortable about having him making the big decisions for our nation.

Mitt Romney is probably one of the most moral people running for President. You might not like him and he might not be your choice of candidate, but I doubt you will ever find anyone that knows him that would say anything about his character.

Many politicians have changed their position on issues over time...even Ronald Reagan. People who are intelligent and can be flexible are able to admit when they are wrong and think differently as they grow as people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections