Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Many politicians have changed their position on issues over time...even Ronald Reagan. People who are intelligent and can be flexible are able to admit when they are wrong and think differently as they grow as people.

But...when John Kerry changed his position on some issues, he was soundly attacked by the GOP. I certainly hope that you were not one of the ones who called Kerry a "flip-flopper", because otherwise you would be flirting with being called a hypocrite.

At least Kerry admitted that he had changed his positions on certain issues, as did Reagan.
As to Mr. Romney, he appears to have no acknowledgement that he has ever held any positions other than his current position of the month on a particular issue.
And, that is what I have a major problem with.

Last edited by Retriever; 10-12-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Romney wont get the nod, no matter what the dems or moderate cons think. of course that might be what the dems want, after all if romney gets the nod, they know he wont win.

Just out of curiosity--Who do you think will be the GOP candidate for POTUS?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
But...when John Kerry changed his position on some issues, he was soundly attacked by the GOP. I certainly hope that you were not one of the ones who called Kerry a "flip-flopper", because otherwise you would be flirting with being called a hypocrite.

At least Kerry admitted that he had changed his positions on certain issues, as did Reagan.
As to Mr. Romney, he appears to have no acknowledgement that he has ever held any positions other than his current position of the month on a particular issue.
And, that is what I have a major problem with.

I didn't hold that against Kerry. There were far too many other reasons not to vote for him.

I heard Michael Reagan say the other day he isn't sure his father could get the nomination nowdays with the criteria some Republicans are setting for the candidates.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,075 times
This is somehow newsworthy? The (cough, conservative, cough) governor of the most heavily taxed state in the country has endorsed the former (cough, conservative, cough) governor of Taxechusetts, who utilized the police power of government to force tax funded healthcare on the citizens of that state.
Anyone else wonder why this country is going the path of the Roman Empire???

Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
This is somehow newsworthy? The (cough, conservative, cough) governor of the most heavily taxed state in the country has endorsed the former (cough, conservative, cough) governor of Taxechusetts, who utilized the police power of government to force tax funded healthcare on the citizens of that state.
Anyone else wonder why this country is going the path of the Roman Empire???

Hmmm...Now that you mention it, Chris Christie does bear a striking physical resemblance to Nero, and he has some of the personality traits of Caligula.
And, Romney does have the "lean and hungry" look and personality of Brutus.
Coincidence? I think not!

Note: Do not forward this to Rick Perry, because he will have no clue regarding these references.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:41 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
well it looks like that endorsement from christie dropped romney to #2 in the new nbc poll. it has h. cain leading now at 27%, romney 23%, and perry 15%. a guy that owns pizza stores is beating the candidate that's been running for 6 years

Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
well it looks like that endorsement from christie dropped romney to #2 in the new nbc poll. it has h. cain leading now at 27%, romney 23%, and perry 15%. a guy that owns pizza stores is beating the candidate that's been running for 6 years

Well, so much for "The Christie Bump".

Oh, and regarding Mr. Cain, he does NOT "own pizza stores".
He is the former CEO of Godfather's Pizza, whose so-called pizza would make any real NJ pizza lover vomit.

Last edited by Retriever; 10-12-2011 at 05:13 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 05:16 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,544 times
I am surprised that Chris Christie was quick to endorse a candidate so quickly, especially considering political consequences in that many who supported him probably did so because they thought he would be competitive against the candidates, specifically Mitt Romney.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
All I know is if the urban elite Republican Machine in the NY/DC corridor pushes a candidate, I'm not voting for them. Romney is the ugly sister choice because everybody else they courted (and I can think of at least 4) turned them down. Now, they will use the Republican media to make like he's the beloved attractive fairy princess with magic fairy dust that will save the country. If any of their other choices would have said "yes" they would be telling you Romney is unelectable, too, and pointing out all of his flaws.

I learned my lesson with McCain when they shoved him down our throats and had the nerve to scold us because we weren't happy with the candidate. They tried to sell him as conservative, something I'm sure they will try to do with Romney.

Maybe Obama's voters will stay home on Election Day. Maybe I'll stay home, too.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
LauraC, I notice you too are in Tn, so quite frankly, we do not matter. Like 40 other states evenly split b/w parties, Tn is not a swing state. The game is strictly the swing states, that excludes the Southeast, the West Coast, and mid-Atlantic plus New England, NY, and NJ.

PS, JM did fairly good with a awful hand. Bush III wasn't going to happen, and any GOP candidate in 2008 would be viewed as Bush III.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections