Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:06 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,664,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post

About the only part of your post I can agree with is that your ancestors would be turning over in their graves if they saw what the Republican party of today had become. However, if they were truly conservative I doubt they'd be nearly as distressed by the current efforts to bring the party back in line with conservative principles as they would with the many self proclaimed conservatives that have long since abandoned Constitutional principles in favor of political expediency and an ever growing government.

You'll have to pardon me if I can no longer take your political commentary seriously. Pseudo-conservatives are one of many reasons I left the Republican party years ago.
Ditto! I'll second that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,988,735 times
Pizza man is down by 11 to Obama, while MR is neck and neck. So I understand why BO fans love that pizza man!!

Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,013,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Republicans are NO different than Democrats. The whole 'party system' is corrupt. Helllllllooooooooooo! WAKE UP!!
We're in full agreement on this. These days both parties are far more concerned with increasing their own power and profit than they are with representing the people that put them in power. They've got to be thrilled with the proliferation of easily misled dupes that blindly assist them in their efforts.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
That just shows how little you know about the constitution. What does the second amendment have to do with legislation on the state level? Maybe you should study up on that before you call someone out.
No need to be cranky just because I am correct.

Are you proposing that any state can violate Constitutionally affirmed rights? What if one state decided it was going to restrict freedom of religion or of the press? Can another state decide that no one can vote until they have attained the age of 30? Maybe one of the much maligned Southern states wants to re-instutute slavery or prohibit women the right to vote?

Do you contend that states are within their 10th Amendment rights to nullify 1st, 13th, 19th, 26th or any other Constitutional amendment just because you erroneously think states have the right to infringe upon the 2nd Amendment? Might want to rethink that.

The Constitution is consistent. Those who wish only to implement the parts with which they agree, not so much.

If you truly wish to understand the rights of states to nullify the federal government's attempt to implement over reaching powers (not the US Constitution) you should go here: Amazon.com: Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century (9781596981492): Thomas E. Woods Jr.: Books&#_

The very clear point I am making is that states cannot pick and choose which parts of the US Constitution they are willing to observe.

Constitutional Conservatism is not for cowards.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times
Quote:
As I said in the earlier thread in which you were objecting to people owning rifles based on their appearance; Neither you nor Romney are or should be the final arbiter of what should and should not be owned.

As far as your claim that those of us that own such rifles are not likely to use them for any good purposes or sport that is utter nonsense. There are scores of readily accessible statistics that refute your claims. As I said earlier in this thread (and you not surprisingly ignored) FBI statistics during the Clinton ban show that restricting access to these firearms does not reduce crime.

Additionally, the Second Amendment does not require firearms to have a sporting purpose. The sporting purpose nonsense is a tactic instituted by the anti-gun crowd to throw yet another road block in the way of law abiding citizens.

Regarding your claim about Romney's ban being approved by pro-gun organizations that is an outright lie. Romney claimed to have an NRA endorsement during his gubernatorial campaign but in reality the NRA declined to endorse either candidate.

The following excerpt is taken from the Gun Owners of America website; The remainder of the GOA position on Romney is available here; Mitt Romney - Gun Owners Of America There is a great deal more information available on Romney's deceit and lack of principle here; Skeleton Closet - Mitt Romney, The Dark Side

About the only part of your post I can agree with is that your ancestors would be turning over in their graves if they saw what the Republican party of today had become. However, if they were truly conservative I doubt they'd be nearly as distressed by the current efforts to bring the party back in line with conservative principles as they would with the many self proclaimed conservatives that have long since abandoned Constitutional principles in favor of political expediency and an ever growing government.

You'll have to pardon me if I can no longer take your political commentary seriously. Pseudo-conservatives are one of many reasons I left the Republican party years ago.

There is no reason or need to own a rifle that looks like a military weapon, unless you have some nefarious deed to use it for. Of course, some people are criminals and they sell such weapons to criminals so that probably answers the question.

There is only one part of your post that I can agree with also and give me hope and tht is that you have left the Republican party...now if we can a few others to go with you maybe we can back to the business of winning elections again.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with sport. No such thing as a 'MAC-10 rifle.' Don't you think you should know these things before you undertake to impose your rules?

MAC-10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would think just from looking at this thing it is obvious a normal, noncriminal person does not have a use for one.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,013,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
There is no reason or need to own a rifle that looks like a military weapon, unless you have some nefarious deed to use it for. Of course, some people are criminals and they sell such weapons to criminals so that probably answers the question.

There is only one part of your post that I can agree with also and give me hope and tht is that you have left the Republican party...now if we can a few others to go with you maybe we can back to the business of winning elections again.

Again, your perceived need has nothing whatsoever to do with Constitutionally guaranteed rights and freedoms.

Carry on with winning your elections. After all, what do the principles and freedoms upon which this country was established matter when compared to political victories?

People of your mindset are no better than the rabid Obama supporters. Nothing else matters as long as you win. It's a disgraceful commentary on the state of our political system.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,664,384 times
Originally Posted by quality guy
Republicans are NO different than Democrats. The whole 'party system' is corrupt. Helllllllooooooooooo! WAKE UP!!

Quote:
We're in full agreement on this. These days both parties are far more concerned with increasing their own power and profit than they are with representing the people that put them in power. They've got to be thrilled with the proliferation of easily misled dupes that blindly assist them in their efforts.
Yep!! They have many 'blind loyalists' dupes...as even evidenced on this Thread!

That's how the current occupant of the WH got elected.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No need to be cranky just because I am correct.

Are you proposing that any state can violate Constitutionally affirmed rights? What if one state decided it was going to restrict freedom of religion or of the press? Can another state decide that no one can vote until they have attained the age of 30? Maybe one of the much maligned Southern states wants to re-instutute slavery or prohibit women the right to vote?

Do you contend that states are within their 10th Amendment rights to nullify 1st, 13th, 19th, 26th or any other Constitutional amendment just because you erroneously think states have the right to infringe upon the 2nd Amendment? Might want to rethink that.

The Constitution is consistent. Those who wish only to implement the parts with which they agree, not so much.

If you truly wish to understand the rights of states to nullify the federal government's attempt to implement over reaching powers (not the US Constitution) you should go here: Amazon.com: Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century (9781596981492): Thomas E. Woods Jr.: Books&#_

The very clear point I am making is that states cannot pick and choose which parts of the US Constitution they are willing to observe.

Constitutional Conservatism is not for cowards.

Surely you know that states can have their own gun control laws concering things such as assault weapons. Having the right to bear arms is a constitutional civil liberty, but that does not mean that as long as each state does not take that right away they cannot deal with gun control on the state level as they see fit.

"Gun laws in the United States regulate the sale, possession, and use of firearms and ammunition. State laws vary, and are independent of existing federal firearms laws, although they are sometimes broader or more limited in scope than the federal laws.For instance, some U.S. states have created assault weapon bans that are similar to the expired federal assault weapons ban. State level laws vary significantly in their form, content, and level of restriction. Forty-four states have a provision in their state constitutions similar to the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The exceptions are California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York. In New York however, the statutory civil rights laws contain a provision virtually identical to the Second Amendment.[1][2] As well, the Supreme Court of the United States has held that the protections of the Second Amendment apply against state governments and their political subdivisions (see: McDonald v. Chicago).[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ates_(by_state)

Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Again, your perceived need has nothing whatsoever to do with Constitutionally guaranteed rights and freedoms.

Carry on with winning your elections. After all, what do the principles and freedoms upon which this country was established matter when compared to political victories?

People of your mindset are no better than the rabid Obama supporters. Nothing else matters as long as you win. It's a disgraceful commentary on the state of our political system.

Not winning has gotten us where we are today. Hope and change...how has that worked out for people in this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections