Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times

Advertisements

How Michele Bachmann was greeted by Herman Cain and Ron Paul in Iowa respectively.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
There are two women with settlements, and they didn't come forward. According to Politico, a third person who knew about the situations contacted Politico with details. Politico went digging and found the women. One refused to talk to them at all, and won't return their phone calls. The other hasn't said much, except through her lawyer. It sounds like she didn't say anything until Cain tried to paint the settlements as "termination agreements," and she was angry that he was trying to make it look like she'd done something wrong. Politico has interviewed a bunch of people who were there at the time this all supposedly happened, and at least two of them said she told them about the allegations immediately after they happened, and was visibly angry and upset. They said he propositioned her, and she felt her job was threatened. There's lots more.....these are just the highlights.

This isn't looking good for him.
yes, but my problem with this is, what exactly are the allogations...
I have a boss, old school Italian, and he has for over 30 years, hugged us. He is harmless...absolutely harmless and would never ever consider any kind of sexual harrassment...but, we were discussing this yesterday, and I said, what is considered sexual harrassment, b/c if my boss hugged the wrong person...wow? Yanno? I'm not a kissy face huggy person, however, my boss is, and he's been like this all his life, his entire family is like this, so it took some getting used to...I wasn't offened in the least, and now I'm ok with it...it just felt a little awkward to be hugging my professional boss, yanno, but now, it's like all of us are family and we understand, but the first time he came to hug me, and I laugh at this, I extended my arm to ward him back and said, "I don't do hugs".

but in the picture below, he's hugging her, so what? Some people are like that, and some people take offense, it's so difficult to know what is appropriate when we were all raised with a different set of rules....I just ponder what these women called Cain's actions as sexual harrassment, yanno?

I mean think about it, there are some women out there who, take everything as an insult, even a man holding a door open for her? And yes, the company left them go, but why, was it b/c they're claims were frivolus just to get a hand out of money? Do any of you realize, how many people in our society take advantage of that? Why do you think companies have training on sexual harrassment? I'm won't be comfortable with these claims until the whole story is exposed...really, I want to hear they're side of it, and I believe this country has a right to know....

Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^Seriously, I don't think the allegations that got monetary rewards had to do with "hugging". Yes, some people are big "bear-huggers" and some aren't. I'd be shocked if that were the issue here. Michele Bachmann is not the one who accused Herman Cain of sexual harassment, either.

There are people on this forum who act like all women are conniving to get men in trouble, while others have told lurid tales of harassment.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I have a boss, old school Italian, and he has for over 30 years, hugged us. He is harmless...absolutely harmless and would never ever consider any kind of sexual harrassment...but, we were discussing this yesterday, and I said, what is considered sexual harrassment, b/c if my boss hugged the wrong person...wow? Yanno? I'm not a kissy face huggy person, however, my boss is, and he's been like this all his life, his entire family is like this, so it took some getting used to...I wasn't offened in the least, and now I'm ok with it...it just felt a little awkward to be hugging my professional boss, yanno, but now, it's like all of us are family and we understand, but the first time he came to hug me, and I laugh at this, I extended my arm to ward him back and said, "I don't do hugs".

but in the picture below, he's hugging her, so what? Some people are like that, and some people take offense, it's so difficult to know what is appropriate when we were all raised with a different set of rules....I just ponder what these women called Cain's actions as sexual harrassment, yanno?

I mean think about it, there are some women out there who, take everything as an insult, even a man holding a door open for her? And yes, the company left them go, but why, was it b/c they're claims were frivolus just to get a hand out of money? Do any of you realize, how many people in our society take advantage of that? Why do you think companies have training on sexual harrassment? I'm won't be comfortable with these claims until the whole story is exposed...really, I want to hear they're side of it, and I believe this country has a right to know....
Here's what politico says other people who worked with this woman at the NRA told them:

Herman Cain allegation: Sources reveal new details - Kenneth P. Vogel and Maggie Haberman and Alexander Burns - POLITICO.com

According to these folks, the woman told them right after it happened that it was an unwanted sexual advance, and that she felt like her job was on the line if she didn't do it. I guess we'll know more if the NRA allows her to release her statement.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,515 times
This is a very simple case. First, you look at who's being accused. If he's your guy, or partisan favorite, you slam the accusers or alleged victims. So R's bring up Clinton, D's bring up Newt and others. Cain could have just been a tiny bit wrong, or much worse, or not have done anything wrong at all. I don't agree with his plans, I don't like his temperament, nor his reactions to this latest problem. If he were a Dem, I don't think I'd like him any better or worse.

With all of this attention, no question the news will come out on this matter. Just seeing how he's handling it makes me shake my head. Then he threatens legal action? He's not a role model for stability no question.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

You are asking the same question most of us are? What did he really do and I will add, can we beleive those who have made the alligations? If indeed, he is guilty of true sexual harrassment any respect I have for him and his success would disappear quickly, but if the young women are either lieing or over reacting they should hang their heads for possibly detroying someone.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Seriously, I don't think the allegations that got monetary rewards had to do with "hugging". Yes, some people are big "bear-huggers" and some aren't. I'd be shocked if that were the issue here. Michele Bachmann is not the one who accused Herman Cain of sexual harassment, either.

There are people on this forum who act like all women are conniving to get men in trouble, while others have told lurid tales of harassment.
Believe it or not it could have a lot to do with hugging or a remark that could have been taken the wrong way. Some people do more touching and make comments they do not consider wrong, others react to such actions. I don't know if he did something, but I do know, paying someone off to keep it quiet isn't unusual. We had a situation within our family where our insurance company paid off a family because of a drowning in our pool. It was not our fault in anyway, but it was easier & cheaper for the insurance company than the law suit would have been.

Nita

Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I've been sexually harassed, and it's not funny. When I was a very young, newly married woman--30 years ago--I worked as a lobbyist in a state legislature for a faith based coalition working on rural issues. It was a time when there were very few women lobbyists, and some of those reps were awful. I had my backside grabbed, I had one guy actually ask me what "I was going to do for him" if he voted on a bill that was important to the group I worked for, and I got asked out for "drinks and whatever" all the time. It was horrible--I went home either in tears or angry most days, but I tried not to let it show to anyone else. I was trying to prove myself, so I didn't want to complain, and I didn't want to tell my husband because he would have become unglued. I finally told my board what was going on, and bless their hearts, they started recruiting clergy and nuns to go with me to "help lobby" whenever I had to be at the capital. That ended it pretty quick.

This stuff is NOT a joke, and I don't know any woman, let alone the three who've come out now, who would complain about a fatherly hug from anyone. I think some of these guys have such a huge sense of entitlement that they feel like they can do anything and get away with it.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are asking the same question most of us are? What did he really do and I will add, can we beleive those who have made the alligations? If indeed, he is guilty of true sexual harrassment any respect I have for him and his success would disappear quickly, but if the young women are either lieing or over reacting they should hang their heads for possibly detroying someone.
they should, but they won't, believe me, they don't care....I saw on the news, where septa was actually forced to put cameras inside and outside they're public transportation in Philly, why, you might ask? Cuz there were so many scum bags who ran for the bus, and the cameras showed them, and then they would position themselves on the floor or the seat, as if they fell and hurt they're backs...and Septa couldn't afford all the law suits any more....yeah, real scum bags....dirt bags, theives, liers, you know the kind.

And I'm thinking that is what this is all about...otherwise, the company wouldn't have given them a settlement to let them go. I believe most companies, let the one go that is violating company policy...and they know, believe me....

Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I've been sexually harassed, and it's not funny. When I was a very young, newly married woman--30 years ago--I worked as a lobbyist in a state legislature for a faith based coalition working on rural issues. It was a time when there were very few women lobbyists, and some of those reps were awful. I had my backside grabbed, I had one guy actually ask me what "I was going to do for him" if he voted on a bill that was important to the group I worked for, and I got asked out for "drinks and whatever" all the time. It was horrible--I went home either in tears or angry most days. I was trying to prove myself, so I didn't want to complain, and I didn't want to tell my husband because he would have become unglued. I finally told my board what was going on, and bless their hearts, they started recruiting clergy and nuns to go with me whenever I had to be at the capital. That ended it pretty quick.

This stuff is NOT a joke, and I don't know any woman, let alone the three who've come out now, who would complain about a fatherly hug from anyone. I think some of these guys have such a huge sense of entitlement that they feel like they can do anything and get away with it.
and no one said it was!....and no one said, there are women who are actually sexually harrassed, so I suggest you regroup....and not take everything so personal...I was to...a lot of us were...and no, it's not funny, but no one is mocking or laughing at women who actually were sexually harrassed. Mostly happens when we're young, and these guys know we don't have much experience, and wouldn't hall off and slap them across the face...however, it happens, there are indeed scum bags out there...

and sorry this happened to you, but please don't take what we said personally...it wasn't meant that way. We were discussing women who are not harrassed and use sexual harrassment as a money maker...and trust me, you wouldn't believe how many do. Indeed, it can work both ways...but no one was laughing at anyone who was truly sexually harrassed...we discussing a whole different subject. Please note that before taking something personal....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections