Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 08:43 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's what politico says other people who worked with this woman at the NRA told them:

Herman Cain allegation: Sources reveal new details - Kenneth P. Vogel and Maggie Haberman and Alexander Burns - POLITICO.com

According to these folks, the woman told them right after it happened that it was an unwanted sexual advance, and that she felt like her job was on the line if she didn't do it. I guess we'll know more if the NRA allows her to release her statement.
My sister's brother's uncle's next-door-neighbor's barber says it MUST be true.

The lawyer on the case can't remember any details without the paperwork, yet these people remember every detail all those years later. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
and no one said it was!....and no one said, there are not women who are actually sexually harrassed, so I suggest you regroup....and not take everything so personal...I was to...a lot of us were...and no, it's not funny, but no one is mocking or laughing at women who actually were sexually harrassed. Mostly happens when we're young, and these guys know we don't have much experience, and wouldn't hall off and slap them across the face...however, it happens, there are indeed scum bags out there...

and sorry this happened to you, but please don't take what we said personally...it wasn't meant that way. We were discussing women who are not harrassed and use sexual harrassment as a money maker...and trust me, you wouldn't believe how many do.
I'm not taking it personally, and I'm not automatically assuming that Cain did this without evidence. This business about women throwing out false claims constantly is really annoying though, because you lose so much more than you gain when you come forward. I was lucky, but in most work environments you get labeled as someone who "can't play with the big boys" or as a cry baby. If you leave, you have to explain the whole thing or at least part of it, to a potential employer who's wondering why you walked away from your job, and assumes you did something wrong. It's happened to a number of my friends, and it's awful. I don't see an up side to coming forward until it gets so bad that you can't take it anymore, even if a financial settlement is involved.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:53 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
I'm not taking it personally, and I'm not automatically assuming that Cain did this without evidence. This business about women throwing out false claims constantly is really annoying though, because you lose so much more than you gain when you come forward. I was lucky, but in most work environments you get labeled as someone who "can't play with the big boys" or as a cry baby. If you leave, you have to explain the whole thing or at least part of it, to a potential employer who's wondering why you walked away from your job, and assumes you did something wrong. It's happened to a number of my friends, and it's awful. I don't see an up side to coming forward until it gets so bad that you can't take it anymore, even if a financial settlement is involved.
well, you must have taken it personal, or you wouldn't be posting this...listen, I know it's a sensitive subject, like I said, and explained, I to was sexually harrassed...however, there are a whole lot of women out there who claim this to make a buck.

Your case is not what we were referring to...and I'm sorry you have been made to go thru this...if someone asks you why you left a job, you could always answer, "it was a personal matter that you choose not to discuss"....

I work for a corporation, a huge one, and you can't imagine all the law suits we've had...more that were from women trying to make a buck...I even had a neighbor years ago, that was known by all the stores in the community, b/c she would fake falling and then sue them...

so, like I said before, it works both ways, but no one was attacking valid harrassments....we women stick together on that...however, what we were joking about had nothing to do with women who were legitimentally violated...and by the way....I was also sexually abused by an uncle as a kid...and I refuse to let it ruin my life, so I joke about that to...I won't allow the bad moments in my life to dictate who I am.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are asking the same question most of us are? What did he really do and I will add, can we beleive those who have made the alligations? If indeed, he is guilty of true sexual harrassment any respect I have for him and his success would disappear quickly, but if the young women are either lieing or over reacting they should hang their heads for possibly detroying someone.
They made their accusations long ago. They didn't bring this out to the press now. So why should they hang their heads? The NRA evidently thought enough of them and their claims to settle this. $35,000 and $45,000 settlements may not be substantial, but there is no evidence that these women were seeking large monetary settlements, then or now.

We're never going to know the truth of this matter. It's he-said, she-said, and people are going to believe what they want.

The real point of this issue is that this is how Americans test and vet their candidates. Someone throws their hat in the ring, and people begin turning over rocks. Opponents look for dirt. Journalists look for dirt. People who are simply curious look for dirt. The test isn't whether or not dirt will be found. Dirt will be found. It will be found and it will be flung. The test is in how the candidate handles himself.

I'm not very impressed with how Cain has handled this. He was given advance notice of 10 days by Politico that they were going to release the story. That's a lifetime in a political campaign. And yet Cain acted totally blindsided. His campaign hadn't crafted a response, he detoured from a consistent, composed answer, to inconsistent denial and blame. He's now threatened a lawsuit? For what? He was accused years ago, these two women had nothing to do with the release of the story. If Cain wants to rise above this, he's got to stop acting like a victim and act like someone who had a misunderstanding years ago, resolved the misunderstanding, and put it behind him.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
but there is no evidence that these women were seeking large monetary settlements, then or now.
and there is no evidence that they were not...listen, 35,000 to someone who makes maybe 50,000 or 60,000 a year is a lot of money...so, your comment, can also work both ways...

Quote:
We're never going to know the truth of this matter. It's he-said, she-said, and people are going to believe what they want.
I agree, but would really like to know the truth, as I said before, why did this come out now when he started gaining popularity? Why not before?

Quote:
The real point of this issue is that this is how Americans test and vet their candidates. Someone throws their hat in the ring, and people begin turning over rocks. Opponents look for dirt. Journalists look for dirt. People who are simply curious look for dirt. The test isn't whether or not dirt will be found. Dirt will be found. It will be found and it will be flung. The test is in how the candidate handles himself.
You absolutely right and I said this about a month ago to a co-worker, "if Cain becomes a threat to them, they will deface him/slander him in any way they can..." and look what happened.

Quote:
I'm not very impressed with how Cain has handled this.
I'm not either....and agree.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
What a creep. Now he's not only an establishment neocon statist, but he's also a creep.
With a comment like that, you have just joined the gullible sheeple

No facts, just rumors and allegations, and you bought it all. What a tool some people allow themselves to become.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, you must have taken it personal, or you wouldn't be posting this...listen, I know it's a sensitive subject, like I said, and explained, I to was sexually harrassed...however, there are a whole lot of women out there who claim this to make a buck.

Your case is not what we were referring to...and I'm sorry you have been made to go thru this...if someone asks you why you left a job, you could always answer, "it was a personal matter that you choose not to discuss"....

I work for a corporation, a huge one, and you can't imagine all the law suits we've had...more that were from women trying to make a buck...I even had a neighbor years ago, that was known by all the stores in the community, b/c she would fake falling and then sue them...

so, like I said before, it works both ways, but no one was attacking valid harrassments....we women stick together on that...however, what we were joking about had nothing to do with women who were legitimentally violated...and by the way....I was also sexually abused by an uncle as a kid...and I refuse to let it ruin my life, so I joke about that to...I won't allow the bad moments in my life to dictate who I am.
My point is simply this--I don't know what type of women work for your company, or in what type of positions, but I can't imagine a well educated, career oriented professional (which it sounds like these women with complaints against Cain are--at least the reports say they're all successful in their field) making false accusations, and thinking that it's going to help them move up or get ahead. Maybe my age is showing--I'm old enough that I was on the tail end of that first tier of women who went to graduate school, and who went out in the world trying to do more than teach, or work as a secretary or nurse. We put up with all the crap, scratched and clawed to get ahead, and had to fight like heck to make sure the women coming after us didn't have to put up with the same garbage. If one woman makes a false complaint, then she does--but three women (that we know of) with complaints against the same guy? Give me a break.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not very impressed with how Cain has handled this. He was given advance notice of 10 days by Politico that they were going to release the story. That's a lifetime in a political campaign. And yet Cain acted totally blindsided. His campaign hadn't crafted a response, he detoured from a consistent, composed answer, to inconsistent denial and blame. He's now threatened a lawsuit? For what? He was accused years ago, these two women had nothing to do with the release of the story. If Cain wants to rise above this, he's got to stop acting like a victim and act like someone who had a misunderstanding years ago, resolved the misunderstanding, and put it behind him.
Cain is just not used to having to deal with lies and fabrications and character assassinations. Haven't you ever witnessed someone who was in a similar circumstance, and came back with a perfect response, and you thought to yourself, "this guy must have a lot of practice dealing with this stuff"? This just shows me that Cain is not a well practiced, smooth operator and slickster, like Bill Clinton.

I don't know what Politico told Cain was in the article, so I don't know exactly what he and his campaign thought were going to have to deal with. Maybe Cain wanted to deal with the smears as they became public, and not look like he was reading from a prepared statement, as if he were hiding behind his lawyers like a John Edwards or parsing his words like a Bill Clinton. Cain is not used to having to defend himself from bimbo eruptions.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 AM

One last thought--I think Bill Clinton is scum. If they wouldn't have found "evidence" on that dress, Clinton's situation would have been the same as this one--he said she said, she's lying or looking for money or attention, she's mentally ill. How many of you R's backed Clinton to the wall when he was going through his media mess? How many of you said it was "an attack from the conservative media" and a smear campaign? I think other sides and more information will come out eventually on this, but automatically assuming that these three women were lying 15 years ago, long before he was running for office, just because you like Cain, is the most hypocritical thing I've ever seen. I'm not directing this to any one person here--just the attitude of some in general.

On a personal level, I could care less one way or another about him--he was never going to get the nomination, I've never taken him seriously as a candidate, and it was pretty clear that he was going to self destruct at some point long before the primary.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
My point is simply this--I don't know what type of women work for your company, or in what type of positions, but I can't imagine a well educated, career oriented professional (which it sounds like these women with complaints against Cain are--at least the reports say they're all successful in their field) making false accusations, and thinking that it's going to help them move up or get ahead. Maybe my age is showing--I'm old enough that I was on the tail end of that first tier of women who went to graduate school, and who went out in the world trying to do more than teach, or work as a secretary or nurse. We put up with all the crap, scratched and clawed to get ahead, and had to fight like heck to make sure the women coming after us didn't have to put up with the same garbage. If one woman makes a false complaint, then she does--but three women (that we know of) with complaints against the same guy? Give me a break.
mb...I'm 62 and have seen a lot, you may have seen my post where I was sexually harrassed as well, on a job, and I told about it, but didn't sue...my point is, the company usually knows what is real and what isn't...not all the time...but we have so many women from all walks of life, mostly professional, some are not...but you cannot discriminate...and we do have a lot of women who believe that 35,000 - 45,000 is worth it to make a false accusation...who are hurting for money and don't think about they're careers or the lives of others, it's all about instant gratification...and yes, I believe your naive...

and, at this point in time, until they can actually give me the names of these women, I can't believe them...so, I'm saying the same thing, give me a break....

Politics are extremely dirty...they were since the beginning of time, and people have been killed over them....wars have been fought over them, and votes are fixed, people's names are slandered and they put the men in there they want us to vote for, we don't really have a choice...they just let us believe we do...

again, I will say, I wouldn't be at all surprised if these stories were made up, as I do not believe the media...they thrive on sensationalisum....did Cain handle this appropriately, no...but the jury isn't out as far as I'm concerned on this subject, however, my eyebrow is raised, but it isn't cut and dry...

I worked all kinds of jobs in my lifetime and have seen a whole lot...I wish I were still naieve, but now distrust and question everything I hear, nothing is black and white, there are always grey areas...

Truthfully, I honestly expected them to slander Cain....because he was gaining popularity way to fast, and wouldn't in the least bit be surprised if it was his own party...

Oh if we only knew what truly goes on in this country. Honestly...

but, I'm on your side, and understand where you coming from and why....

So we agree to disagree...I've seen a lot of what I didn't want to see I suppose, but it really wakes you up...and I'm no longer the person I used to be, very trusting and gullible....

bet you and I could share some stories....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections