Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:56 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Hey! We agree on one point...yup, Bush's use of coke and booze sure didn't stop him from getting elected.

On topic: Cain's could rape , beat, abuse women in public and his supporters wouldn't mind...they are Repug/Teaparty people ...a little sexual harrassment of women is no big deal....they're ONLY women...

It's only a big deal to them if a Democrat does it....it won't affect Cain's supporters at all...they probably applaud his actions...
You probably think screwing your secretary in your office or going to church with racists and having cop killers for pals is no big deal either......so whats the differance????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 06:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You probably think screwing your secretary in your office or going to church with racists and having cop killers for pals is no big deal either......so whats the differance????
And, as usual, you'd be wrong. I think screwing a secretary in your office is deplorable and stupid.

As to the other stuff , I don't know anyone who did that....and neither do you....so I won't form an opinion...

Fact: Cain supporters do NOT care and will support him anyway and that should make you happy.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:00 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
I think it's a form of narcissism. (And I'm sure it happens on both sides.) We all have "blind-spots" when it comes to our views and beliefs and favorite candidates etc...The true test comes during a general election when a candidate has to appeal to Independents and some voters on the "other side" in order to win a majority vote...Herman Cain definitely has a lot of "die-hard supporters" right now. But I agree with the OP that this probably won't guarantee a win for him in the general election. There are a lot of factors to "look at" and consider when a majority vote is needed. A candidate needs "mass appeal."

Old 11-05-2011, 07:02 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
OK, so I know you guys don't believe all the sexual harassment allegations against Cain, dismiss them as "liberal media smear", "high-tech lynching" etc. You guys stand with him now, and say you even make him the GOP nominee. But you also want to beat Obama more than anything else in the world.

Now what happens if more details emerge about Cain after the GOP nomination, this time details so damaging that all other independent/moderate/neutral voters won't touch Cain with a barge-pole after that? If Cain gets painted as a serial sex offender, you will basically be handing Obama a landslide victory. Did you consider that possibility? What then? After the GOP nomination, the so-called "liberal media" will have an incredible incentive to dig up every dirt they can.

I have been mulling over this, and decided to ask.
In answering questions about his signature 999 plan, and how it would work,
Cain replied "I have no idea".

He thinks China is trying to develop nuclear weapons. China has Had them since 1964. They have no carriers though.

He talks about 22% of "Hidden taxes" being eliminated in his plan. Half of all revenues collected from corporations now would remain in place. Interesting.

He has various interviews, statements, articles and blogs on file about the economy for the last ten years plus. He admits he was wrong about the economy then, in spite of the names he called those that said it was getting dangerous then. But, Cain states, he now has people around him that could provide him with useful data so he will be better informed.

He has amongst the most simplistic, and ignorant answers to foreign policy questions, both general and specific, that I think any candidate has ever voiced. But they were designed for a target audience that wants simple sound-bites and inspirational talk, not people actively searching for answers and a leader.

I think Cain's personal habits and or transgressions are amongst the least of our problems. I also think some of the other candidates are way too smart not to keep asking him questions, and expecting stupid answers.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Cain isn't going anywhere, because certain factions of the R party with lots of money and power don't want him to. These allegations came out of the R camp--they weren't leaked to FOX, because FOX thinks Cain or Perry are their guys--especially once the finger pointing started at Perry for potentially leaking this, and they they wouldn't run with them. That's why they went to Politico--a more liberal news source. If this had come out of D opp research, it would have all been dumped in the news after the primary to do the most damage for the general, and probably as an "october surprise" next year.

I promise--there will be more. Right now they're dealing with legitimate accusations--there's proof that settlements were made--but if they run out of those, it'll go in to a whisper campaign, and it's probably going to get more ruthless and vicious the longer he's in the race. Remember how John McCain's adopted daughter got turned into his love child with a black mistress? That's how Rove rolls. You're used to seeing it directed more toward D's, but he, and others, are an equal opportunity smear machine if they want someone out.

As far as Cain himself--he will never win a general election, even without all the negative campaigning. His stands on issues are way too extreme to appeal to moderates and independents. He's a national joke. That's why the R establishment wants to take him out to begin with. I've said this before, but some days I think it would probably be best if we let a tea party candidate get the nomination, get completely killed in the general, and then we'd be done with all this radical right wing garbage. The tea party hurts more than it helps. They're not going to go third party--they'll always line up and vote for a R--so no matter how much they yell, it won't make much difference.

Last edited by mb1547; 11-05-2011 at 08:29 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
One more thought--has anyone ever considered the possibility that this was all planned to keep the negative spotlight on Cain or Perry so no one throws hardballs at Romney as we get closer to the primary?

I've been around politics for too long to not expect the ugly and the devious.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,918 times
Both parties have their deviant ways, although I think the Republicans have far more control than the Dems, as evidenced by some very weak Dem candidates. What is perceived to be a weak R field this cycle is actually better than last time.

However, the decisions of people like Mitch Daniels and others not to run, shows just how nasty a world this is. There are far better people, both Dem and R, that could run a great race, and be good if elected. We the people lose out on them due to the Operatives. Pawlenty is a great guy, great experience, and a good problem solver. He's low single digits now, far below some people that probably couldn't even work for him.

In this cycle, it just proves the time wasted on Partisanship. Most of the people voicing opinions seem to have little time to research their choices. Some say not liking Cain as a candidate makes me a Lib, nothing could be further from the truth. But many Republicans are so fed up with the Party now, they seek ever more radical candidates, searching for hope and change. Living life in the gutter has become a way of life for many politicians, and most not by choice.

Hopefully, the people can regain their composure and concentrate on results and proposals.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
dixiegirl7, The primaries have successively led themselves to ever more embarrassing fields, and 2012 is the worst I've seen yet, with the solid ones like Daniels and Christie choosing to sit out, while the 2nd string is on display. This would be like watching an MLB WS where all starters were chosen (rules do not permit it, thankfully) from September call up rookies, instead of vets.

lol...that's a perfect analogy, Bob. Sad but true!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
It's not the Democrats who need to topple Cain. He is likely the candidate Obama could trounce. It is GOP challengers who want to put an early end to his campaign. They know he will fall eventually, but the longer he is viable the more money goes his way.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Yes, the 'not deep thinkers' are exactly why we have had this cartoonish contest so far. Even I am starting to get embarrassed by it all...sheesh.
You and I finally agree on something, Dixiegirl. I'm embarrassed about the Republican field, too, and I mean that sincerely. What an image we are projecting to the world with these cartoon characters, Bachmann, Perry and now Cain. This is the best and the brightest that the GOP can muster? We completely disagree on Romney's character, but at least I've never doubted that he understands the key issues, and could handle the office of president. These other clowns, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections