Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
You win the thread.

On a related note, what is with this new narrative that the GOP should pick Gingrich because he will destroy Obama in the debates? He really hasn't destroyed anyone in the Republican debates thus far.

Good point. He has actually just spouted a load of hyperbole and bs and took shots at the media and the debate moderators. The crowd eats that up so they don't notice that his answers generally lack substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 12:29 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,885,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
On a related note, what is with this new narrative that the GOP should pick Gingrich because he will destroy Obama in the debates? He really hasn't destroyed anyone in the Republican debates thus far.
Good point. I actually haven't seen anybody on the stage yet who would destroy Obama in a debate, although Gingrich, at least, could probably remember his talking points. Cain would need to write on his hand what the U.S. position was in Libya, Perry would have to do the same to remember things he wants the government to do away with, and Romney--well, poor Romney would have the hardest task of all. He'd have to try to remember who he was, not an easy feat as that changes given the day of the week.

Lots of hurdles to overcome for that group. Maybe Gingrich really is the best of the bunch, though that falls short of a ringing endorsement, given his competition.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Good point. I actually haven't seen anybody on the stage yet who would destroy Obama in a debate, although Gingrich, at least, could probably remember his talking points. Cain would need to write on his hand what the U.S. position was in Libya, Perry would have to do the same to remember things he wants the government to do away with, and Romney--well, poor Romney would have the hardest task of all. He'd have to try to remember who he was, not an easy feat as that changes given the day of the week.

Lots of hurdles to overcome for that group. Maybe Gingrich really is the best of the bunch, though that falls short of a ringing endorsement, given his competition.
Agreed. Obama would probably not even have to say anything in a debate against Romney. If he just let Romney talk long enough, Romney beat himself by proving what he just said was false.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,977,612 times
It could be that old Bill hates Barry more than the conservatives and he thinks Newt has the best position to win. There are a lot of Clinton era democrats that want Barry out ... because they are not communists like Barry.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
It could be that old Bill hates Barry more than the conservatives and he thinks Newt has the best position to win. There are a lot of Clinton era democrats that want Barry out ... because they are not communists like Barry.
Yeah, that's got to be it. I suggest you and all of the other Republicans start listening very closely to what old Bill says and follow his advice to the tee... that will be a sure way to win! (Old Bill will have you convinced that you should nominate Bachmann before he's through with you.)

Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,392,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Clinton has a bone to pick with Obama, all right, but it isn't over political beliefs. It's more personal than that.

Last edited by Gurbie; 11-28-2011 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,977,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Yeah, that's got to be it. I suggest you and all of the other Republicans start listening very closely to what old Bill says and follow his advice to the tee... that will be a sure way to win! (Old Bill will have you convinced that you should nominate Bachmann before he's through with you.)
Its not just Bill ... many democrats are bailing on Obama ... because Obama is not a democrat.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 PM

858 posts, read 708,513 times
I don't consider myself one party or another but I side with the Democrats on many of the issues so take it for what it's worth. I have watched the debates and kept up with the candidates. I look for 2 things in people's answers...how and why. Without that, the answers given mean nothing to me. For someone to get up there and spew rhetoric without explaining why it will work, why they feel that way and how it's better than someone else's plan then it's useless to me as a voter. Newt has been very effective in explaining his position and why he thinks it will work. I honestly think this is what helped Obama win over McCain and what has helped Newt rise in the polls.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:29 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
On a stage full of mental midgets, anyone with a brain will stand out.

I don't dispute that Gingrich is a smart guy, but unfortunately for him, many of us remember his tenure as Speaker. This is how I best remember Newt.

Cry Baby Newt Gingrich - Funny Pictures
I had to laugh when I read your remarks because I was just thinking that "In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man is king." Those who talk of Gingrich as though he is remarkably brilliant are making that claim by comparing him to other politicians.....low bar.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:41 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Agreed. Obama would probably not even have to say anything in a debate against Romney. If he just let Romney talk long enough, Romney beat himself by proving what he just said was false.

You just keep thinking that...lol. If Romney is the nominee, Obama is going to have his work cut out for him. It is not going to be pretty for Obama. For that matter, Newt will finish him in a debate also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections