Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You obviously have never met some of my LDS friends. Never say never.
LOL! Okay. I vow to never say "never" again. But I will say that Mormons are less likely to say something like that than most other Christians. If we were only willing to vote for someone of our own religion, we'd have never been able to vote for President of the United States before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Southern Baptists tending to vote for a fellow Baptist . . .
Normally, I don't favor this kind of thinking, but if it happened with Baptists in this election, I wouldn't mind.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
That's all the illegal aliens cooking and cleaning in the hotels...
No, the bulk of the illegals don't vote. It's the transplanted liberals that came here after destroying their own states with their unthinking feel good nonsense and are now working at a fevered pace to make Nevada more like the self-created wasteland they fled.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm a Mormon and am also an Obama supporter, as is my husband and three of my best friends.
From the small sample size of Mormons I know in California I would have guessed Mormon Obama supporters were non-existent.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Normally, I don't favor this kind of thinking, but if it happened with Baptists in this election, I wouldn't mind.

I was a Southern Baptist until I was in my mid thirties and I never heard anything about politics or was told who to vote for or who you shouldn't vote for. I think that is very limited in some of the more fundamentalist churches. Some the the evangelical leaders making comments about Christians not voting for Mormons are not Baptists also.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
That sort of comment is being made quite publicly by many of the evangelical leaders concerning Mormons and Mitt Romney. The Pastor Jeffress is just one in several.
If they were truly Evangelicals they wouldn't be saying it.

I don't know who this Jeffress character is - sounds kind of like Jeffs, he's probably related to Warren - but I assume he's some kind of glory-seeking wingnut in the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson/Fred Phelps vein. I wasn't really referring to those types of folks (granted I did say "anyone," my mistake), I was mainly referring to regular, everyday folks who actually have some grain of common sense.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Or are they more politically diverse than that?

Any Mormons here for Gingrich? Paul? Santorum? Obama?
Romney would likely get far majority of the mormon vote because if he was to win the nomination and on to the presidency we could see a trend of evangelicals and catholics converting to mormonism.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Romney would likely get far majority of the mormon vote because if he was to win the nomination and on to the presidency we could see a trend of evangelicals and catholics converting to mormonism.
Dont worry about that, its been happening for a century anyway.....

but seriously, if I were to honestly guess Id say 65-68%, thats big though, because the church is non political, the most you would see is a blurb in the Church News that Romney is running for Pres, then they would mention other Mormons in high public office.
Now in the general election in Utah if Romney gets the nomination, I'd imagine somewhere around 70% Romney ticket 30% Obama
2008 was 62%-34% for McCain vs Obama

Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,077 times
Most all Mormons will vote for a Mormon. If any of you are unfamiliar with their religion you should read the fascinating tale that it is. The United States government fought the Mormons long and hard for many years in hopes of them moving away. Utah is basically a Mormon country within the United States.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:53 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If they were truly Evangelicals they wouldn't be saying it.

I don't know who this Jeffress character is - sounds kind of like Jeffs, he's probably related to Warren - but I assume he's some kind of glory-seeking wingnut in the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson/Fred Phelps vein. I wasn't really referring to those types of folks (granted I did say "anyone," my mistake), I was mainly referring to regular, everyday folks who actually have some grain of common sense.

Actually, the troublesome part is that he is the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, TX. It is one of the largest, if not the largest, churches in TX. It has a membership of over 10,000. He has a radio show, a tv show and has written a dozen or so books. He is very well educated with a doctorate in divinity. You would think he should know better.

First Baptist Dallas | Our Pastor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections