Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:00 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
if he was to win the nomination and on to the presidency we could see a trend of evangelicals and catholics converting to mormonism.
Why on earth would they do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,557,079 times
Regardless of what religion he is - he was caught lying last night about one of his ads. If he lies now, he will not change when he gets elected.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Or are they more politically diverse than that?

Any Mormons here for Gingrich? Paul? Santorum? Obama?
I am sure a large number of them will, but I think they will vote for him because they think he is the best choice as well as being a Mormon. Most people vote for someone they feel they can identify with, that is human nature.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Probably. And? Who cares? Mormons usually vote Republican any way. No news there.

A lot of, not all, black folks voted for Obama in '08 because he is black.

A lot of, not all, white folks voted for McCain in '08 because he is white.

Sorry, not a Mormon.
More black voted for Obama because he was black, than whites voted for McCain because he was white.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Regardless of what religion he is - he was caught lying last night about one of his ads. If he lies now, he will not change when he gets elected.

He wasn't lying about the ad, he was just simply not aware of the ad. Much of the time the cadidates are not familiar with the ads being run. However, the ad is actually true. Gingrich did say what the ad says he said.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...h-said-spanis/

Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I don't see Huntsman running again, the GOP base is too extreme.
What is it about smaller government, lower taxes and free markets that scare you?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 PM

428 posts, read 487,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
He wasn't lying about the ad, he was just simply not aware of the ad. Much of the time the cadidates are not familiar with the ads being run. However, the ad is actually true. Gingrich did say what the ad says he said.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...h-said-spanis/
Are you referring to the Romney ad that criticizes Gingrich for his "language of the ghetto" comment? How could Romney not be aware of this ad when he himself approved it at the end?

And besides, Romney twisted Gingrich's words. (See this FactCheck.org link, with the story halfway down the page.) Gingrich said:

Quote:
"[W]e should replace bilingual education with immersion in English so people learn the common language of the country and so they learn the language of prosperity, not the language of living in a ghetto."
All non-English languages are being spoken about, not just Spanish. From this quote it is clear that Gingrich is talking about how knowing English brings more opportunities for someone living in the US.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 PM

791 posts, read 460,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not crazy about Obama, but I find Congress more to blame than I do him. The House is absolutely determined to see him fail. They are cutting off their nose (Obama) to spite their face (their country). I would have voted for Huntsman over Obama in a split second, and just to make it clear... I am not opposed to Romney. I'm just not a big supporter. I seriously believe that Huntsman will run again as soon as he can. I would rather see that happen in 2016 (which would be the case if Obama wins) than in 2020 (which would be the case if the Republican candidate wins). I think Romney is the best of the remaining Republican candidates by a long shot.
Does that explain the gridlock when Obama had a veto-proof majority in the House? I think not...

Old 01-27-2012, 04:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What is it about smaller government, lower taxes and free markets that scare you?
More homelessness, more pollution, more worker exploitation, more hunger, less health care to name a few.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, if you'll remember back in 2008, Romney dropped out of the face fairly early because it was clear he didn't have a chance. Lots can happen in 4 years.
Romney also sprinted HARD to the right (and actually did so prior to his run in 08). Now if Huntsman takes the same hard right turn Romney did than perhaps he could be back, but I think Huntsman has too much character and self respect to turn into the hard right bomb throw Mitt has become in order to placate that bat s*** base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections