Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I'd bet at least 90% of Mormons will vote for Romney.
90% is the starting point...hell, he'll sew up nearly all of the vote. It's not up for grabs with the exception of a few jackleg Mormons that don't adhere to the faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who are you kidding?

Romney is going to win the Mormon vote by such a landslide that the other candidates may as well avoid even TRYING to get the Mormon vote. He'll take it by at least 90-95% if not damn near ALL of it.
No, not that much. Mormons are not hyper political in general. Even though most LDS people are conservative the church does not endorse nor talk about politicians.............ever. Im going by people I talk to, and friends in other states.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Of course they will. It won't help him anywhere except possibly AZ which could be in play this year with changing demographics. Nationwide, many more will vote against him or sit this one out because he is LDS. Maybe it is only a percent to two, but it could be the difference in some toss up states.

In the general election it could make a difference in Nevada also. The states that have more LDS members will not have the bias as much against him for being Mormon either because of the familiarity. There just aren't many LDS in the south so people judge what they don't know. Once you have known people and live around them, it makes them less of a mystery. We do have an LDS church here in my city and their missionaries out doing their mission work all over town so I think that may be why there is less bigotry about it. I have met and talked to a few of the missionary kids, but other than that I don't know anyone here in town that is LDS. The church is big and I see their parking lot is very full when they meet, so I wonder who goes there?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
That's odd he polls very well in Nevada and has a lot of support. Maybe it's among the non LDS folks.
I referenced people, not polls. Polls in NV mean very little. Obama also polls well here thanks to the liberal populace of our population centers.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Really hate to spoil this party. But i know a mormon really really well.

She is voting for Obama, and she did the first time around.

I would just hope that the Mormon religion, has more common sense then some, who vote based only on color, and vote for the candidate they truly feel will serve this Country best.
A Mormon Obama supporter...wel I'll be darned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Which is a little surprising considering that Orville Hickman Browning, the defense lawyer in the Joseph Smith murder trial, was one of the founders of the Republican party.
I know, right? Apparently, when Utah first entered the Union, the mormons there were mostly Democrat because the GOP was opposed to polygamy--so were the Dems, but the Republicans were the majority party then. But by 1912, it was only one of two states to vote for Republican Taft over TR and Wilson. Not sure why they shifted sides though.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Sort of saved Harry Reid

Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I don't see Huntsman running again, the GOP base is too extreme.
Well, if you'll remember back in 2008, Romney dropped out of the face fairly early because it was clear he didn't have a chance. Lots can happen in 4 years.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM

791 posts, read 460,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
If Romney is running against Obama, do you think they will still feel that way?
Obama is just as bad on the 2nd Amendment, maybe even worse!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Or are they more politically diverse than that?

Any Mormons here for Gingrich? Paul? Santorum? Obama?
I'm speaking only from a Western perspective. I live in Idaho, and know the Mormons out here well.

They are pretty diverse as a group; there are active Mormons in the Democratic party, and they are much like any other group of Americans in the degree of their particular political beliefs. Most, whether Republican or Democrat, are moderately conservative, but they have folks who are out on the fringes of either side. And some are Libertarians, Greens, and you name it.

Mitt is very popular among them, for sure. He is still well liked for saving the Salt Lake Winter Olympics; that was a very big deal for them, and the civic leadership effort at putting the Olympics together was falling apart when Mitt took over. He did a very good job of it, too- he stayed on budget and stayed on time, and the city was ill prepared when it won the Olympics. The major roads were all way overdue for a major overhaul, but the Olympics made them a necessity, and Mitt was particularly good with handling that major, and expensive problem.

The other thing Mormons appreciate is Mitt is what's called a True Blue Mormon. He's active in his church, pays his tithing, and lives the belief's principles in full accordance. That stuff makes him very favorable in their view, but they're not a bunch of robots- there are going to be some of them who vote for others, don't like him, and all the other stuff.

He has some very important volunteer staff members in Great Basin. His treasurer is an Idahoan, and there are others who are filling other important campaign positions, and this also makes him popular out here. He could have gotten similar folks from his Eastern connections.

I hear nothing at all about Santorum. I doubt Gingrich will do as well out here as Romney. Paul had some active followers out here, and there is a strong Libertarian strain that runs throughout the Intermountain West, so I think he'll do pretty well out here.

Obama did very well here in 2008, probably due to his stunning early appearance in Boise. 24,000 residents filled Broncho stadium on very short notice, and that was totally unexpected. He didn't win Idaho, Wyoming or Utah, but he pulled in way more votes than was expected. It's hard to say how he's doing now... there are still many supporters, and many folks who won't support him a second time, especially if Mitt is the nominee.

As it is with the rest of the country, the economy will be a big influence. There are many pockets in the West where folks are broke and needing jobs badly.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Obama is just as bad on the 2nd Amendment, maybe even worse!
That was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections