Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Around here I've seen dogs in the back of the pickup, with no tail gate and no tie-down. I've seen little toy trucks with a giant great dane trying to maintain balance while going down the road. Or the dog laying on top of the toolbox, that's scary!
I think a lot of people fail to realize how hot the metal of the pickup bed gets. It can burn their feet in the summer! At least have a pad in the bed, if your dog must ride back there. I have a camper shell, but they like to ride in front with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Or the dog laying on top of the toolbox, that's scary!
Yes! I see this all the time! The dog (or dogs) riding on the tool box! I hate that!
Quote:
At least have a pad in the bed, if your dog must ride back there.
A rubber stall mat makes for a softer ride and that is what I had in the back of a previous truck. I would imagine, though, that one of those would absorb the heat of the sun if it's in an open bed. Again, mine was covered by a canopy and I don't think that was much of an issue.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:49 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I agree. I don't like to see dogs loose in the bed of pickups, moving around, going from side to side, putting their feet up on the sides. Very dangerous for the dogs, IMO, and even a potential for problems if the truck is parked at a store or somewhere and someone walks by and gets nipped.

In the event of an accident - or even a quick stop or turn - the dog is very vulnerable to being knocked out.

Years ago, I installed a set-up in the back of the truck I had at the time - an eye hook screwed into the center front part of the bed behind the cab and a short lead attached to it. The dog was limited to just where it go in the back of the truck and couldn't get close enough to the sides to go over. At the time, I thought that was a safe way to go but now, in my older, more cautious years, I don't think I would do even that. Now, the only times my dogs ride in the bed of my truck is if the canopy is on it.

I can't wait to get my "I Ride Inside" bumper stickers.
I don't see dogs in the back of pick ups anymore. Now I see most people put their dogs loose in the back seat. Some have them in crates in the back but not many. We learn as we go and years ago people just didn't know any better. I'm sure there are things I have done in the past not knowing it wasn't right for my loved pet. Like what I did to my sweet little pussycats. They are fine but had I known better I probably wouldn't have had it done to them. I won't regret it now but that's because they are unharmed as far as damaged done to them but it could have gone horribly wrong.

I make the exception with Romney only because it was so very obvious the dog was tortured/terrorized to the point of becoming sick. If he were smart he would have put the junk he claimed to have in the car tied to the roof not the dog. Geez the crate could have been used to store his junk in. Since he can't improves to protect the family dog then I'll be damned if I'm going to trust him to know how to improvise when problems arise when it comes to saving human military lives or prevent unnecessary wars.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post

I make the exception with Romney only because it was so very obvious the dog was tortured/terrorized to the point of becoming sick. If he were smart he would have put the junk he claimed to have in the car tied to the roof not the dog. Geez the crate could have been used to store his junk in. Since he can't improves to protect the family dog then I'll be damned if I'm going to trust him to know how to improvise when problems arise when it comes to saving human military lives or prevent unnecessary wars.
And when he says the dog was in a crate, what does he mean by that? Back in 1983, I don't remember there being any of those pet crates that we're all so familiar with now; so was it some kind of homemade contraption or what? Although I have a hard time picturing Mittens with a hammer and nails in his hand, creating this masterpiece of modern dog transport.

The lack of remorse on his part about what he did to that poor dog is a huge thing in my book. Up until recently, he laughed about it and treated it like some kind of humorous Romney family incident. HA HA I'm sure now, since there has been so much outrage over that, if he were to talk about it, he would drip with remorse and sadness.

This incident is just more evidence of his insensitivity to others' suffering.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
bring it.

i am starting a horses against obama super PAC.

Obama Legalizes Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption - Technorati Lifestyle

Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
bring it.

Well, goody for you.

For the record, I am against horses being killed for human consumption but I know some horse lovers see it as a humane alternative to horses being starved or mistreated or neglected because owners can no longer take care of them or in the case of injured or old horses with no quality of life left.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
bring it.

We need a third party to run. What's wrong with eating stupid cows and some chickens but horses? wth? It's just a matter of time until I become a vegetarian. Please bear in mind this still is nothing like what Romney did. He tortured his pet and a pet is very personal. It take some kind of psyco to do that let alone to your own freaking pet.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, goody for you.

For the record, I am against horses being killed for human consumption but I know some horse lovers see it as a humane alternative to horses being starved or mistreated or neglected because owners can no longer take care of them or in the case of injured or old horses with no quality of life left.
for the record, my "bring it" post was not directed at you personally but at the OP point of a dogs against romney super PAC.

if horses are mistreated the correct thing to do is step up to the plate and take care of them, not use it as an excuse to eat them.

i pray that this administration doesn't start focusing on old people with "no quality of life left" next.

how about a farm animals against obama super PAC for animals to be used in testing? (ALF):

Obama has approved construction of a biological weapons facility which will create and test out new genetically engineered weapons of mass destruction ... you know ... just in case there comes a need to use them ... How will politicians present this new monstrosity to the American people?

The proposed 2012 multi-zillion dollar Obama budget includes $150 million for a new Homeland Security Biological Animal Research laboratory to be constructed at the Kansas State University campus in Manhattan, Kansas. The new animal testing research lab will expose farm animals to sophisticated means of torture. The cost for this brave new world lab to be completed in 2017 will be over $650 million. That will become a future president's problem. Where will the additional half-billion come from? You can probably guess... (end)

_note, multi-zillion is obviously the writer's personal disgust with the budget not an actual figure.

this is what happens when lack of money and lack of ethics merge into one.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,963 times
Yeah, add this to the list of reasons I think Romney doesn't have a conscience. We have a rescue golden retriever (our 2nd) and I can't imagine doing what he did. For God's sake, the man has plenty of money; he could've rented a minivan or SUV for the trip. Or he could've easily paid to board the dog (like we do when we go on vacation). Dogs want to be with their people. It almost makes me cry thinking about how terrified Seamus must have been on that roof.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
And today we learn that Romney was a sadistic child as well. No surprises here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections