Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I couldn't care less that you don't support Ron Paul. I take issue with the fact that you degrade those that fail to support the party line and reject abysmal candidates like Romney due to the fact that they are substantially no different from Obama.

FYI, the blind support of party over principle is what's driving more and more people away from mainstream parties on a daily basis. Your inability or refusal to recognize that plants you firmly in the group that has become part of the problem rather than those that are seeking a solution.
I have little doubt a mainstream candidate will win the upcoming election. Enjoy the hollow victory while you can. That mainstream candidate will drive the nation further down the road to ruin. At some point in the near future the D or R flavor of the day will preside over the failure of the nation. Whether that failure is brought about by financial collapse or withdrawal of consent to be governed remains to be seen.

Either way, corrupt politicians and the partisan shills that supported them will be the cause of the failure.
Couple of things....this notion that those who dont support Paul just "blindly" follow or support the party, status quo, and all the other cliche's you you guys like to use , is just nonsense. There are those of us who have huge problems with all the candidates, the difference is, for us that includes Paul. Secondly, many of us feel the same way you describe about the state of the nation............we just dont think Paul is the answer, or possibly part of the solution. You guys might just need to get over yourselves just a little bit , and understand for many of us this aint our first rodeo and Paul is not the answer to all the questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
A brokered convention doesn't mean everyone throws their hands up and they just pick whoever; no outside candidates who aren't already running and have delegates at the convention can be picked. It means the first round of votes didn't generate a consensus candidate so subsequent rounds must be taken, from the available list of candidates. Unbound delegates can vote for whoever bribes them and pledged delegates can be released to vote for whoever bribes them.

Romney would win a brokered convention because he'd have the resources to goad enough delegates to give him the majority in extra rounds of voting.

Actually, that is not technically accurate. If no one has 51% on the first vote and the convention is 'brokered', someone could be drafted that was not already in the race. However, that would more than likely cause the biggest party split in history...especially if one candidate was fairly close. However, after the first vote, some of the delegates can be released and therefore can change their votes. If there is still not a winner, on the third vote they are all released.

There are huge gambles with entering someone at the convention that has not been in the race. First of all, they have not been vetted. They haven't been through any of the debates, no media scrutiny, none of the Hell the normal candidate goes through. Imagine if Rick Perry had not been in the race and he was drafted at the convention and then went head to head with Obama in a couple of debates...it would be disasterous. Of course, there are candidates like Sarah Palin who were vetted in 08 they could risk it on.

More than likely, what I think will happen if this 'brokered convention' gets close to happening or what I think some have plans of is this: If Mitt Romney loses Arizona and Michigan, somebody will enter the race right after that. I think there are about 11 states you can still get on the ballot in. Their objective will be to unite the right wing, evangelical, conservative vote enough to win enough states/delegates to block Mitt Romney from getting enough votes on the first round of the convention...brokered convention. That person might be Sarah Palin or it seems that is who they have in mind. They will try to enter her late enough that she doesn't debate or get chewed up too much by the media, but she is in early enough to secure enough delegates to do damage.

What might not be taken into account, is that Mitt Romney and his team, already knew this might happen and they could have a backup plan in place that will block them from achieving their goal. If it plays out, it will be interesting.

If Mitt wins Arizona and Michigan, it probably won't happen at all.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:02 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,783 times
You're technically correct only in the absolutely narrowest sense. While the formal rules on outside candidates haven't been completely amended, since the debacle in 68 the primary process itself has been reorganized to make not only a brokered convention essentially an impossibility, but the probability of a surprise candidate is effectively zero. If Romney hasn't gotten his 1144 delegates by the end of the primaries, the first thing on the RNC convention agenda is adopting a rule to preclude any spoiler candidate coming in.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I am on record as saying there is no way it is going to happen.....but the noise is going to keep coming and if Romney loses Michigan it is going to get louder. Some of the top names bieng thrown out there are ridiculous. Mitch Daniels , Chris Christie, Jeb Bush.......NO way. If Romney cant get the Conservative vote , Daniels and Christie sure wont, Bush would be the most likely of those three, but I think he is smart enough to know he needs to wait. Marco Rubio, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan all would be more likely scenarios. Then of course there is Sarah Palin, but it aint gonna happen.Romney's struggles fuel talk of brokered convention | Reuters
Who comes out? I am pretty sure it's somebody named Chaos.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I think Romney would be chosen at a brokered convention.

Romney does not have the support.
Obama Lite, is still 180º from the direction this nation must turn.
The same direction at a different speed and different beneficiaries, is still the wrong direction.

Ron Paul has the organization, to take the convention by storm, this time around. Disciplined, like a well trained army.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Couple of things....this notion that those who dont support Paul just "blindly" follow or support the party, status quo, and all the other cliche's you you guys like to use , is just nonsense. There are those of us who have huge problems with all the candidates, the difference is, for us that includes Paul. Secondly, many of us feel the same way you describe about the state of the nation............we just dont think Paul is the answer, or possibly part of the solution. You guys might just need to get over yourselves just a little bit , and understand for many of us this aint our first rodeo and Paul is not the answer to all the questions.

So, no one has a majority of support. We agree there.
Romney has the most money, the best looks and full fascist status quo establishment support and tactics.... Follow the money.
Santorum, has the Neocon Christians in an uproar, ready to go to war with Iran.
Gingrich, talks a good South is rising, Neocon game.
Paul, has the organization, commitment, truth and the US Constitution, just no lobbyist lining his pocket and giving him a voice.

Common sense comes into play here to decipher the code.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,986 times
Brokered Convention.....who comes out

Old 02-18-2012, 07:58 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
If there's a brokered convention, it's over. The GOP will nominate a throwaway.

Sarah Palin fits the bill perfectly. So does Rick Santorum.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, no one has a majority of support. We agree there.
Romney has the most money, the best looks and full fascist status quo establishment support and tactics.... Follow the money.
Santorum, has the Neocon Christians in an uproar, ready to go to war with Iran.
Gingrich, talks a good South is rising, Neocon game.
Paul, has the organization, commitment, truth and the US Constitution, just no lobbyist lining his pocket and giving him a voice.

Common sense comes into play here to decipher the code.
Common sense , tells us that the President must be able to lead he must be able to build coalitions, he must command respect, and be respected.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
I am on record as saying there is no way it is going to happen.....but the noise is going to keep coming and if Romney loses Michigan it is going to get louder. Some of the top names bieng thrown out there are ridiculous. Mitch Daniels , Chris Christie, Jeb Bush.......NO way. If Romney cant get the Conservative vote , Daniels and Christie sure wont, Bush would be the most likely of those three, but I think he is smart enough to know he needs to wait. Marco Rubio, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan all would be more likely scenarios. Then of course there is Sarah Palin, but it aint gonna happen.Romney's struggles fuel talk of brokered convention | Reuters
I don't know if anyone comes out ahead, but I do think a brokered convention is a possibility. For whatever reason Daniels and Christie seem to have more appeal than Romney. You are right about Bush, he needs to hold off til 2016 or 20, same with Rubio. I am not sure Jindal will ever quite be there, but Paul Ryan is a huge possibility.

I do think there is a 2 to 1 chance Romney will get the nod, maybe not on the first ballot,but will come out the winner.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections