Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For some Washington reporters and media execs, cheering their team from the sidelines just isn’t good enough: Tugging on a red, white and blue Team Obama jersey is the answer. That’s the case for a whopping 19 journalists and media executives, including five from the Washington Post and three each from ABC and CNN, who’ve gone into the administration or center-left groups supporting the president.

Those inside the administration hit 14 this month when the Post’s Stephen Barr joined the Labor Department. That’s a record, say some revolving door watchers, and could even be much higher: The Post reports that “dozens” of former journalists have joined the administration, although Washington Secrets couldn’t verify that tally.

Link: Record 19 reporters, media execs join Team Obama | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

The Fourth Estate is dead. Thank God for talk radio, the internet, and FOX news.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
The fourth estate has been dead, rather owned for a long time. Luckily the internet has offered some light.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
[/font][/color][/b]

Link: Record 19 reporters, media execs join Team Obama | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

The Fourth Estate is dead. Thank God for talk radio, the internet, and FOX news.

That they join a campaign doesn't make the businesses they run biased.

To show how much you hate biased news outlets, you're going to praise right wing blogs and Fox News? That's kind of the opposite of smart.

Quote:
The fourth estate has been dead, rather owned for a long time. Luckily the internet has offered some light.
Yes, you read it on the internet, so you know it's true.

The mainstream media outlets present both sides of the story. I guess if you can't justify your own opinions then seeing someone else's is hard to do. Normal folks like to think for ourselves and like to be presented with all points of view when we watch the news. That means no Fox Opinion and MSNBC.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
That they join a campaign doesn't make the businesses they run biased.

To show how much you hate biased news outlets, you're going to praise right wing blogs and Fox News? That's kind of the opposite of smart.

Yes, you read it on the internet, so you know it's true.

The mainstream media outlets present both sides of the story. I guess if you can't justify your own opinions then seeing someone else's is hard to do. Normal folks like to think for ourselves and like to be presented with all points of view when we watch the news. That means no Fox Opinion and MSNBC.
I disagree w/ your characterization of the MSM, in general. However, I do agree people want to think for themselves.

Have no idea what you are referencing w/ the internet comment. Nobody said such a thing. Your statement seems foolish.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I disagree w/ your characterization of the MSM, in general.
Why? Based on what data? What part of what I said do you disagree with? I'm not talking your emotions tell you that the mainstream media is bad. Feel free to explain how you disagree. That's the thinking for yourself part.

In terms of my comment, there's tons of stupid information on the internet. People write things that aren't true, they aren't journalists, they don't have to publish retractions and many of them aren't that smart. Go ask your doctor what they think of information on the internet.

People somehow always assume that since they read it on the internet, it must be true. Trust me, they've been doing that since long before you knew what the internet was.

My statement is perfectly valid. What is foolish is people who read right/left wing blogs written largely by uneducated morons with an agenda and who don't ever have to debate with anyone about their ideas.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Why? Based on what data? What part of what I said do you disagree with? I'm not talking your emotions tell you that the mainstream media is bad. Feel free to explain how you disagree. That's the thinking for yourself part.

In terms of my comment, there's tons of stupid information on the internet. People write things that aren't true, they aren't journalists, they don't have to publish retractions and many of them aren't that smart. Go ask your doctor what they think of information on the internet.

People somehow always assume that since they read it on the internet, it must be true. Trust me, they've been doing that since long before you knew what the internet was.

My statement is perfectly valid. What is foolish is people who read right/left wing blogs written largely by uneducated morons with an agenda and who don't ever have to debate with anyone about their ideas.
You're woefully ignorant and uneducated if you think the MSM is anything other than 100% in the tank for Obama and the DNC. The truth hurts.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
You're woefully ignorant and uneducated if you think the MSM is anything other than 100% in the tank for Obama and the DNC. The truth hurts.
So, is Fox news a part of the MSM or are you admitting that they are an outlier?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Ouch, as it were.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Well I don't think they cover all sides. I think they have a bias. Not necessarily to a D or R. I think their bias comes down from the top. I base it on what I don't see addressed and what is ignored. I base it on who owns them and where their money comes from. There is much everywhere that isn't necessarily true.

The internet has opened up more options. I don't see this as bad at all.

Your statement in bold to me is vague, but it also seems rather baseless. A bit like saying smoking doesn't kill you because people have been doing it for so long.

You seem on an anti-internet rant for some reason. You don't make sense to me and seem irrational as well as fond of name calling.

Last edited by CDusr; 02-18-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 12:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
So, the highest rated cable news channel, owned by the worlds second largest media conglomerate, is not part of the main stream media? Really, you're going to go with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections