Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM

38 posts, read 48,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree that our tax system in unfair, since I am single and don't have a lot of deductions. However, I hope you realize that taxes have never been lower and have not gone up under Obama. Here is a chart showing that taxes have declined significantly in the past few decades.

Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Even Politifact's Truth-O-Meter, which criticized President Obama for saying he didn't raise taxes, and then listed the tobacco tax, indoor tanning tax, and mentioned his proposed taxes on couples earning over $250,000 (adjusted net income) ended its analysis with this

Before we rule on this item, though, we should note that Obama has not raised income taxes. Thanks to a compromise he brokered with Republicans at the end of 2010, income tax rates are staying the same for people of all incomes. Obama had favored raising taxes on high earners, but he gave up on that as part of the tax deal. In exchange, he gained a a 2 percent reduction in payroll taxes for all workers. When you combine that with small tax cuts that were part of the economic stimulus, most taxpayers have seen reduced rates under Obama's administration.

I just want to add that the United States has one of the lowest tax rates - not that I enjoy paying tax!

12 Countries With The Highest & Lowest Tax Rates | Business Pundit
I would actually go for a flat tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,481 times
You *******s make me laugh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
"From NOEXCUSEFORIGNORANCE

Really? I haven't seen you write anything on this forum that was above a 5th grade writing level. I'm not sure that you should be calling that guy a retard. Perhaps if you disagree with what he's saying, and I know this is probably a shock to you, then why not actually debate him on it. Perhaps you didn't pay enough attention in school to anything other than smilie faces, but there are plenty of websites out there that can teach you some logic and how to think for yourself."

Clearly you have not read many of my posts. No matter....I have challenged people like you (in fact even YOU) to debate what obama has done...to list his accomplishments that make people like you rabidly support him. I rarely get an answer, and when I do, it is never one based in anything other than left wing talking points and media quotes.

So listen hotshot...why don't YOU go to some websites and learn a little something. There aren't any sites that teach common sense....so there is no help for you there...but maybe you can learn that the president that you support has done nothing but increase the debt by 7 trillion since he has been in office. And every year he asks for an increase in the debt ceiling. Just how long do you think that sort of management can go on until this house of cards collapses??

Bring it on if you have points to debate. I welcome the challenge.
Well, let's see, the post that I called you out on said that, "you *******s make me laugh!!". You didn't give any basis for saying that personal insult to others. You didn't back up what yous aid, so I stand by everything I said above. I appreciate you quoting it since it was previously removed from the htread.

Actually I've read quite a number of them over the last few days. You throw out insults or whine like an emotional partisan, but you really provide nothing of substance. Any data that you do use, you don't provide any context. You've made up your opinion based on emotion and you try to use data to justify it.

I don't need to go to websites. There are these things called books and newspapers that people read. I skip the partisan blogs written by people who still live in their parent's basement.

In terms of common sense, it's odd that you mention the deficits that have been run up without mentioning the Great Recession. See what I mean about context? You also assume that the President has a ton of power to control spending. He doesn't. There are plenty of mandatory programs that aren't discretionary. I use that example as it was passed by Republicans and no doubt you think that they don't pass any laws that cost anything.

The President took office during the Great Recession. What he has done is largely exactly what the Republicans were doing or were planning to do. Yet, you blame this all on the guy who inherited the mess. That's common sense? Really? When you put your emotions away and think, do you really blame Obama for the Great Recession? You know the one that started before he took office? I mean put away the anger and think about it.

I can further show how you use data out of context and just get angry and make false claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
obama had the first 2 years of his term with a majority in the house and senate. he pretty much had carte blance to do what he wanted....and he dug the country into even more debt.

Failed bank bailouts....rising unemployment....backing green companies with loans just because they were 'GREEN' and then watching them go belly up with 535 MILLION taxpayer dollars....and ramming obamacare through. THOSE are the hallmarks of his first term.
Here I think you mean carte blanche, not carte blance. Where's your data about the failed bank bailouts? You blame this on Obama, but it was passed by Bush. Where's the common sense in that? Bush passed it, but it's Obama's fault? Also, where's the data showing it failed? The overall cost was only $19B you know that right? The Republican program, which thankfully was passed, stabilized the banking system.

Rising unemployment? The guy inherited a massive recession, the likes we haven't seen for 100 years. Of course there was rising unemployment. Investments in green companies? Bush did much teh same and McCain was proposing the same thing.

He did ram healthcare reform through though he didn't write it so calling it Obamacare is silly. The Republicans chose to not participate. You can hold him to point on the content of that if you even really know what the content is.

You forgot many other hallmarks of his first term. The ability for the gays in the military to publicly note what everyone around them already knew. Osama bin Laden. The end of the war in Iraq. The Predator program against AQ. Trade missions. Cars for clunkers.

Should you want to discuss common sense and throw out someone's hallmarks then include their actual hallmarks. It would be like mentioning Bush's achievements and not discussing his humanitarian work in Africa.

Should you want common sense on here then show some. Most of what you do is get mad and blame Obama for things that he had nothing to do with.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbells View Post
I would actually go for a flat tax.
Please correct the typo in my last post (too late to edit) where I said "in unfair" and meant "is unfair" of course.

A flat tax of what? It doesn't work. Just changing to a flat tax doesn't address the real problems we have with our income tax system, i.e., all the loopholes. The only thing Flat and Fair have in common is that they both have 4 letters. The same people who support a Flat Tax or a plan like Cain's 9-9-9 are those who also claim lowering taxes on the rich will create jobs. That sure worked in the past 10 years, huh? We definitely need to change the tax code, but a flat tax only benefits the rich and would create even a wider class gap than we already have in this country.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
After Obama saved us from the Bush Depression of 2007-2009, I don't know how anyone can even entertain voting for anyone else in November.
SAVED US? SERIOUSLY?
The following are 18 statistics that prove that the economy has not improved since Barack Obama became the president of the United States….
#1 Today there are 88 million working age Americans that are not employed and that are not looking for employment. That is an all-time record high.
#2 When Barack Obama was elected, the percentage of unemployed Americans that had been out of work for more than 52 weeks was less than 15%. Today, it is above 30%.
#3 There are 1.2 million fewer jobs in America today than there were when Barack Obama was inaugurated.
#4 When Barack Obama first took office, the number of “long-term unemployed workers” in the United States was approximately 2.6 million. Today, that numberis sitting at 5.6 million.
#5 The average duration of unemployment in the United States is hovering close to an all-time record high.
#6 During the Obama administration, worker health insurance costs have risenby 23 percent.
#7 Since Barack Obama has been president, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United States has increased by 90 percent.
#8 Since Barack Obama has been president, home values in the United States have declined by another 13 percent.
#9 Under Barack Obama, new home sales in the U.S. set a brand new all-time record low in 2009, they set a brand new all-time record low again in 2010, and they set a brand new all-time record low once again during 2011.
#10 Since Barack Obama took office, the number of Americans living in poverty has risen by more than 6 million.
#11 Since Barack Obama entered the White House, the number of Americans on food stamps has increased from 32 million to 46 million.
#12 The amount of money that the federal government gives directly to Americans has increased by 32 percent since Barack Obama entered the White House.
#13 According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the percentage of Americans living in “extreme poverty” is now sitting at an all-time high.
#14 When Barack Obama first took office, an ounce of gold was going for about $850. Today an ounce of gold costs more than $1700 an ounce.
#15 Since Barack Obama became president, the size of the U.S. national debt has increased by 44 percent.
#16 During Barack Obama’s first two years in office, the U.S. government added more to the U.S. national debt than the first 100 U.S. Congresses combined.
#17 During the Obama administration, the U.S. government has accumulated more debt than it did from the time that George Washington took office to the time that Bill Clinton took office.
#18 The U.S. national debt has been increasing by an average of more than 4 billion dollars per day since the beginning of the Obama administration.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM

5 posts, read 3,754 times
health care reform under this person is a joke, if you get sick and you do not have money in the bank, you may as well go pick out your plot of ground that you will rest in because under the new health care plan, if you are old and really can not be productive than you will not get good health care. our gas prices are going through the roof, cost of living is way up, we own GM and Chrysler and we still can not afford to buy a car. why must we pay as much for a car as we do for a house? this fool that thinks he is our best president ever is a joke and a fool and a should not even be able to call himself a man. go wrap your head in your towel you fool

Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,481 times
Modeerf,

You do know the guy inherited the Great Recession right? You're now blaming him for things that happened before he was President. That makes just a ton of sense.

You're basically blaming him for everything that happened due to what he inherited. That is, other the price of gas which, I'm not sure if you're a communist or something, the leader of the country doesn't get to set.

Do you have anything to say that is actually relevant? Do you ever take the same amount of time to thank those who were in power before the Great Recession? Somehow, given that you're chirping out what looks to be a chain letter here, I'm guessing not.

Perhaps you can join Tall_Rep in blaming Obama for bills that were actually signed by Bush.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post

Perhaps you can join Tall_Rep in blaming Obama for bills that were actually signed by Bush.
This is a true story. In 2009 I was talking to a neighbor who lost his job and was complaining about the economy. 2 things he was ranting about was the housing slump (he was in construction) and taxes. He started to curse Obama, so I asked "How long have you been out of work?" He lost his job in 2008!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This is a true story. In 2009 I was talking to a neighbor who lost his job and was complaining about the economy. 2 things he was ranting about was the housing slump (he was in construction) and taxes. He started to curse Obama, so I asked "How long have you been out of work?" He lost his job in 2008!
The funny thing is that you think your neighbor is the clueless one.

Here's a clue, Nan. Barack killed off thousands of potential jobs because of his stupid healthcare law and his other horrible mishandling of the economy. Your neighbor has a much better understanding of the situation because he understands that even though he lost his job in 2008, Obama is responsible for the pitiful state of the economy ever since.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
After Obama saved us from the Bush Depression of 2007-2009, I don't know how anyone can even entertain voting for anyone else in November.
That is likely because of a lack of education in economics, having very little in the area of discernment, and thus an inability to recognize fraud.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
SAVED US? SERIOUSLY?
The following are 18 statistics that prove that the economy has not improved since Barack Obama became the president of the United States….
#1 Today there are 88 million working age Americans that are not employed and that are not looking for employment. That is an all-time record high.
#2 When Barack Obama was elected, the percentage of unemployed Americans that had been out of work for more than 52 weeks was less than 15%. Today, it is above 30%.
#3 There are 1.2 million fewer jobs in America today than there were when Barack Obama was inaugurated.
#4 When Barack Obama first took office, the number of “long-term unemployed workers” in the United States was approximately 2.6 million. Today, that numberis sitting at 5.6 million.
#5 The average duration of unemployment in the United States is hovering close to an all-time record high.
#6 During the Obama administration, worker health insurance costs have risenby 23 percent.
#7 Since Barack Obama has been president, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United States has increased by 90 percent.
#8 Since Barack Obama has been president, home values in the United States have declined by another 13 percent.
#9 Under Barack Obama, new home sales in the U.S. set a brand new all-time record low in 2009, they set a brand new all-time record low again in 2010, and they set a brand new all-time record low once again during 2011.
#10 Since Barack Obama took office, the number of Americans living in poverty has risen by more than 6 million.
#11 Since Barack Obama entered the White House, the number of Americans on food stamps has increased from 32 million to 46 million.
#12 The amount of money that the federal government gives directly to Americans has increased by 32 percent since Barack Obama entered the White House.
#13 According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the percentage of Americans living in “extreme poverty” is now sitting at an all-time high.
#14 When Barack Obama first took office, an ounce of gold was going for about $850. Today an ounce of gold costs more than $1700 an ounce.
#15 Since Barack Obama became president, the size of the U.S. national debt has increased by 44 percent.
#16 During Barack Obama’s first two years in office, the U.S. government added more to the U.S. national debt than the first 100 U.S. Congresses combined.
#17 During the Obama administration, the U.S. government has accumulated more debt than it did from the time that George Washington took office to the time that Bill Clinton took office.
#18 The U.S. national debt has been increasing by an average of more than 4 billion dollars per day since the beginning of the Obama administration.
And this is why Obama will be a one term President. He can't run away from his record of failure, and nobody is buying his pathetic blame Bush strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections