Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM

26,506 posts, read 15,084,039 times

Advertisements

The Exit Poll asked "Religious Beliefs of Candidates Matter..."

We'll call yes: Great Deal/Somewhat
We'll call no: Not Much/Not At All

Romney versus the winner in states he lost:

Tennessee:
Yes Santorum 45-23 (Romney tied for 2nd)
No Romney 42-23 (Romney 1st)

South Carolina
Yes Gingrich 46-20 (Romney 3rd)
No Romney 39-32 (Romney 1st)

Oklahoma
Yes Santorum 40-25 (Romney 3rd)
No Romney 37-19 (Romney 1st)

Look at Ohio....Santorum wins the Yes votes and Romney wins the No voters.

Isn't odd that whenever they ask voters if the religious views of candidates are important...that Romney has won the voters who respond "no" every single time...and never wins the voters who say "yes"?

What has Romney done? He isn't as in your face about religion as Santorum or born again Newt in my opinion. We know Romney is a Christian through his large donations to churches and his missionary work. Being a Mormon is the only thing that I can think of.

The Republican base unfortunately has a large chunk of people who claim Obama is a Muslim.....(and then ironically accuse him of being a radical Reverend Wright militant Christian. Is it just these same knuckleheads now turning their focus on Romney for being a different type of Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
Lightbulb hmm...

Santorum winning the yes votes in rural areas of OHIO and Gingrich in other areas of the Nation pose a serious challenge to Romney. He'll need the Super delegates to win, but hey Romney will be the nominee. His campaign today said it would take "an act of God" to change that outcome.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
No. I didn't. I've never written that phrase.

Since you said literally, prove it.
You asked
Quote:
How many conservatives do you know?
I'm sorry! That is totally a different question. (Not sarcasm btw, I really do apologize for misreading your question then pretending you asked me something else. I was caught up in the debate!)

Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Santorum winning the yes votes in rural areas of OHIO and Gingrich in other areas of the Nation pose a serious challenge to Romney. He'll need the Super delegates to win, but hey Romney will be the nominee. His campaign today said it would take "an act of God" to change that outcome.
Why is it a challenge?

Most of those people will vote no matter what and they won't likely switch to Obama. We are talking about some of the people who claim Obama is a Mulsim-Militant-Radical-Christian (I think that is nonsense and I believe Obama is a good man, I just don't agree with him on some political issues).

Mitt has plenty of time to woo them back against a person they naturally fear in November.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
The winning threshold is 50% of the delegates. When you're dividing delegates four ways, it's damned near impossible to get to 50%.

If Romney holds a commanding lead on June 6th then -- with only gimme winner-take-all state Utah left to vote -- Romney would be on his way to the convention as the clear GOP voter's choice. Having the super-delegates take action at that point is the whole reason super-delegates exist to begin with. Brokered conventions are a disaster. They'll hand Mitt the victory and the party will get behind the nominee.

And don't count out the possibility that Gingrich and Santorum start trading delegates for cabinet positions. Neither of them is a good VP choice at this point, but either of them could be Secretary of Whatever. Santorum alone might be able to put Mitt over the finish line.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Why is it a challenge?

Most of those people will vote no matter what and they won't likely switch to Obama. We are talking about some of the people who claim Obama is a Mulsim-Militant-Radical-Christian (I think that is nonsense and I believe Obama is a good man, I just don't agree with him on some political issues).

Mitt has plenty of time to woo them back against a person they naturally fear in November.
Prove it.

Prove to us "Most of those people will vote no matter what".

We're also talking about a group of folks who've made it clear they are incredibly sensitive and susceptible to religious gamesmanship.

Naturally fear. I don't understand. Explain this.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The winning threshold is 50% of the delegates. When you're dividing delegates four ways, it's damned near impossible to get to 50%.

If Romney holds a commanding lead on June 6th then -- with only gimme winner-take-all state Utah left to vote -- Romney would be on his way to the convention as the clear GOP voter's choice. Having the super-delegates take action at that point is the whole reason super-delegates exist to begin with. Brokered conventions are a disaster. They'll hand Mitt the victory and the party will get behind the nominee.

And don't count out the possibility that Gingrich and Santorum start trading delegates for cabinet positions. Neither of them is a good VP choice at this point, but either of them could be Secretary of Whatever. Santorum alone might be able to put Mitt over the finish line.

This is a the most likely scenario, though I doubt any Cabinet talks. I don't think Romney sees them as his people. If and when the superdelegates give Romney the victory, and they'll have to hold their noses to do it, there will be massive reflection on his inability to close the deal without them. I suspect they'll begin throwing him support before the convention to avoid the appearance of cataclysmic failure within their ranks.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
This is a the most likely scenario, though I doubt any Cabinet talks. I don't think Romney sees them as his people. If and when the superdelegates give Romney the victory, and they'll have to hold their noses to do it, there will be massive reflection on his inability to close the deal without them. I suspect they'll begin throwing him support before the convention to avoid the appearance of cataclysmic failure within their ranks.
It's exactly the same endgame as Hillary vs Barack in 2008, and it's absolutely clear that the GOP did this on purpose. By having the biggest states voting so late in the game, this primary season is lasting this long because they designed it that way. Why would anyone drop out now when there is a massive 455 delegate windfall on May 29th + June 5th? One of those is the biggest prize of all: California.

California is 172 delegates on June 5th. Texas is 155 delegates on May 29th. New York is 95 delegates on April 24th. Those are the three biggest states.

In 2008 both California and New York voted on February 5th. Texas voted on March 4th in 2008. This race would be over already if the GOP hadn't intentionally scheduled it to drag on and on and on.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,824 times
Well originally Texas was supposed to on Super Tuesday but the state had redistricting issues that needed to be settled by a federal court.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Prove it.

Prove to us "Most of those people will vote no matter what".

We're also talking about a group of folks who've made it clear they are incredibly sensitive and susceptible to religious gamesmanship.

Naturally fear. I don't understand. Explain this.
I can't prove a prediction. I think you are new to the world of politics if you think Romney is getting permanently damaged though. A week can be a long time in a political life. The US is full of "nasty" woe are us primary campaigns...and then they do fine in the General Election. Ari Fleischer read a lot of quotes from prominent democrats 4 years ago talking about how the Obama - Clinton primary was so nasty that the Democrats couldn't win in November.

P.S. If Romney has an impact with spending more and dirty ads....why wouldn't Obama who broke the spending record (2.5 times what McCain spent) and broke the record on the number of dirty ads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections