Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The difference is that on the Democratic side, religion just isn't a big issue. Harry Reid is the Senate majority leader and the Dems could care less that he's a Mormon. I think the Democrats deserve a lot of credit for the fact that the majority of them disregard such bigotries.
This. ^^ I'm sorry, but it's hard to feel sorry for the moderates in the GOP who are complaining that the Evangelicals won't get behind Romney. The GOP fostered this bigotry--they used it to get votes and it worked for them for many election cycles. They can't cry about how bigoted their base is now that it's not working for them any longer.

Conservative Republicans have insisted on a religious litmus test for all GOP candidates. Now they have to live with that, and Romney, unfortunately for him, will suffer for it.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 03-07-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
I saw this comment from michiganmoon in the official primary thread, and thought it merited it's own discussion:

Now, some may think I'm trying to come up with excuses for Romney. But even I thought his religion wasn't that much of a problem anymore. I figured that many Southern and evangelical voters genuinely (and wrongly) believed he wasn't conservative enough. But this evidence, which can be seen in any exit polls, makes it sound as if their only problem with him is his faith.

Now, I think everybody would have thought this question was a no-brainer a few years ago, but we don't seem to hear about Romney's religion as much anymore and I thought we'd mostly moved past it. I figured many Romney-opponents in the GOP would happily vote for other staunchly conservative Mormons in spite of personal discomforts with the faith (Chaffetz, Glenn Beck, Mike Lee, etc) and that their opposition to Romney was based purely on his perceived lack of conservatism. I now truly think it is his faith that is keeping him from clinching the nomination. Not an overwhelming opposition, but enough in some Southern states that it keeps him from being competitive. It also may be keeping his margins down in some Midwestern states. Thoughts?
Where did the exit poll say "religion of their candidate?" Have a link?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times
Quote:
I saw this comment from michiganmoon in the official primary thread, and thought it merited it's own discussion:

Now, some may think I'm trying to come up with excuses for Romney. But even I thought his religion wasn't that much of a problem anymore. I figured that many Southern and evangelical voters genuinely (and wrongly) believed he wasn't conservative enough. But this evidence, which can be seen in any exit polls, makes it sound as if their only problem with him is his faith.

Now, I think everybody would have thought this question was a no-brainer a few years ago, but we don't seem to hear about Romney's religion as much anymore and I thought we'd mostly moved past it. I figured many Romney-opponents in the GOP would happily vote for other staunchly conservative Mormons in spite of personal discomforts with the faith (Chaffetz, Glenn Beck, Mike Lee, etc) and that their opposition to Romney was based purely on his perceived lack of conservatism. I now truly think it is his faith that is keeping him from clinching the nomination. Not an overwhelming opposition, but enough in some Southern states that it keeps him from being competitive. It also may be keeping his margins down in some Midwestern states. Thoughts?
I'd say it's hurting him with some Christians.

In Mormonism Jesus is believed to be the brother of Lucifer.....we all know who Lucifer is.... Satan....The Devil....etc

That's a big hurdle for a lot of belivers.

That's why they are considered a cult by mainstream Christianity.

The Jesus of the Mormon Church : Apologetics research resources

Many don't know this fact and they don't talk about it much ....if at all.

http://www.equip.org/bible_answers/d...other-of-satan-

Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This. ^^ I'm sorry, but it's hard to feel sorry for the moderates in the GOP who are complaining about that the Evangelicals won't get behind Romney. The GOP fostered this bigotry--they used it to get votes and it worked for them for many election cycles. They can't cry about how bigoted their base is now that it's not working for them any longer.

Conservative Republicans have insisted on a religious litmus test for all GOP candidates. Now they have to live with that, and Romney, unfortunately for him, will suffer for it.
As a moderate Republican, I sadly have to agree with you.

That said, polls have indicated that the evangelicals will get behind Romney after he wins the nomination. I posted some links in previous posts on this thread.

As an aside - isn't it ironic that the candidates they're supporting are Catholic?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

In Mormonism Jesus is believed to be the brother of Lucifer.....we all know who Lucifer is.... Satan....The Devil....etc

Didn't Mike Huckabee pose a similar question that got a lot of attention? I recall him backpedaling but it looks like these things will once again come to the forefront.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,838 times
Quote:
Is Romney's Mormonism hurting him?
Does it matter?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
As a moderate Republican, I sadly have to agree with you.

That said, polls have indicated that the evangelicals will get behind Romney after he wins the nomination. I posted some links in previous posts on this thread.

As an aside - isn't it ironic that the candidates they're supporting are Catholic?

And the Catholics are supporting Romney...lol. The world has truly gone crazy I guess.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

The Jesus of the Mormon Church : Apologetics research resources

Many don't know this fact and they don't talk about it much ....if at all.

http://www.equip.org/bible_answers/d...other-of-satan-

I don't believe most LDS would say that is exactly accurate. Why does someone's religion, as long as it is not harmful to others, matter when selecting a leader of the US, which is a country of very diverse beliefs. No one can represent all faiths and really shouldn't even try. That is not what the position is there for really. Do you thing someone of Jewish faith would have the same obstacles?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Why does someone's religion, as long as it is not harmful to others, matter when selecting a leader of the US, which is a country of very diverse beliefs. No one can represent all faiths and really shouldn't even try. That is not what the position is there for really. Do you thing someone of Jewish faith would have the same obstacles?
You're right, of course. But you are supporting a party that doesn't agree with that kind of tolerance.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You're right, of course. But you are supporting a party that doesn't agree with that kind of tolerance.

For the second time this week we agree...I am scared...lol. I agree with your earlier post in this thread also. My thoughts exactly on the religion issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections