Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:24 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,045 times

Advertisements

Perhaps what the OP was trying to get at is that Democrats tend to feel that patriotism can be demonstrated by fairly paying one's taxes, helping one's fellow man and questioning needless, endless wars. Republicans, on the other hand, tend to equate patriotism with being in the military and "serving one's country" in that capacity. Therefore, it is much more relevant to look at the Republican candidate's military family history vs. the Democrat candidate's. The fact is that Romney, as well as his many able-bodied sons, opted out of military service. Historically, Republicans tend to be pro-war while Democrats are more anti-war. So, yes, the OP asked a good question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 05:33 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Historically, Republicans tend to be pro-war while Democrats are more anti-war. So, yes, the OP asked a good question.
Really??We had democrats in the whitehouse for WW1/WW2/Korea and vietnam,the only major wars of the 20th century.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Really??We had democrats in the whitehouse for WW1/WW2/Korea and vietnam,the only major wars of the 20th century.
OK...more RECENT history, specifically, the current wars.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Obama was scrutinized?Really?What were his great qualifications to run a country?
he most certainly was scrutinized. Hillary did a thorough job of that. He had to prove his worth.

and he may not have had major qualifications but the country deemed him more competent than the other guy. Obama chose a stable running mate, the other guy chose a looney chicken head which told Americans that his judgement may not be all that sound.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
OK...more RECENT history, specifically, the current wars.
Well in practice I don't see where Obama has been much different than Bush but I suppose you are free to look at 'history' through whatever narrow scope you wish .

Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
he most certainly was scrutinized. Hillary did a thorough job of that. He had to prove his worth.

and he may not have had major qualifications but the country deemed him more competent than the other guy. Obama chose a stable running mate, the other guy chose a looney chicken head which told Americans that his judgement may not be all that sound.
Yes,Joe Biden has certainly proven himself to be a 'stable running mate'.We haven't had a VP provide so much comic relief since Dan Quayle!

The country took a chance on him,he can only 'prove his worth' by getting elected and doing the job.I guess you democrats thought he was more competent than Hillary Clinton,I wonder how many of you still feel that way?

Now that he has a three+ year record I guess voters will get the chance to show if they deem him more competent than they 'hope' Romney is.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Do you really want to go there?
Yes!

Lets...

Quote:
The obvious response is have any Obamas' ever served in the military?
Obama's grandfather was a WWII vet.

Now, Romney is the one talking big and puffing out his chest on how tough he'd be on Iran.

That's Chickenhawk talk.

Quote:
BHO certainly never bothered.
BHO hasn't satrted any wars, either. He's ended one of Bush's failures and he's winding down the other.

Romney talks like we haven't had enough middle east quagmires to suit him.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:28 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
LOL...Im not about to get into a pissing contest with you. So take your DD Form 2 and stick it (I bet you had to look that up hero). Mine is in my wallet

Now that is strange place to carry a DD214, must be some very odd new gig required for folks who may not have honorable discharges - don't really know, or care.

We won't get into any kind of "pissing contest". Hero, naw, just did my job.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
There hasn't been a president who served since Bush Sr. Personally, I think serving should be a requirement to be President.

Ron Paul served!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Just curious, have any of Mitt Romney's relatives ever served in the armed forces of the United States? I'm aware that none of his sons have seen fit to bother, but what about others in his lineage?
What about obama? What about biden? Have either of them saw 'fit to bother'? is military service suddenly a prerequisite to challenge obama for eh presidency?

The question is immaterial and irrelevant...and if you REALLY wanted to know the answer you could have googled it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections