Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In other words, a return to the good ol' days of the Robber Barons.
Ordinarily I'd call this and the fascism comment hyperbole. A Romney administration in normal times or with a big Democratic majority in the House would probably be fine to possibly good. Our system requires balance and a loyal but compromising opposition. However, the possibly of him being a rubber stamp for the dangerous legislation coming from the House these days is just too great.

But then again maybe we need a generation of living without the social safety net and environmental and labor protections we have put in place since over the past 100 years to appreciate why we put them there in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
^^^^
THIS!...Which, to me, is very scary!
If that, to you, is very scary, I would suggest you see a mental health professional.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
On the other hand, his love for his Mormon masters is a recurring theme.
It's definitely a recurring theme among the religious bigots. They can't seem to use the word "Romney" in a sentence without including the word "Mormon." You'd think we were voting for Pastor in Chief.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Many people, who have acquired massive wealth, find they are still not happy. The next thing these people set their sites on is power!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The choice offered by the right is global Fascism. By any definition, the marriage of business and government is Fascist to the core.
Can't you see that the Obama pattern of onerous laws with waivers to friends, and carveouts-exemptions-credits to favored groups, creates huge government power that ends up being corrupted by others? Fascism is the merger of big business and government--and it flourishes when bureaucrats have a lot of power, when friends can get waivers from the law, when favored industries get special tax breaks. In other words, the Obama agenda.

The Simpson Bowles or Romney solution of taking the garbage out of the tax code, lowering rates, and creating a more level playing field reduces government power--and reduces the chance for corruption of that power. The Romney idea of a smaller, less-intrusive government also reduces government power so reduces the opportunity for corruption of that power.

I say the choice offered by the left is fascist. It presents a dramatic increase in government power, which will inevitably be auctioned off to the highest bidder or used by political alllies. And we saw an example in the UAW bailout when $27 billion of our money was needlessly donated to political allies of the president--above and beyond what was needed to "save" the auto industry. Obama's laws like Dodd Frank and the ACA are dramatically concentrating power in the biggest players, and wiping out hometown companies. Big chain hospitals and big pharma wins, the solo practitioner loses. Wall Street wins, your Main Street bank loses. The little guy is getting crushed in virtually every line of business by the Dem agenda.

You are correct to be concerned about fascism. But you are looking the wrong direction.

Last edited by marcopolo; 07-24-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Romney is the favorite political puppet of the the wealthy. Big business know they can count on Romney to do their bidding and therefore they encourage and support him.

Every time I see him in a video I swear I can see the strings now and then.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
This is an excellent question.

Just like Bush Sr., Romney lacks "that vision thing." You never hear him articulate where he wants to take the country, probably because he has no such vision. That's not what being president is about for Mitt.

I think he views obtaining the Presidency the way he views acquiring companies--he has set his goal, and now he will do whatever it takes, will say whatever he thinks is necessary to allow him to close the deal. The really scary part is that we've all seen what happens to the entities Romney obtains once the deal is done. I suspect there are many Wall Street players out there just salivating at the prospect of a Romney presidency. They probably go to sleep every night with $$$ dancing in their heads at the very thought.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's definitely a recurring theme among the religious bigots. They can't seem to use the word "Romney" in a sentence without including the word "Mormon." You'd think we were voting for Pastor in Chief.
By all means, feel free to enumerate Romney's public service.

In the 60's he avoided military service in a war he publicly supported by taking refuge in a mission to France for three years.

In the late 90s he was recruited to try to salvage the Salt Lake Olympics that were on the verge of default. Another big service to his Mormon roots.

What has he ever done to serve America?

His record on that count is far from clear.

America seems to have been VERY advantageous to the Romneys. So, the question remains, why does he want to be president? It's an important question that he needs to clarify, because up til now, he certainly hasn't.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:

In the 60's he avoided military service in a war he publicly supported by taking refuge in a mission to France for three years.

In the late 90s he was recruited to try to salvage the Salt Lake Olympics that were on the verge of default. Another big service to his Mormon roots.

What has he ever done to serve America?

His record on that count is far from clear.

America seems to have been VERY advantageous to the Romneys. So, the question remains, why does he want to be president? It's an important question that he needs to clarify, because up til now, he certainly hasn't.
Umm, I thought the 2002 Winter Olympics were hosted by the United States of America. Are you saying they were hosted by the Mormon church? Is this one of those facts that only you know?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You apparently missed my point entirely. I'm actually planning to vote for Obama. I just see a candidate's choice of religion as being a non-issue -- or at least it should be. It's just getting very, very old seeing "Mormon" attached to virtually every post containing Romney's name.

Quote:
If you think for one minute that Romney "took refuge in a mission" to avoid the draft, you're sadly mistaken. I know you won't believe me, but as a practicing Mormon male, he would have been looking forward to serving a mission for years before the average American could even find Viet Nam on a map.

Quote:
Sorry, but these were not the Mo-lympics. Romney may very well have had his own resume in mind when he accepted the offer to take over Salt Lake City Olympics, but the LDS Church didn't benefit from the games being so successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections