Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
You missed the part where she mentioned living in a basement while hubby went to school. Her father worked in the mines. She and Mitt made their money.

YOu seem to value only those who can't pull themselves up and depend on the gov to care for them......
One person's poverty is as real as the other person's.

Mitt Romney is the son of a millionaire governor.

Real "salt of the earth" types, that Ann and Mitt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Aren't you just green with envy?
When you expressly present a narrative for political purposes one damn well better be prepared for it to be dissected and critically attacked for its weaknesses, hypocrisy, and lack of truthiness©.

The entire purpose and specific purpose of Ann Romeny's speech was try to change the factually based perception that the Romeny's are exceptionally wealthy and that she and Mitt are just like average folks.

As for your example about Mrs. Romney's having to deal with two very serious illness while raising 5 sons, I certainly wouldn't belittle that but the fact is, unlike most Americans, Mrs. Romney as a stay at home Mom also had FOUR women to help do the chores. Mrs Romney didn't have to worry about having healthcare insurance or having to pay for those costs (if there were any) that the insurance didn't cover. So, please, I'm not about to have a pitty party for Mrs. Romney.

http://www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/io...hread,11235592

Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,635 times
“I love the fact that there are women out there who don’t have a choice...."

Say WHAT?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
You missed the part where she mentioned living in a basement while hubby went to school. Her father worked in the mines. She and Mitt made their money.
I missed the part where she mentioned her ChickenHawk husband supporting the Vietnam War/draft yet running off to France rather than fighting the war he believed was the right thing to do.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Aren't you just green with envy? Or is it just pure hate? Guess you wish you could change places with a woman who raised five sons while dealing with breast cancer and MS just to get your greedy little hands on some of that money. Yup she had it easy cuz she's rich. This is so stupid. Do you not see that your hate is ugly and petty and it is what is going to tear our country apart? Stop the jealousy and pettiness and focus on something REAL!!!!!
It's not jealousy. It's the untruths she says when she claims to understand the real struggles of average American women. Yes, she's had to face medical problems, but she never once had to worry if she could afford the doctors and hospital bills, never had to worry about losing her job and/or insurance because of her illnesses, never had to worry that her medical problems would bankrupt her family--things that average Americans have to face and deal with on a daily basis. Yes, she's raised a family, but she never had to worry about putting food on the table or keeping a roof over their heads, a worry millions of Americans face every day.

No matter how you try to dress it up as jealousy or hate or anything else, the bottom line, she doesn't have the worries most Americans face on a daily basis, and never will. And for her to claim otherwise is dishonest and disingenuous.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 08-29-2012 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM

876 posts, read 709,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it isn't about envy or greed. just because she has similarities with other mothers doesn't mean she knows how someone who is a single poor mother has struggled. she is on equal ground with others who have experienced breast cancer and MS but she has not had the same worries as a minimum wage single mother. just because they both do the laundry doesn't make them equal
Why does she have to be a single mom for her to have compassion for other women. Does Michelle know what it is like to be a single mom? Do you disrespect her because she hasn't been? No mother knows what any mother has been through. Why do they HAVE to be EQUAL? How can any mother be equal to another except to say they know what it is like to be a mother. This arguement is petty. If you truly feel this way, then cast your petty judgements on all first ladies, because all of them have been rich.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:

YOu seem to value only those who can't pull themselves up and depend on the gov to care for them......
One person's poverty is as real as the other person's.
Yeah, I heard they even had to sell some of Mitt's stock to survive. That is rough. Honestly though, how can you say she and Mitt made their money with a straight face. Mitt's father was a CEO and governor, the man went to Cranbrook. Mitt had everything handed to him on a silver platter from super elite primary schooling to Bain connections.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When you expressly present a narrative for political purposes one damn well better be prepared for it to be dissected and critically attacked for its weaknesses, hypocrisy, and lack of truthiness©.

The entire purpose and specific purpose of Ann Romeny's speech was try to change the factually based perception that the Romeny's are exceptionally wealthy and that she and Mitt are just like average folks.

As for your example about Mrs. Romney's having to deal with two very serious illness while raising 5 sons, I certainly wouldn't belittle that but the fact is, unlike most Americans, Mrs. Romney as a stay at home Mom also had FOUR women to help do the chores. Mrs Romney didn't have to worry about having healthcare insurance or having to pay for those costs (if there were any) that the insurance didn't cover. So, please, I'm not about to have a pitty party for Mrs. Romney.

Mitt Romney's Maids' Salary Raises Questions
I guess I missed the part where she asked for your pity. She was simply telling their story. And she refused to apologize for the wealth they earned. Good for her!

Wealth is relative. All you people that boo hoo about being a single mom on food stamps would get laughed at by someone living in a thatch hut in a third world country. If you went to them *****ing and moaning about the difficulties of having a 10 year old car and having to cut coupons, they would rip you a new one.

It's all relative.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,842 times
I missed the speech last night. Did Ann mention again how she relates to people having it rough? The last time she did, she mentioned that to relieve the stress, she likes to ride her horse and practice dressage. Just like the rest of us po' folks.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 AM

412 posts, read 684,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I guess you're another one who thinks she doesn't know what it's like to be a real woman because "she has never worked a day in her life?" What is she supposed to say? "Na, na, boo, boo, bet you wish you lived my life because I live on easy street?" We all have our blessings and burdens. You shoudn't envy someone their blessings unless you are ready to take on their burdens. Personally, the wealth isn't worth the cancer and MS.
I think she knows what it's like to be a real woman.

I don't think she knows what it's like to be a single parent who has to work multiple jobs to make ends meet and then can't go to the doctor because she can't afford insurance.

But I am sure she knows what it's like to be a real woman.

Just not one that has had to struggle just to endure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections