Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 02:16 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Price Waterhouse released the summary. I'm thinking it's accurate.

You're "thinking" the summary is accurate.

See? That's the issue so many of us have - there is no way of knowing for sure if it is accurate or not.

And just because the summary says they "averaged" 20% over twenty years, so what? Maybe they averaged 25% some years and next to nothing others; couldn't that have explained the 20% over that twenty year time period?

Just the fact that they had the summary be for twenty years when all most of us have been asking about have been the last ten years is suspect. Is it not reasonable to speculate that the fact that they included so many years into that summary is that they are trying to manipulate those figures, much like they did with his charitable and business deductions? You know, the more years in that summary, the higher the rate it looks like he paid "averaged" out?

Again, this summary raises more questions than it has answered.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,465,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
You're "thinking" the summary is accurate.

See? That's the issue so many of us have - there is no way of knowing for sure if it is accurate or not.

And just because the summary says they "averaged" 20% over twenty years, so what? Maybe they averaged 25% some years and next to nothing others; couldn't that have explained the 20% over that twenty year time period?

Just the fact that they had the summary be for twenty years when all most of us have been asking about have been the last ten years is suspect. Is it not reasonable to speculate that the fact that they included so many years into that summary is that they are trying to manipulate those figures, much like they did with his charitable and business deductions? You know, the more years in that summary, the higher the rate it looks like he paid "averaged" out?

Again, this summary raises more questions than it has answered.
This summary is BS. How about the full tax returns Mittster? How about 10 years of the real Returns? They release this as if it's some wonderful thing and he is just so generous. Please. Make me barf!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:07 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
My bad, I guess. I am not a Mormon so I figured I'd read about it. I however, being a "recovering Roman Catholic" gathered information from many sources, not just the LDS Church. I read a lot of personal stories from former Mormons. Recovery from Mormonism - the Mormon Church That is how I found out about the "tithing settlement" towards the end of the year. So, if there is no such thing as tithing settlement, then what is this all about http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.d...settlement.htm
I never said anything about there not being Tithing Settlement. I said that payment of tithes is voluntary (which it is) and that the way in which a person calculates his tithing is a personal decision (which it is). Tithing settlement (also optional) is held towards the end of the year so that each person can meet with his or her bishop to make sure their numbers are in-sync. Since tithing can be claimed on a person's income tax, he'd want to make sure that all $10,000 he paid in tithing was fully accounted for. That way, in the event that a mistake had been made during the year, it could be resolved prior to the end of the year. He or she is also asked, "Is this a full tithe?" The answer would be either, "Yes, it is," or "No, it's a part tithe" (meaning less than 10%). Partial tithers and non-tithers are never, ever told to "pay up."

Quote:
Maybe my info is wrong because it has changed, and it's kind of hard for me to keep track of all the changes the LDS Church makes.
Or maybe it's because it's the anti-Mormon websites you're going to for your information.

Quote:
Then again, it is entirely possible you had/have an exceptional bishop. A lot of religions have devout members who are very good people, but the leadership/hierarchy is far from good and that's when some true believers leave.
I've had a couple of exceptional bishops and quite a number of pretty good ones. Tithing settlement has been handled the same way by every one of them (thoughout the years, I've had about 14 bishops).

Quote:
Back to the OP. I expected Romney to tithe at 10% of gross. It appears he is doing that. So, he is telling the truth about that particular aspect.
My guess is that he does. On the other hand, so do I, but if you were to look at my tax return, you wouldn't know it. While I was working, I paid on the amount that was withheld for Social Security (actually, it was Railroad Retirement, which is in liue of Social Security). Now that I am retired, I don't pay on my monthly Railroad Retirement check since I figure I already have. People who try to second-guess whether any particular Mormon pays a full tithing or not generally don't have all the facts, and come to an inaccurate conclusion.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

But this whole hoopla proves that

a) no matter what Romney did, or what his taxes said, the Left would find something to complain about
b) they care more about faux outrage than they do about the economy or the crisis overseas.
Agree, exactly what you said. They have no intention of ever voting for him, no matter what.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:27 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Cool hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, the real question is....was Romney eligible for Amnesty....

Got IRS Amnesty Lite? - Forbes

So, for your wish to be true, Romney would have to have lived outside the United States...

I could be wrong, and did very little research....but it did not take me find to find this...
IRS Offers Carrot And Stick For Offshore Disclosures - Forbes

U.S. citizens and permanent residents must report their worldwide income, even if it’s taxed somewhere else.

Last edited by walidm; 09-22-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 05:02 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Win or lose, the release of Romney's tax returns proves he is a far more decent and better man than the Obama sycophants voting against him.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:18 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Lightbulb hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Win or lose, the release of Romney's tax returns proves he is a far more decent and better man than the Obama sycophants voting against him.
Romney said, "I don’t pay more than are legally due and frankly if I had paid more than are legally due I don’t think I’d be qualified to become President. I’d think people would want me to follow the law and pay only what the tax code requires.”

Goodbye Mitt.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I was a conservative. Loved McCain and did not care for Obama. Until the GOP started getting more and more radical. I dont like extremists. Should McCain not choosen Ms. "I can see russia from my house" he would have won back in 2008.

So sorry. They lost me. Obama is not perfect but anyone but Romney. Anyone.

Such blatant lying. The Republican party never had you. If they truly did, there is nothing that this piece of crap psuedo-president has done to change a true conservatives mind.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
IRS Offers Carrot And Stick For Offshore Disclosures - Forbes

U.S. citizens and permanent residents must report their worldwide income, even if it’s taxed somewhere else.
I also gave a website...so whats your point?

Oh, I got it...walidm sties are better because waldim posted them...

You don't believe mine....I don't believe yours....

Old 09-22-2012, 07:05 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Yeah, animal abuse, lying, driving companies into the ground causing Americans to lose jobs, outsourcing jobs causing Americans to lose jobs, not releasing his tax returns, and a whole slew of other things makes Romney great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Such blatant lying. The Republican party never had you. If they truly did, there is nothing that this piece of crap psuedo-president has done to change a true conservatives mind.
I didn't know that to be a true Conservative that you had to be racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I also gave a website...so whats your point?

Oh, I got it...walidm sties are better because waldim posted them...

You don't believe mine....I don't believe yours....
You even said when you posted your link that you could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections