Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegQ View Post
I listened to the debate and fail to see how Romney won. The pattern I'm noticing is that the medial shills for him whenever he's behind. They did it in the Republican Primary which Gingrich would have otherwise won and they did it in 2002 when he ran for Governor.
I think if you take off your koolaide colored glasses, you might be able to see reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is serious business. The POTUS and the direction of our country. And so many of you act like you are at a football game or something.

The level of immaturity in this country and especially on this forum is shocking. Do some of you people know how to act like adults?

THIS IS SERIOUS

We saw a bungling, inept, and petulent man who has been president for four years. He has presided over failed policy and has been unable to work with the other party. We saw first hand WHY the nation is adrift- the president is incompetent. I am sure that his adoring supporters were shocked and embarrassed.

There were no teleprompters, no controlled audience, and no media "massaging" of Obama last night. It was just him.

Our enemies saw Obama last night and will be emboldened by his ineptitude. It was embarrassing for the nation as a whole. You are right- this is not a football game. This is serious. Obama MUST be removed from office in order to have some competent leadership in the Oval Office.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, the moderation was horrible. Romney was well prepared, while it seemed like Obama was holding back, and that is probably his strategy in a three debate contest. He did not use any of the obvious attack lines people expected, so I guess he is saving them for later. Neither candidate made any clear mistakes, so I am not sure how this will affect the undecided voters.

Romney needs to come up with specifics, because it was becoming obvious he was just throwing promises to everyone, but when pressed for details, he had none. The 5 trilion dollar tax cut which was fact-checked to cost 4.8 trillion is a monster spending bill, and he said he would pay for it with closing deductions, but he refused to say which deductions would be eliminated. He said he has a healthcare plan which includes all the selling points of Obamacare, but again, no details. It is easy to promise stuff when you don't have to explain how you will accomplish it. I think he could be in trouble when that is used against him.

Typically in a three debate contest the claims made during the first debate will be used as ammunition against you in the next two, and Romney gave Obama a lot of ammo last night.

This is pretty funny. A guy that ran on "hope and change" with no specifics or details and you fell for it hook line and sinker, yet you're demanding more details from the challenger.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 AM

177 posts, read 197,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, we will have to see how the others go, but if you remmeber Kerry vs Bush first debate, Kerry was on fire accusing Bush of all kinds of failures, and Bush was just taking the body shots seemingly meekly, but in the other debates he took all Kerry's shots and used them against him. It's not just Bush and Obama as individuals, they have a legions of people behind them, going over every word of the opponent, and you can count on it that they will find the ammo to shoot back.
Ask Mike Dukakis how winning the first debate worked out for him in 1988. It didn't do him any good in the second debate or ultimately the election. Romney will become the third such flame out from Massachusetts. He's nothing more than a a cross between Dukakis and Kerry but with an (R) next to his name.

3,457 posts, read 4,652,197 times
The bottom line in this whole thing is that Romney shellacked Obama last night. Obama seemed petulant and out of touch, Romney had a very clear answer to the problems that the Obama administration has created and fostered over the past 4 years. Obama stammered and stuttered much of the night and didn't seem strong at all. Even the closing arguments showed a very confident Romney addressing the camera and a weak Obama being the empty chair that Clint accused him of being.

This whole debate will more than likely leave a sour taste in many liberals mouths and will provide a HUGE boost to Romney and his campaign.

WINNER: Romney in a unanimous decision!!!!

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Default No Flipping of the Coin for the First Lady

What was with this "flip of the coin" to see which wife would be introduced first at the Debate last night? Michelle Obama is the First Lady of the U.S. She should DEFINITELY be introduced first. She should have been treated with deference.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Say what you want about Obama, but he's a smart politician, and his team is very savvy. His performance last night was very carefully orchestrated. They knew exactly what Romney was going to do and, to some degree, say, and the Obama approach was designed with those things in mind. It was a risky move that might backfire, but my gut tells me Mitt just walked into a trap.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Anyone who has paid attention to my time here knows I am democratic through and through, always have been.

One aggressive little GOP'r who did well in one debate is not going to change that.

Barack looked unprepared and looked like he would rather have been having dinner with his wife on his anniversary. We can't always be on top of our game, ALL of us have a bad day at work.

I think Barack looked tired and stressed. When you look at the pile of dung he was handed by the previous administration and look at what he has accomplished I think we can all excuse him for being tired.

But I think like Rocky who always took his licks in the the early rounds of fights, Barack will be prepared next time and he should be. He is the president and if he wants to keep his job this is part of the deal.

I have to give credit to Romney though. I really liked the way he handled the education question. In fact I am pretty convinced he will not harm education and may be a better education pres than Barack and to me that is VERY important.

The economy I think is where Barack really dropped the ball in the debate. The trillions of dollars of tax cuts that Romnney wants to give his supporters along with doubling the military budget (really Mitt?) I think should sink any chance he has. Barack should have beaten that drum more and really nailed Mitt down on exactly what these loopholes he is talking about are and what they add up to.

Barack I think assumed too much. He assumed that most people are smart enough to see through Mitt's baloney but in reality they aren't. All a lot of people care about really is a fight, even if the facts are not right. Just look at this forum, many adults in this country have the maturity of a 13 year old.

Anyone with a lick of common sense knows that Mitt will take an already terrible debt and double it his first term. He is more of the same of what the republicans have always produced. Cut taxes and increase spending. That is exactly what he says he will do! And the poor and lower income folks will suffer greatly.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Live-Blogging The First Presidential Debate 2012 - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

{snip}

The person with authority on that stage was Romney - offered it by one of the lamest moderators ever, and seized with relish. This was Romney the salesman. And my gut tells me he sold a few voters on a change tonight. It's beyond depressing. But it's true.
Romney owned the stage, he owned Obama and the moderator. That timid moderator may as well not have even been there.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
The debate showed one thing, Obama had not accomplished anything in four years. Except, help illegals gain citizenship.

Romney, can't be any worse than the last four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections