Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won tonight's VP debate?
Biden, It was an old school, blue collar beatdown 141 55.08%
Ryan, he showed youth and enthusiasm 80 31.25%
Neither/toss up 35 13.67%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 PM

396 posts, read 709,640 times

Advertisements

Independent here......(liberal independent though).....

I think Romney beat the crap out of Obama in the first debate....but last night belonged to Biden.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Doesn't surpirse me that this board puts Biden as the winner, there are some hard core conservatives here, but for the most part I think a lot of people are left leaning here or centrists.

No one cares about Libya, but Republicans will keep playing that string until Nov 7th.

Its the economy stupid. All last night, Biden kept pivoting to the economy and 47%. Ryan had tough questions he could have pivoted back to the economy on, but he didn't.

After 12 years of war, people are numb to foreign stuff. Its a hidden war, hidden crap going overseas, Republicans can think Bush for that attitude. People swallowed wars for 8 years, so its been easier to swallow for the last 4.

Its all about the economy.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,666,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
After 12 years of war, people are numb to foreign stuff. Its a hidden war, hidden crap going overseas, Republicans can think Bush for that attitude. People swallowed wars for 8 years, so its been easier to swallow for the last 4.

Not to mention, but if ROMney+ryAN think staying in Afghanistan for a few more years, or invading other countries in the ME will make a difference, they just don't know history.

To make ANY kind of change in those populations and how they think, we'd have to stay there for at least 50 years, if not longer, essentially running their countries and educating their children for two generations, or more.

Anything less is just a waste of lives, money, and time.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,860,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Too busy watching Biden laughing and being rude. Not very presidential and I didn't appreciate the rudeness. I wonder what the Muslim Brotherhood would do if he did that to them. Thump
Well, you condone lies and misinformation. No wonder why you'd be upset at Biden. I would have been disgusted at lies and misinformation on that stage as well. Sample: (while making excuses to oppose commitment to withdraw troops from Afghanistan)
Ryan:“We don’t want to do is give our allies reason to trust us less [by announcing a withdrawal timeline for Afghanistan].”
Biden:“That’s a bizarre statement. .. Forty-nine of our allies — hear me — 49 of our allies signed on to this position.”

Call it rude. I call it using facts to put an idiot down to where he really belongs (that is in the hearts of the typical who would take anything from such idiots).

Old 10-12-2012, 12:36 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,974,609 times
Quote:
After 12 years of war, people are numb to foreign stuff.
Disagree. After 12 years of war, and specifically war on the credit card, people are SICK of foreign entanglements. Rand Paul adeptly represented this sentiment in his recent comments about Romeny's foreign policy speech, and Rand Paul SUPPORTS Romney. It's really a handful of old fogey neo-cons who pull many of the strings that keep insisting on Republican nominees extending America's military to every corner of the globe further and further and on a more and more permanent basis, AND spending way more on defense than the military even wants or asks for or says it takes to get the job done.

That's why when you hear just about anybody talk about reducing spending in the national political arena, you can't half trust what they're saying because some people simply want to increase entitlement spending as much as they can and others simply want to increase defense spending as much as they can. But after 12 years of war, the American military is saying we don't NEED that much money, neo-conservative impirialists, and the American citizen is saying we don't NEED all these foreign entanglements, neo-conservative imperialists. And even a few rational Republicans have been wising up and saying the same thing.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Disagree. After 12 years of war, and specifically war on the credit card, people are SICK of foreign entanglements. Rand Paul adeptly represented this sentiment in his recent comments about Romeny's foreign policy speech, and Rand Paul SUPPORTS Romney. It's really a handful of old fogey neo-cons who pull many of the strings that keep insisting on Republican nominees extending America's military to every corner of the globe further and further and on a more and more permanent basis, AND spending way more on defense than the military even wants or asks for or says it takes to get the job done.

That's why when you hear just about anybody talk about reducing spending in the national political arena, you can't half trust what they're saying because some people simply want to increase entitlement spending as much as they can and others simply want to increase defense spending as much as they can. But after 12 years of war, the American military is saying we don't NEED that much money, neo-conservative impirialists, and the American citizen is saying we don't NEED all these foreign entanglements, neo-conservative imperialists. And even a few rational Republicans have been wising up and saying the same thing.

Bloomberg National Poll conducted by Selzer & Company. Sept. 21-24, 2012. N=1,007 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.1.
"Which of the following do you see as the most important issue facing the country right now? Unemployment and jobs. The federal deficit. Health care. Gas prices. The situation in the Middle East. Taxes. Immigration. Terrorism." Options rotated
%Unemployment and jobs 43
Federal deficit 14
Health care 11
Gas prices 7
Situation in the Middle East 6
Taxes 4
Immigration 3
Terrorism 3
Other (vol.) 4

None of these (vol.) 1
Unsure 4

Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM

32,151 posts, read 34,817,746 times
Quote:
Doesn't surpirse me that this board puts Biden as the winner, there are some hard core conservatives here, but for the most part I think a lot of people are left leaning here or centrists.

No one cares about Libya, but Republicans will keep playing that string until Nov 7th.

Its the economy stupid. All last night, Biden kept pivoting to the economy and 47%. Ryan had tough questions he could have pivoted back to the economy on, but he didn't.

Eh. I don't know about that. I think the prospect of a full scale Iraqi-type military escalation will certainly give some people pause. The U.S. is not currently engaged in any military operations on that scale, so I don't think we can really say that the American people would simply "swallow" a new war in the Middle East.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Eh. I don't know about that. I think the prospect of a full scale Iraqi-type military escalation will certainly give some people pause. The U.S. is not currently engaged in any military operations on that scale, so I don't think we can really say that the American people would simply "swallow" a new war in the Middle East.

Look, the daily Presidential tracking polls are about useless.

Want to see what people are thinking, look at the voting priority polls. Fox, Bloomberg, Rasmussen, NBC, everyone agrees,

Its the economy.

Afghanistan doesn't even show up on the list, and terrorism and Libya are around 5%.

Its all the economy and jobs, thats what this election started on, thats what it'll be decided on Nov 6. And as long as the unemployment numbers are at 7.8%, Romney will try and shift it to Libya, but people don't care.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Call it rude. I call it using facts to put an idiot down to where he really belongs (that is in the hearts of the typical who would take anything from such idiots).
We also had a timetable and an orderly drawdown of troops in Iraq. And then we went out and killed Osama bin Laden. And overthrew Ghadaffi. And somehow we communicated our "weakness" to the international community? C'mon, man.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Look, the daily Presidential tracking polls are about useless.

Want to see what people are thinking, look at the voting priority polls. Fox, Bloomberg, Rasmussen, NBC, everyone agrees,

Its the economy.

Afghanistan doesn't even show up on the list, and terrorism and Libya are around 5%.

Its all the economy and jobs, thats what this election started on, thats what it'll be decided on Nov 6. And as long as the unemployment numbers are at 7.8%, Romney will try and shift it to Libya, but people don't care.
I'm not saying the economy doesn't matter. I'm saying that Biden put a neglected issue on the table--the Iran War--which will make some people think twice before casting a vote for Romney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections