Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM

753 posts, read 728,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Wrong again. MR used a 74% white vote percentage, while most professional polls used 72%. It came in at 72. (At 74%, MR could barely squeak out 270..if every close call came his way).

It will be under 70 by '16, under 65% by '20.
To be fair, the Romney campaign could only have guessed that white turnout would drop to around 72% of the electorate if they had done something like... you know... looked at long-term historical trends.

Turnout in Presidential Elections:
1992 - 87
1996 - 83
2000 - 81
2004 - 77
2008 - 74

Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm talking about sheer numbers. Fewer whites voted in 2012 than in 2008 or than in 2004, despite the white adult population having increased. I believe fewer whites actually voted in 2008 than in 2004.

Why was the white percentage of the vote down so much? Primarily because white turnout was down.

The white percentage of the vote was traditionally dropping about 3% every presidential election and, while higher in the mid-terms, was dropping about 3% each mid-term election when compared to the last mid-term. While 2010 could arguably be considered a special case, the white percentage of the vote dropped only 1.5% between 2006 and 2010.
Whites are above the US median age in total, as their family size and married percentages have gone down sharply. So their long-term drop is no great shock-it has been projected very well.

The 2006-2010 light drop was most likely due to lack of interest in '06. Any of us with bonus plans at work know the effect a poor base year can have on such a factor. Few off year elections get the turnout 2010 did.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
I'm really so tired of this sheeit! This is getting boring. I guess, there's also the possibility that Donald Duck can be president by inauguration day. Hey, it is a possibility, right?!?

No, I haven't read this thread ... no time ... no desire .. it's just wasted bandwidth. I can't even believe anyone replied, let alone a discussion going on for ... what now ... 8 pages?!?! I guess it's a low news day ... again!

Gimme a break.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you. As far as the hurricane, though, it didn't have much to do with the area it hit. It was more about the "rally around the flag" effect and giving Obama a last-minute opportunity - at the perfect time - to appear to be a wonderful leader and also about the media no longer talking about Romney gaining in the polls since the first debate. The one election I was an undecided voter in, I remember suddenly paying attention the week before voting.
I agree that the hurricane likely helped Obama's favorables, but Romney was already slowly dropping in the polls after the second debate and Obama's positives were growing. THEN Sandy hit.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Mitt Romney Can Still Be The President by Inaugaration Day 2013

Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Perhaps Ann will let him read his acceptence speech to her January 20th.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
I'm really so tired of this sheeit! This is getting boring. I guess, there's also the possibility that Donald Duck can be president by inauguration day. Hey, it is a possibility, right?!?

No, I haven't read this thread ... no time ... no desire .. it's just wasted bandwidth. I can't even believe anyone replied, let alone a discussion going on for ... what now ... 8 pages?!?! I guess it's a low news day ... again!

Gimme a break.
It's ok...They're still mad. Let them vent..

Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I specifically clarified there is a difference between what supporters of a candidate say and what a candidate or campaign (or a campaign representative or a Super PAC) says..

I specifically clarified that it was Romney's (and his campaign's) responsibility to refute the claims and that they did not do an effective job of refuting the claims.

Despite being a Romney supporter, I have been a vocal critic of the Romney campaign throughout the election season on this forum, as well as after the election. In fact, I only think they did two things right.
I live in a swing state. I saw just about every campaign commercial made. I saw plenty of mean, nasty commercials from both sides, particularly from the PACs. I didn't think Obama's supporters were any worse than Romney's. Romney's own son implied that Obama was not born in the US. Do you think that was just a slip of the tongue? Obama himself said:

“I don’t think that Gov. Romney is somehow responsible for the death of that woman,” Obama said.

Obama, who spoke at an impromptu news conference today in the White House briefing room, did not condemn the ad. But he said he did he “did not approve” it, noted it was put out by a third party, and said it has “barely” run on the air.

Here are some anti-Obama ads:

Anti-Obama attack ad finally earns Romney points among independent voters | Research News @ Vanderbilt | Vanderbilt University

Mitt Romney's Unethically Deceptive Anti-Obama Campaign Ad - YouTube

Obama Distances from Romney-Killed-My-Wife Ad | The Blog on Obama: White House Dossier

Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lol I predict this will never happen.

Although Obama resigning in shame over Benghazi is a possibility.
Liz Taylor and Richard Burton coming back from the dead to do a re-make of "Cleopatra" is also a possibility. In fact, more possible than your scenario.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 PM

831 posts, read 680,667 times
Quote:
I specifically clarified there is a difference between what supporters of a candidate say and what a candidate or campaign (or a campaign representative or a Super PAC) says..

I specifically clarified that it was Romney's (and his campaign's) responsibility to refute the claims and that they did not do an effective job of refuting the claims.

Despite being a Romney supporter, I have been a vocal critic of the Romney campaign throughout the election season on this forum, as well as after the election. In fact, I only think they did two things right.

You're not giving your boy and the gop enough credit here.

One other thing that you folks did really well, was to p!$$ off the Minorities with yer deciept and thinking we were going to fall for it and then have the ordasity to pass it on as "gifts", im an Asian and im still waiting for my frigging gift. You republican morons are still busy beating around the bush whilst were planning onto the next elections onto 2014 and onto the 2016 GE. Ohh and you sure did fire our base goood!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections