Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:51 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Think about it. He's kinda hanging around, on an "I told ya so" tour. Mitt was on MTP last Sunday, offering warm praise for some GOP prospects, while dissing others. Notably, he's smooching Christie's butt.

Assuming the TP is finished except in local swamps, the 2016 GOP ticket is going to be moderate, business-savvy, professional pols, probably all current and FORMER governors.

If Christie fails the background check (as Halperin and Heilemann's new book suggests he might)... why not give Romney another shot?

Can you feel the Mittmentum???

And please, don't give me "The Tea Party, blah blah blah" You guys are DONE nationally.
I don't know what "MTP" means, but if you think the Tea Party is "finished," you might be in for a shock. It isn't. Just because the "establishment Republicans" are dissing it, is no indication it is finished. In fact, VA last week was a good example that it is alive and well. Had the Democrats not been funding Sarvis, he would have been out of the picture, and Cuccinelli would have won. If the Republican Party had given support to Cuccinelli (whatever support they did give was paltry, and that dried up weeks before), Cuccinelli would have mopped the floor with McAuliffe (McAuliffe did not get a majority to vote for him, as more people voted for the other two than voted for McAuliffe).

It's unfortunate that Republican women were duped into voting for McAuliffe based on Cuccinelli's pro-life position, as if a Governor can affect abortion law on his own.

Mitt would be as unacceptable to most Republicans as he was last time, had he not been shoved down our throats by the "establishment Republicans" (thanks, Karl). Mitt is probably the reason so many conservatives stayed home, thus throwing the victory to Obama. It's a shame, but that is what happened. Obama didn't deserve to win. People not voting saw to it that he did.

Forget Christie. He's mostly just popular in his state, and he didn't bring any Republicans along with him last week. I have read that not one Republican running anywhere in NJ won. He is not an acceptable candidate for President in the eyes of most Republicans, at least not conservative ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:55 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Nah, he got too far last time. When you get that far and lose, you don't get another chance.

I wish him the best, though (even though, with all that money and a big happy family, he doesn't need my puny well-wishes). He was a great governor, and I hope history remembers that rather than his losing bid for president.
History will remember him for selling out his own legacy for a shot at the White House. I never liked the guy, but he did have a decent record of governing in Massachusetts, which he himself shredded on the alter of the Tea Party purists. For nothing, as it turns out.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I think the 47% thing has ruined him. He will still need to show those 10 years of tax returns.

He is damaged goods now.
This is true, but it shouldn't have, because (in context) what he said is true. That's just the way things are in almost any election. But, when that word leaked out, the Democrats played it for all it was worth, and there is no doubt that it did hurt.

He would have won anyway, had so many conservatives not stayed home.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
If a house were haunted today, would it be haunted tomorrow? Crystal ball says yes.

47% in 2016 might be leaked as 57% or 67%, Bain Capital, Pro choice-no-pro life, Robamacare, etc..

I wonder which flavor of flip flop wine he likes? LOL

Beyond repair. Ann Romney says......

News The end of Mitt Romney s political life - YouTube
Forget Bain Capital. McAuliffe has a similar background. Nobody cared in VA, did they?

What killed Romney (and we in my family were not Romney fans, till we were left with no other choice) is that the Republican base sat out the election.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think and I have said this before, he has any interest in politics anymore. He is content to enjoy living in La Jolla and playing with is hundreds of grandkids. Well not hundreds, but there are a heck of a lot of them!!!!
I didn't know he lived in La Jolla, my old stompping grounds? I'm not surprised. Lot's of good golfing there if your into it (I'm not), like Torrey Pines.

My wife and I lived right off Windansea beach when we were first married, till we bought our first home in Mira Mesa.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Forget Bain Capital. McAuliffe has a similar background. Nobody cared in VA, did they?

What killed Romney (and we in my family were not Romney fans, till we were left with no other choice) is that the Republican base sat out the election.
Didn't someone say earlier he lost because of leftist smears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Who would want the job of cleaning up Obama's mess? Honestly, the electorate doesn't deserve Romney. He has better things to do than subject himself to another round of personal smears from leftist losers.
Hay trace, the guy shot himself in both feet, what did you expect?

Old 11-09-2013, 12:15 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
History will remember him for selling out his own legacy for a shot at the White House. I never liked the guy, but he did have a decent record of governing in Massachusetts, which he himself shredded on the alter of the Tea Party purists. For nothing, as it turns out.
So true! What's sadder is that it's made him bitter as hell. His "I Told You So" tour, as earlier posters are calling it, is just shameful and only serves to further erode his great-governor image.

I still like him, though. And I think we need more business-minded politicians like him.

I fear the Republican party is going to keep pandering to the ultraconservatives because they can't be as sure that they'll get the moderate vote as they are that they'll get libertarian/Tea Party votes.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,700 times
Now it is being revealed that Mitt was "fat-shaming" overweight women to his campaign workers, thus even further reinforcing his paternalistic, misogynistic image. It's time for a female president, in fact long overdue.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Now it is being revealed that Mitt was "fat-shaming" overweight women to his campaign workers, thus even further reinforcing his paternalistic, misogynistic image. It's time for a female president, in fact long overdue.
oh for heavens sake, where did you get that information? Anyone can say anything, but that doesn't make is true. I don't think anyone can honestly believe because of something that might have been said, it is time for a woman President. Would you say that if the woman running was Sarah Palin against a male Democrat? Why do I think I know the answer to that? It is time for a President that can work with both sides, can make us respected world wide and get things done. If that is a female, black, Hispanic, gay, whatever, great, but lets' not elect someone because of their gender...Please!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:23 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
The last thing we need is a President just to fill a demographic quota. The ignorant electorate did that the last 2 presidential elections, and look at the incompetent boob we got as a result.

Shrillary would be Barack 2.0, except even more shrill with an endless capacity to nag. No thanks, although I do admit she's the ideal candidate for the sirens that make up the base of the Democrat Party these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections