Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Rand Paul apparently (I only use this word because he hasn't declared yet) wants to run for President and the Senate simultaneously in 2016. But will Kentucky state law allow him to do that? And if he has to quit the Senate to run for President, the Kentucky governor is a Democrat. If the governor has to appoint someone to replace him, could that tip the Senate back into the hands of the Democrats?

"'Yes, I am working on clarifying an ambiguous state law that Rand Paul believes is unconstitutional if it is interpreted to bar running for re-election to the Senate and for president at the same time,' Kentucky Senate Majority Leader Damon Thayer told The Times on Monday. 'The purpose of the bill will be to make clear that Rand Paul or anyone in a similar situation in Kentucky can run for both offices in the same year,' Mr. Thayer explained."

Rand Paul looking to hedge bet in 2016 election - Washington Times

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,392 times
hmm, I hadnt heard about this, thanks for sharing.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Many states have changed their laws so a candidate can do both.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Rand Paul apparently (I only use this word because he hasn't declared yet) wants to run for President and the Senate simultaneously in 2016. But will Kentucky state law allow him to do that? And if he has to quit the Senate to run for President, the Kentucky governor is a Democrat. If the governor has to appoint someone to replace him, could that tip the Senate back into the hands of the Democrats?

"'Yes, I am working on clarifying an ambiguous state law that Rand Paul believes is unconstitutional if it is interpreted to bar running for re-election to the Senate and for president at the same time,' Kentucky Senate Majority Leader Damon Thayer told The Times on Monday. 'The purpose of the bill will be to make clear that Rand Paul or anyone in a similar situation in Kentucky can run for both offices in the same year,' Mr. Thayer explained."

Thoughts?
The law looks like he can't run for both offices in the same year, meaning he would have to choose whether to run for President or Senate. The governor wouldn't have appoint anyone to his Senate seat, it would just have an open election with no incumbent running in November (if the law stands as it is).

He would not have to quit the Senate, however, to run, just would have to not seek re-election. And furthermore, it wouldn't have to tip the Senate back into the hands of Democrats, as the Democrats control the Senate. So, unfortunately, your post is quite flawed.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
The law looks like he can't run for both offices in the same year, meaning he would have to choose whether to run for President or Senate. The governor wouldn't have appoint anyone to his Senate seat, it would just have an open election with no incumbent running in November (if the law stands as it is).

He would not have to quit the Senate, however, to run, just would have to not seek re-election. And furthermore, it wouldn't have to tip the Senate back into the hands of Democrats, as the Democrats control the Senate. So, unfortunately, your post is quite flawed.
Yup, I definitely messed up on the quitting the Senate part but to add insult to injury I also assumed the Republicans could take the Senate in 2016 by maybe only one seat and that the governor's (erroneous part) replacement (finishing out Paul's term) would have a leg up on winning it in 2016 throwing it to the Democrats (not really back to them). Sorry, you're right.

But, the part about Paul running for two offices and Kentucky's law is accurate so I give myself a D instead of an F.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I doubt Rand Paul would stay in the Senate if he ran for President

Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I am glad he is planning ahead if Senator Paul should run. Rand would be a Great Consideration for the Republican and would indeed offer a clear alternative to Ms. Clinton . That is if she decides to run. Ms. Clinton and Bill have a sorted past and may not be the pick for the Dem's.

This should be interesting to us News Junkies!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Quote:
Yup, I definitely messed up on the quitting the Senate part but to add insult to injury I also assumed the Republicans could take the Senate in 2016 by maybe only one seat and that the governor's (erroneous part) replacement (finishing out Paul's term) would have a leg up on winning it in 2016 throwing it to the Democrats (not really back to them). Sorry, you're right.

But, the part about Paul running for two offices and Kentucky's law is accurate so I give myself a D instead of an F.
I'd give you a C+, since after Florida, the Rs taking back the Senate seems more than plausible. I'm a Paul supporter, so I'm hoping the bill is pushed through to allow him to run without sacrificing the lock he has on his seat. With a D in the governors chair, and the condition of the DNC after these dismal years in power, I'd say he'll veto it.

Joe Biden and Joe Lieberman both ran for VP and the Senate in the same years.

On the other hand, Senator Thayer believes Paul can run for both offices without a law change.

Rand Paul 2016

Old 03-13-2014, 11:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
I'd give you a C+, since after Florida, the Rs taking back the Senate seems more than plausible. I'm a Paul supporter, so I'm hoping the bill is pushed through to allow him to run without sacrificing the lock he has on his seat. With a D in the governors chair, and the condition of the DNC after these dismal years in power, I'd say he'll veto it.

Joe Biden and Joe Lieberman both ran for VP and the Senate in the same years.

On the other hand, Senator Thayer believes Paul can run for both offices without a law change.

Rand Paul 2016
I was under the impression it depended on the individual state. ??

Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
We will know Paul's intentions next year. He still has over 18 months to leave the Senate, and that's more than enough time to hold a special election or a Gubernatorial appointment to replace him.

Personally, I don't think he'll run for Prez. He's still a freshman senator, and I think he's more likely to be properly cautious and seek another term first, then make a run in 2020 after he knows if the winds have shifted in his favor.

But anything is possible at this point. I'm sure he is not the only Senator pondering 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections