Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 07:47 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What the Tea Party started out as, is not what the Tea Party has morphed into.
The only difference between the GOP and the tea party is one faction doesn't believe in legitimate rape, while the other does. One side believes that black people are better off today than 60 years ago, the other believes that "Negroes" were better off as slaves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This helps the GOP. It may hurt the current leadership but it helps the party.
This is why I jumped ship. The tea party radicals can't see through their extremism. The country doesn't want you.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,284,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im a ron paul supporter but I couldn't help but be incredibly annoyed at many of the ron paul nuts. you need to give some of them a sedative and tell them to wait until they can mature and have an adult conversation before they start ranting on and on. too much emotion.

im not sure im totally on board with the libertarian party. im not ok with open borders. I think a lot of republicans and libertarians have overlapping beliefs. its really the corrupt politicians that are the major problem moreso than some of the places where conservatives & libertarians differ.
Ron Paul isn't for open borders. I see this all the time. "I don't like Ron Paul or I don't like the Libertarian position because......." and it's not even a position they hold.

Will you find a minority that might? Sure but you will find a pro-choice supporters that believe one should be able to take the life even after birth. Is it fair to paint everyone with pro-choice beliefs with the same brush?

Illegal Immigration

Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I think that you are trying to portray mainstream conservatism as "extreme right wing ideology." there is nothing extreme about the tea party.

I think American voters will embrace a small government, pro private sector business, anti-crony capitalist agenda.
For some the idea of something like a balanced budget is an extreme position.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And what does that have to do with the examples I cited?
You were pointing out a very small minority of races to try and point out an extreme while ignore the many seats the Democrats lost because the country was saying they were too extreme.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Now that the post mortems have begun Eric Cantor seems to have fallen upon his own sword by forgetting the cardinal rule of politics; everything is local.

Senators can afford to tick off some aspect of their state's population long as a majority remain. OTOH House members who do not vote and or listen to their district are toast. Mr. Cantor (and his staff) apparently became too aloof and or comfortable, worse they simply didn't take any threats seriously.

When you look at establishment candidates that thus far have beaten back TP challengers one thing is clear; they got out early and fast to connect with members of their district.

In some ways you have to give Mr. Cantor credit in that took the risks regarding immigration reform knowing it ticked no small part of his constituency off.

Sadly once again the loons of the RP just don't get it and apparently never will. So this district will send yet another hate spewing idiot to Washington D.C. that will do nothing for the party but give it more bad names (are there any left?), and in the end regardless immigration reform along with a host of other things the TP dreads will happen anyway, with or without their votes.

All this does is give Democrats including the governor and others holding high office in VA a platform to push that state further to the left. In the end you'll have a few angry pockets that can and likely will be ignored.

On the one hand you do have to admire the persons of Mr. Cantor's district for their historic (if not stupid) votes. Throwing out one of the most powerful men in the RP if not government for a totally unknown idiot. Come the end of this year all the prestige and power to "deliver" for said district goes with Mr. Cantor.
Here is another post that should be repeated for the important lesson it shows. Not too many understand the lesson but it's still fun to point out.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
From what I read in the papers it is the Obama administrations that is deporting a much higher number of people than Bush. Here's one source and here's a MSM article imploring Obama to stop the rampant deportations. Seems to me the law IS being enforced.
The government and numbers.

https://www.numbersusa.com/content/n...tatistics.html

Old 06-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well you have a point. The turnout was 12% so Brat got 6 1/2 % of the eligible voters. Anyway you look at it, it's not an uprising. In fact, given the tea party has been doing rather poorly this season including a very strong win by Graham just last night, it probably means far less that the right extreme wants to think it does. I'll settle for the all politics is local conclusion for the outcome on this one. Cantor is a butt, he does not appeal to many including Dems who hate his behavior more than the ultra-cons do. It's is premature and, I believe, ultimately wrong to take this election as evidence that the tea party is resurgent. The media, of course, is not going to leave it at that. They have to proclaim the second coming or the end of the world depending on their political persuasion. Let's be smart enough not to go along with that.
65,000 people voted in this election. 47,000 voted in 2012. Much can be written about that but the idea that this happened because of a small turn out is false. (historically speaking)

Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What the Tea Party started out as, is not what the Tea Party has morphed into.
Yes it is but there are some who aligned themselves with the Tea Party only to get their faces on television. ie: Palin and Bachmann.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The only difference between the GOP and the tea party is one faction doesn't believe in legitimate rape, while the other does. One side believes that black people are better off today than 60 years ago, the other believes that "Negroes" were better off as slaves
And Democrats believe that too many people on an island will tip it over.

snopes.com: Guam Tipping Point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections