Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 07:18 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what you are saying is counties with the highest population in these states are deciding how those states vote....that is how elections work, you know that right?
I have no problem with this fact for I am a liberal progressive but I do realize it is why we have such dysfunctional politics and so little feeling that we are in this thing called life together in today's America.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The good news is they have been outside Multnomah County. The bad news is they have been traveling at 65-80 mph on I-5 heading for California and hoping to make it down to LA before it gets too late at night. Their idea of Medford or Rpseburg is the McDonalds, Chevron or BP stations at the I-5 exits .
That's not just true of Portland, that's true of the entire Willamette Valley. When I moved north from the Rogue Valley few people I met from anywhere in the Valley ever traveled or knew much about it(likewise plenty in the Rogue Valley don't travel north that often). And few people really know much about Eastern Oregon west of the Cascades.

A lot of people in Oregon don't travel that much--there's people in the Willamette Valley who just go to the Coast or maybe Bend for a week or two for their annual vacation and that's it--and follow that pattern for their entire lives.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Well I don't know what data you go by but from what I have seen, Oregon is in the middle, but you are welcome to think they are in the bottom all you want.
http://www.edweek.org/media/16qc-k-12achievment-c1.pdf

Oregon places 39th.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.aecf.org/m/databook/aecf-...rgoed-2014.pdf

This one ranks education 35th for Oregon. If Oregon reduced class sizes, that would reduce their dropout rate and would greatly improve their education rank.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:19 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Great idea.
How are we going to fund that?
Another tax?

You do realize that Portland already spends 12 to 15 thousand dollars per student per year?

http://www.politifact.com/oregon/sta...000-year-stud/

BTW, 35th out of 50 is still in the bottom half.
VTHokieFan's chart shows Oregon's overall grade is a D.
That's really not that much of an improvement over an F.
All you have to do is show up to get a D.

If my kids had consistently brought home D's for grades, all hell would have broken loose.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:34 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
I have listened to Richardson speak, and I have listened to his points of view for a while. I disagree with him and I am sure many people in Oregon also disagree with him. He could have a Q after his name and I would still vote against him.

I disagree, I don't think he will be "light years ahead of what we have currently" though that statement sounds like you are willing to vote for Richardson just because he is a Republican. All Richardson would do is become a regressive governor that goes against the needs of Oregon.

Oregon Republicans need to pick a better candidate next time.
I am willing to vote for Richardson not because he is a republican, but because I believe he'll do a better job than the inactive boob we have for a governor now.

I also believe that Kitzhaber is currently a very regressive governor, so we couldn't do much worse.
Tell me something. What exactly has Kitzhaber done for "the needs of Oregon"?
What exactly ARE the "needs of Oregon" in your eyes?

Oregon should have voted for the better candidate last time, IMHO.
Instead we got Kitzhaber again, because he had more name recognition, and people had forgotten what a failure he was during his other past terms.

Have you forgotten that the greatest Governor Oregon ever had, Thomas Lawson McCall, was a republican?

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-24-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
http://www.aecf.org/m/databook/aecf-...rgoed-2014.pdf

This one ranks education 35th for Oregon. If Oregon reduced class sizes, that would reduce their dropout rate and would greatly improve their education rank.
Oh, it's so easy isn't it.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Great idea.
Another tax?

You do realize that Portland already spends 12 to 15 thousand dollars per student per year?

Does Portland Public Schools spend $12,000 a year per student? | PolitiFact Oregon

If my kids had consistently brought home D's for grades, all hell would have broken loose.
It's like people say in Southern states, "at least we're not Mississippi."

Old 09-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Great idea.
Another tax?

Does Portland Public Schools spend $12,000 a year per student? | PolitiFact Oregon

Well if the funding is already there, then it needs to be applied to having more teachers to reduce the class sizes to help reduce the dropout rate. If that requires a new tax, then that is what it would require to help improve our schools. It is interesting when people complain about the performance of our schools but when a solution is presented, people don't want to act on it.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I am willing to vote for Richardson not because he is a republican, but because I believe he'll do a better job than the inactive boob we have for a governor now.

I also believe that Kitzhaber is currently a very regressive governor, so we couldn't do much worse.
Tell me something. What exactly has Kitzhaber done for "the needs of Oregon"?
What exactly ARE the "needs of Oregon" in your eyes?

Oregon should have voted for the better candidate last time, IMHO.
Instead we got Kitzhaber again, because he had more name recognition, and people had forgotten what a failure he was during his other past terms.

Have you forgotten that the greatest Governor Oregon ever had, Thomas Lawson McCall, was a republican?
It sounds like you are voting for Richardson because you don't like Kitzhaber, not because you think Richardson would be a good governor. He doesn't even have a platform to stand on outside of generic Republican talking points.

Oh and I have not forgotten that Thomas Lawson McCall was a Republican, I would have voted for McCall, and I would vote for another McCall. If you are trying to tell me that Richardson is another McCall, then that is a laughable lie. Richardson is no McCall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections