Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A perfect example of statistical inference being taken too far. It is impossible to know how a larger electorate would have voted. So I consider that RCP discussion little more than conjecture. I do agree with your observation that Dems should not be taking comfort in the notion that the low turnout excuses their losses. Dems have a real problem motivating their voters to get off their duffs and go to the polls. They are not always going to find an inspirational candidate like Obama. A boring old lady like Clinton may not be enough next time. This is a problem they need to work on. But then, it has always been a problem.
I am 100% convinced that both Obama elections were anomalies. No way, no how do African American's turnout for a white candidate at the rate they turned out for Barack Obama. It simply will not happen. Look at every other Presidential election in the nation's history for your evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Do you mean 270 electoral votes?

Correct.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I am 100% convinced that both Obama elections were anomalies. No way, no how do African American's turnout for a white candidate at the rate they turned out for Barack Obama. It simply will not happen. Look at every other Presidential election in the nation's history for your evidence.

Over 800,000 convicted felons, stripped of their voting rights(and right to own a firearm) and those incarcerated, voted in 2008 alone.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:24 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I don't buy Caleb's story. I am white semi-liberal, and if anything, I am a more motivated to vote democrat. Obama has been fine, and the GOP has been John Birch quality bad. I mean they seem to revel in being anti-science, anti-American, hate-mongering, and relentlessly dishonest shills for the plutocrats and televangelists. I have not seen a single GOP accomplishment in the last 6 years. But I am an individual, so my observations are just an anecedote. I guess I am just saying that even if the white libs are a bit disappointed with Obama (I am not, I know what he has been up against), the GOP has not acted in a way that is even remotely appealing. So, they are not a reasonable option. Given their toxic narrative, their only long term hopes are gerrymandering and vote suppression, or just laziness and despondency on the other side.

Bottomline. The GOP had the energy in this cycle. The Dems were lazy and unfocused. Congrats are in order, but anything beyond that is reading tea leaves.

Truth is, the Dems are like a sleeping grizzly, and the GOP is like a wolverine gnawing on its leg. Eventually, the grizzly is going to wake up, get mad, and have the weasel for breakfast. Probably in 2016, but that will depend upon leadership, which has yet to emerge.
You forgot 1 thing. In 2008 McCain being tied to Bush 43 did hurt him; in 2016 since Obama's rep is now mud, that could hurt the Dems real bad.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:56 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Not the republicans fault the dems were to embarked to vote. IMHO they did not show up. Excuse they did not want to vote dem But could not make themselves vote republican. It is a phenomen that happens with both parties during history
It further shows that people are not buying what the Democrats are trying to sell when there is a low turnout by their party when that party has been proclaiming that they have the best get out the vote machine ever. It show that people just are not responding to the Democrats.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He's a RINO.
Which matters why? It is still another loss for the democrats.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:44 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
It further shows that people are not buying what the Democrats are trying to sell when there is a low turnout by their party when that party has been proclaiming that they have the best get out the vote machine ever. It show that people just are not responding to the Democrats.
The Democrats haven't been able to get anything passed for people to oppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
They indeed do turnout.. just not at the same rate.

If Hilary runs, do you think women turnout will be up or down?

Old 11-28-2014, 05:45 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Obamacare anyone?

Old 11-28-2014, 09:52 AM

[quote=Opin_Yunated;37440360]
Quote:
And the Republicans haven't been able to get anything passed because of the Democrats. Gridlock.

Of course to some (you) that is acceptable since it stops all real progress.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:54 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times
Keep thinking that you'll always win, Repubs.

Every time one party thinks they'll always win, they immediately start losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections