Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Link? I don't know much about his ancestors, but I recall him saying that his grandfather who had polio couldn't do farm work, and thus was the only sibling in his family to go to school. That doesn't sound like much of an aristocracy.

In any case I don't most Americans are interested in these racial subcategories. Look at Pres. Obama--he was descended from elite politcos of Kenya, not from West Africans brought here as slaves, as are most black Americans. Nobody cares about that, though. He still got 95% of the black vote, so your insistence on certain skin tone and certain appearance in a candidate is atypical of US voters.
Bill Clinton has an elite Ivy League grad but Southerns still loved him because of the accent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
With conservatives like me it is about protecting the American worker, putting respect back into our immigration laws, securing our border, the welfare usage that illegal aliens get through fraud and their U.S. born kids and the added stress it puts on our natural and social resources. We have 23 million Americans out of work. We don't need any of them here. We need the jobs they are holding. It never makes sense to reward lawbreakers either. They take way more out of our tax coffers than they put into it.

Not understanding your comment about how all of our ancestors (but not us who were born here) got here via immigration because most of them came here legally not illegally. So there is not comparison.

Rubio, Jeb and even Cruz I don't trust on this issue. They are willing to compromise just to pander for the Hispanic vote. There should be no compromise on this issue based on the above. Enforce the laws on the books and remove all of the incentives for illegal aliens to remain here and to continue to come here.
Cruz is NOT after the illegal vote.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:45 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Cruz is NOT after the illegal vote.
I didn't say anything about the "illegal" vote. However, many politicians are falling all over themselves for the Hispanic vote. WTH, they only make up 10% of the electorate. Not only that but they are willing to thumb their noses at our immigration laws for their vote.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about the "illegal" vote. However, many politicians are falling all over themselves for the Hispanic vote. WTH, they only make up 10% of the electorate. Not only that but they are willing to thumb their noses at our immigration laws for their vote.
I've never really felt like Sen Cruz even cares to identify himself as Hispanic nor cater to Hispanic voters. Rubio, OTOH has always been proud of his Cuban heritage.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:31 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
There isn't an infinite pot of donor money. Some of these potential candidates will drop out before they start.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,602 times
He's an intellectual lightweight and a fraud.

He's running for the VP spot only to end up neither as VP nor as Senator.

I agree less with Ted Cruz than Rubio, but atleast i know deep down Cruz is intellectually strong.

Candidates like Walker and Rubio are silly.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:10 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
Quote:
Please provide some proof that Republicans have been hostile towards Hispanics. The Hispanic vote only makes up about 10% of the electorate. Do the math.
Then why have Republican candidates been fairly tripping over themselves trying to 'court' the Hispanic vote?

Wooing Hispanic Voters at Home, Republicans Turn to Latin America
"The result is a tug of war between congressional Republicans, who are unleashing ever-harsher language and legislation to rein in illegal immigration, and party leaders with their eyes on the White House, who are determined to build bridges to a crucial constituency that has long been neglected."

Republican Defects To Democratic Party, Citing Pressure To Turn Against Hispanics
"Nearly nine months after the Florida Republican National Committee Director of Hispanic Outreach quit the Republican Party over a “culture of intolerance,” another official from the state has defected to the Democratic Party."

Old 01-24-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I've never really felt like Sen Cruz even cares to identify himself as Hispanic nor cater to Hispanic voters. Rubio, OTOH has always been proud of his Cuban heritage.
Doesn't matter. Cruz is for amnesty for illegal aliens and so is Rubio. I posted a link to that fact.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Then why have Republican candidates been fairly tripping over themselves trying to 'court' the Hispanic vote?

Wooing Hispanic Voters at Home, Republicans Turn to Latin America
"The result is a tug of war between congressional Republicans, who are unleashing ever-harsher language and legislation to rein in illegal immigration, and party leaders with their eyes on the White House, who are determined to build bridges to a crucial constituency that has long been neglected."

Republican Defects To Democratic Party, Citing Pressure To Turn Against Hispanics
"Nearly nine months after the Florida Republican National Committee Director of Hispanic Outreach quit the Republican Party over a “culture of intolerance,” another official from the state has defected to the Democratic Party."
This is your response about the claim in here that the GOP is hostile towards Hispanics? You yourself just said they are trying to court their vote.

What's this harsh language and legislation that some of the GOP are pushing to rein in illegal immigration and how does that equate to hostility towards Hispanics? What is this intolerance that you speak of? Are you saying it is being intolerant to oppose illegal immigration?

Old 01-24-2015, 06:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
W 44% Hispanic vote- He won.

Romney 27% Hispanic vote-he lost.

Of course they are courting the Hispanic vote. It is growing in importance every election cycle, while the GOP base, being older than average USA, is not growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections