Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 11:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Uh..... Obama had to have supporters bused in to many events.

Liberty University is not a Libertarian university.
No they aren't, they are religious conservatives. The world's largest Christian university and one started by the evangelstic lightning rod Jerry Falwell.

Quote:
It would be helpful if you understood any of Cruz's positions and didn't do this far left, comic book version of his positions.

To my understanding Sen. Cruz believes the federal government should do those tasks assigned to it by the U.S. Constitution and leave the rest to the states, as was the intent of the Founders and the purpose of the Constitution.
The issue is the founders saw that part of the problem is that the federal government was limited and realized that they need to have powers that can change. Some like Cruz is today were strict constructionalists while others were loose. This is why we have the amendments. The Constitution didn't mention slavery in it (even though you had the 3/5ths compromise) however it wasn't for what, 80 years it wasn't illegal nationwide, it was an issue to be determined by states. Also it wasn't until about 130 years before all Americans citizens of age could vote. I mentioned in another post, there was no executive power to create the offices of cabinets, George Washington did that fairly early on as the President in the Constitution as there are no mentions of EOs but they started under Washington and nobody really questioned either for YEARS. Despite a precedent set by Washington, it wasn't until nearly 170 years that Presidents could be President for long than two terms (except if filling out a less than half of a term.)

The problem with states decisions vs. national decisions is we can see laws created that are unconstitutional. For instance, with gay marriage not being represented in some states you have issues such as homosexual spouses being subject to estate taxes while straights aren't. Homosexuals also face not being able to joint-file taxes and instead file as individuals. What happens if homosexuals have adopted a child yet aren't able to joint-file because they don't have a recognized marriage, who could claim the child on taxes? For these issues you had the issues with the original political parties, the more federal powered Federalists who wanted clear cut laws and the states-rights Democratic-Republicans (as well as some anarchists who were anti-Federalist that weren't Democratic-Republicans.)

Quote:
Sen. Cruz favors a fair, flat and consistent tax code. Liberals like a tax code to be punishment and provide motivations to earn and invest less.
As we talked about on another thread with taxes, the flat tax is the best bet. The problem is any other form of tax is punishments. Regressive taxes are higher effective tax rates on the poor and progressive taxes cause a higher tax rate on the rich. The issue is with the flat tax is because all other forms of taxes (on the state and local level) are typically regressive, the poor gets hosed. For any tax change, it needs to be on a national, a state scale and local scale. One part will make it hurt on all parts.

Now part of the thing I don't understand is that Cruz wants the IRS not just reduced but outright abolished. How would that work unless there is no form of taxation at all for a national level. A flat tax would require some IRS agents to check that you didn't pay too much or too little or the taxes were sent as well. They wouldn't be as out in the open but we'd still need some.

Quote:
He chose Liberty University because five years ago today LU filed a lawsuit over the provisions of Obamacare that they feel violated their religious freedom protected by the 1st Amendment.
And I am sure part of it was to give a very fair base as backdrop. No different than Obama doing the stadiums for his DNC speeches.

Quote:
No Cruz was busy clerking for the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, clerking for a Court of Appeals judge, being an Associate Deputy Attorney General of the U.S., the Director of Policy Planning at the FTC, Solicitor General of Texas and then a partner at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius to be in one of the most corrupt legislatures in the U.S.
I'm not one to disagree with the work history, just his beliefs.

Quote:
David Duke was a Democrat. He became a Republican because there were so few of them in LA that he thought he had a better chance to winning a primary. The Republicans denounced David Duke down the line and went so far as withdrawing their endorsed candidate so the Democrat Johnston could win the election and not have to go to a runoff.
Partially because of the end of the Dixiecrat (a pro-segregation and states' rights conservative southern Democrat) in the early 1970's. The southern Democrats opposed civil rights and in several cases (namely the 1948 and 1968 Presidential elections) saw third party pro-segregation southern Democrats win southern states rather than it going Red or Blue. George Wallace in 1968, while not a Dixiecrat was a pro-segregation and states' rights Democratic Governor of Alabama. To an extent, they exist today but most of the constituents ares now Republican conservative states (starting with Goldwater in 1964.)

Quote:
What are the extremist policies of the tea party movement?
In that they want to rock the boat and rather than graduated change to things such as the national debt, want swift changes. Some of these aren't about cutting the fat of programs but rather into the meat. The IRS changes for instance is extremist. Being against civil rights, that is extremist.

Quote:
The only Kool Aid drinkers I see are the foaming at the mouth yellow dogs who will go to any length to twist the truth, obfuscate and outright lie when they can get away with it.
I'm not a Democrat, I'm an independent but I just don't think Cruz is a good candidate and I'll have to vote against him in primaries.

Last edited by mkpunk; 03-23-2015 at 11:50 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 11:29 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,576,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm not a Democrat, I'm an independent but I just don't think Cruz is a good candidate and I'll have to vote against him in primaries.
Good post, some good facts. I am also Independent, former Republican, and I would never vote for him because I don't trust him to do what's best for this Country instead of what's good for himself, and I believe he would say one thing and do another if that's what it took to get elected.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I just hope the "birther" crowd don't try to raise a stink on this since Mr Cruz is a Canadian but with a US citizen mother. Kinda like George Romney; Mitt's dad, back in 1968. George was a Mexican with US citizen parents tho they were "resident aliens" IN Mexico at the time.
George Romney's parents fled the United States to escape our anti-polygamy laws. There's a difference between a resident alien who is working abroad and someone who sought refuge in a foreign country to avoid prosecution.

I don't care if Ted Cruz was born in Canada. He has spent most of his life in the United States and his mother was an American citizen when he was born.

Obama was actually born in the United States. Still, even if he wasn't, his mother was an American citizen, born in Kansas. So what's the difference? How can the Right Wing say Cruz is eligible but Obama is not?

I don't know if I should call this blatant hypocrisy or outright racism.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,477,534 times
LOL. Your hero practiced for days. Even practiced waving and kissing his wife.

Jon Stewart hammers Ted Cruz’s presidential announcement: Not even Romney needed to rehearse kissing

Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,635,445 times
He is a major drama queen. Loves being in the spotlight. IMAGINE HAVING HIM AS PRESIDENT? Yeah right....

Old 03-24-2015, 03:36 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,891,264 times
Default There were no prompters for Presidnets 30years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Everyone is second guessing the guy. No teleprompter. Speaking from the heart. Hitting every point.
The flow was uncharacteristic of a stiff rehearsed politician.(Dole, McCain, Romney, Hilary)
That's the preacher background coming out. Good for Cruz.

You right about Obama and Clinton very scripted. One has to remember that the number of appeared he makes one would have some mem. of speech.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
LOL. Your hero practiced for days. Even practiced waving and kissing his wife.

Jon Stewart hammers Ted Cruz’s presidential announcement: Not even Romney needed to rehearse kissing
Really? Like anybody cares what Jon Stewart thinks? As though it is impossible for a person, especially one of Ted Cruz' caliber, to speak extemporaneously about something he is passionate about? It's called, able to 'think on ones feet'.

Ted Cruz is an attorney who has argued cases before the Supreme Court. His speaking skills have been well learned. This is a skill also exhibited by Trey Gowdy of South Carolina.

Your criticism is simply sour grapes, because you don't like Ted Cruz' politics.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City View Post
That's the problem, he gave a sermon. I like some of his views, but I don't want a Rev. in the White house, I want a President.

I'll go to church for sermons.
If you think that was a sermon, you have no idea what a sermon is.

His speech was a vision; a vision of our country as our Founders created it, and a vision of hope for future generations (not the phoney "Hope and Change" of Obama rhetoric, which was a ruse).

Old 03-24-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
He is a major drama queen. Loves being in the spotlight. IMAGINE HAVING HIM AS PRESIDENT? Yeah right....
Gee, that sounds more like a description of Obama.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
That's the preacher background coming out. Good for Cruz.

You right about Obama and Clinton very scripted. One has to remember that the number of appeared he makes one would have some mem. of speech.
Obama has no ability at all to speak extemporaneously. When he tries, he makes blunders which show his utter ignorance and stupidity. Even with his scripted teleprompter assisted speeches, he makes a fool of himself, because of his flawed ideology and lack of knowledge about history (e.g. his recent comments about Christianity and the Crusades).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections