Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:30 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Of course, the number of illegals won't ever reach zero. However, if the country gets tough on them making life so difficult, the vast majority will leave on their own accord. Would you stay someplace if you couldn't find work or access unemployment benefits or any welfare programs?
Illegal immigrants can collect unemployment benefits?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:55 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Illegal immigrants can collect unemployment benefits?
Of course they can't collect unemployment benefits (although in CA and the lib state you live in, who knows?).

Do I really have to explain it to you? Don't you understand analogies? Well...apparently you don't know what an analogy is. Let me explain. I was asking a rhetorical question. Would you --- personally --- stay someplace if you couldn't find work or collect unemployment benefits or access any welfare programs?

Again, I don't know what your purpose was in starting such an irrelevant thread. Nor do I know what it has to do with illegal immigration. How about answering these questions instead of attempting to deflect with a question about illegals collecting unemployment benefits?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,145,709 times
Quote:
Donald Trump's mother came from Scotland. His father's parents were from Germany.

Trump's Parents and Grandparents

His mother's family came to the US from Scotland for economic benefit.

Given the harsh economic realities of life in such isolated communities of subsistence farming and fishing, it is little wonder that numerous Lewismen (and women) emigrated as the land simply could not sustain the growing population. Clearly there was a better life for them in the new world.

https://www.scottishroots.com/people/donald.php
Two of Donald's wives are also immigrants. So what? They all came here legally.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Of course they can't collect unemployment benefits (although in CA and the lib state you live in, who knows?).

Do I really have to explain it to you? Don't you understand analogies? Well...apparently you don't know what an analogy is. Let me explain. I was asking a rhetorical question. Would you --- personally --- stay someplace if you couldn't find work or collect unemployment benefits or access any welfare programs?

Again, I don't know what your purpose was in starting such an irrelevant thread. Nor do I know what it has to do with illegal immigration. How about answering these questions instead of attempting to deflect with a question about illegals collecting unemployment benefits?
Your implication is that illegal immigrants come here for all these free benefits and the rhetorical question implies exactly that. Except they can't. That is all.

Look, this thread is far angrier than I can deal with. If the mods want to close it, that's fine by me. POC is less angry than this particular forum. I found it interesting that Trump's family is so very new to the U.S. Very new. Same with many other GOP candidates.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:08 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Donald Trump's mother came from Scotland. His father's parents were from Germany.

Given the harsh economic realities of life in such isolated communities of subsistence farming and fishing, it is little wonder that numerous Lewismen (and women) emigrated as the land simply could not sustain the growing population. Clearly there was a better life for them in the new world.

I never heard him being against legal immigration and most Americans are not natives...

Old 08-18-2015, 05:11 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:

So what? I would imagine that they came here legally. No one is against immigration- just illegal immigration.

No nation has survived by sacrificing its sovereignty to uncontrolled borders.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I never heard him being against legal immigration and most Americans are not natives...
No, they aren't. In fact, it used to be very very easy to immigrate to the United States, you just showed up. And most people were poor farmers. And people that come here are not getting all these benefits. It seems something else is going on here.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:17 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,017 times
Quote:
Yep. But considering how recent Trump's family is, where do you draw the line? Cruz, Rubio, Jindal, where do you draw the line? And while the GOP is saying these poor people need to go home and find jobs there, so should Trump's mother and her family.
If their 'illegals' then they would be included. All of our ancestors were immigrants and came through the ports legally having to jump threw hoops to stay. I guess many of you were never taught about port of entry and never heard of Ellis Island. Learn something new by finding out the meaning of legally and illegally. Should clear some things up for you and then youll get it. This is an example of whats wrong in this country. Ignorance and not letting facts get in the way.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:33 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Your implication is that illegal immigrants come here for all these free benefits and the rhetorical question implies exactly that. Except they can't. That is all.

Look, this thread is far angrier than I can deal with. If the mods want to close it, that's fine by me. POC is less angry than this particular forum. I found it interesting that Trump's family is so very new to the U.S. Very new. Same with many other GOP candidates.
Yes, they do come here for "all these benefits". You seriously didn't know this? They most certainly can access welfare programs. All it takes is birthing an anchor baby.

Trump's family is not "very new" if his grandparents came here. "Very new" is immigrants who recently arrived to this country.

I find it very odd that you would consider Trump's family "very new".

And, besides, why is it even relevant as to how recent the candidates' ancestors arrived here?

Did you start a thread about how Obama's father was from Kenya and never became a US citizen? Somehow I doubt it.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:34 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Of course, the number of illegals won't ever reach zero. However, if the country gets tough on them making life so difficult, the vast majority will leave on their own accord. Would you stay someplace if you couldn't find work or access unemployment benefits or any welfare programs?
All that would be left would be those selling illegal drugs and weapons so it would be easier to isolate that problem.

Quote:

Well, then take a break and go study some U S History about how families came here legally when there was no welfare programs to support them.

Quote:
No, they aren't. In fact, it used to be very very easy to immigrate to the United States, you just showed up. And most people were poor farmers. And people that come here are not getting all these benefits. It seems something else is going on here.
Things change for good reason. Again, do some reading, lots of info on the web. Not everyone that came were farmers either, many different types of trades were represented.

People that come here aren't getting benefits? Ah, you're new here right? The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013) and How Much Does Illegal Immigration Cost You? - AMAC, Inc. AMAC, Inc. and https://www.numbersusa.com/problems/taxpayer-burden and ‘Anchor Baby’ Outrage: Americans Pay BILLIONS for Illegal Alien Births (Video) | Top Right News and that should give you a general idea about "all these benefits". Ending birthright citizenship will zap a good portion of the problem and expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.