Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:33 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I always find this "all of our ancestors came legally" argument interesting.
There was a time when thousands of people poured off of ships on a daily basis. They didn't all come through Ellis Island and they weren't all documented.
Many paid for passage just like people pay "coyotes" today and they disappeared into the tenements and ethnic ghettos just like is done now.

This ideal of 100% lawful immigration never existed in this or any other country.
No, we don't need to change the constitution. We only need to deport the parents and give them an option of taking their child, or leaving the child with child protective services. The overwhelming majority will take their child with them.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:34 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,769 times
Nothing brings the impotent narcissist to orgasm faster than detecting hypocristy in the elites.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:37 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I always find this "all of our ancestors came legally" argument interesting.
There was a time when thousands of people poured off of ships on a daily basis. They didn't all come through Ellis Island and they weren't all documented.
Many paid for passage just like people pay "coyotes" today and they disappeared into the tenements and ethnic ghettos just like is done now.

This ideal of 100% lawful immigration never existed in this or any other country.
Yep. We are all the product of luck of birth. If I were born in a country where I was starving, dodging bullets and had no hope, I can't say I wouldn't do what it took to change that. I don't know that Mexico is a perfect example but when I saw all the Syrians pouring into Europe, it is a disaster and I don't know that I wouldn't be desperate enough to do it as a matter of pure survival.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
The difference is that Trump's mother and grandparents were not Hispanic. In the modern US, opposition to immigration (be it legal or illegal) is used as a cover for being anti-Hispanic.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yep. We are all the product of luck of birth. If I were born in a country where I was starving, dodging bullets and had no hope, I can't say I wouldn't do what it took to change that. I don't know that Mexico is a perfect example but when I saw all the Syrians pouring into Europe, it is a disaster and I don't know that I wouldn't be desperate enough to do it as a matter of pure survival.
I have a feeling you'd think twice if you KNEW you could be cuffed and stuffed just by being in a country illegally.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, we don't need to change the constitution. We only need to deport the parents and give them an option of taking their child, or leaving the child with child protective services. The overwhelming majority will take their child with them.
How are you going to pay for this massive deportation? Eleven million people, which is more than the population of many states. Where are you going to drop them off? The Mexican border? 30+% are from other countries, are you going to fly them all back? This is estimated to cost $200T or more. As many as 40% are due to overstaying their visa. How are you going to track all those people down to deport them?

40% of Illegal Immigrants Overstayed Visas - Breitbart

Old 08-19-2015, 07:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
NO MORE AMNESTIES:

NO MORE codifying ILLEGAL acts

you want to come to America...we welcome you with open arms...but do it legally

apply....get a sponsor....have a job waiting... learn the language.... take your oath of citizenship

when you move to a different country you LEARN the ways of the new country

no-one is saying you cant love your own culture at home

ever heard of the term "when in rome"

it USED to be a requirement that you learn English as part of the immigration process.....why not still

when my maternal Great Grand father came here in the late 1890's from the kingdom of Austria, he could speak, read and write 7 different languages(to include the austrain language(now defunked) ..........none of them english..the first thing he did was learn the language..and after that he would say "I am an americans, I speak american"...my Great grand mother on the other hand signed her name with an x

if I move to mexico.. I would learn the language and speak mexican (a variant of spanish)..I certainly would not refuse to learn the language of my new adopted country.... why cant people figure this out????

they need to close the borders back to the way it USED to be

you want to come to america and be a citizen:
1. you MUST be sponsered
2. you MUST have a job waiting, if you are within 'working age'
3. you MUST assimulate to your new country...(ie be able to read,write and speak the language)
4. you MUSt make your alegence to the new country, not you old country

Old 08-19-2015, 07:45 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
There are differences between legal and illegal immigrants. Mr. Trump's family came here legally, and Mr. Trump was not an anchor baby, so what seems to be the big deal or problem?

Our policies will not succeed until our political leaders recognize that immigration must be selective and limited to protect the economic, social and security interests of the American people, and that our laws must be humanely, but firmly, enforced.

My grandparents, parents, siblings and I were ALL born in the United States. Even though my grandparents made their fortune overseas, they had to pay American taxes. Many illegals sent their money back home, how is that helping American economy?

Industries that exploit illegal labor for profit are given a pass, while party-aligned ethnic lobbies are rewarded with amnesty after opposing all effective methods of immigration enforcement.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
NO MORE AMNESTIES:

NO MORE codifying ILLEGAL acts

it USED to be a requirement that you learn English as part of the immigration process....why not still
Nope. I'm not saying that's not a good goal, but we should be honest. If you read the old census' you will see many/most did not learn English. The census would say language spoken and it would say German, etc. even in places like Texas.

And Ronald Reagan issued amnesty.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:53 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The difference is that Trump's mother and grandparents were not Hispanic. In the modern US, opposition to immigration (be it legal or illegal) is used as a cover for being anti-Hispanic.

A GREAT example. I never would have imagined.

It isn't REALLY about border security or anything else.

It is just a cover for being anti-Hispanic.

AWESOME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections