Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:04 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Don't forget that he said he has no vested interest in this issue.
I am not seeing the significance to your statement. If he has no vested interest then he cannot comment?

What then, what is YOUR vested interest and how does this bias your opinion......just so we know how to read your comments properly.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:04 PM

62,980 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
No, I have not picked apart the statistics thrown out by all the participants in the debate because most statistics in this area cannot be substantiated in any detail on either side. They are estimates and supposition and as such are useful only as general guideposts.

Using your numbers.......11 million ILLEGAL immigrants. Not 11 million immigrants, right?

30% from the world other than latin america. no mention of their port of entry though. a significant number of these likely did travel through Mexico and have thus been grouped into the Mexican Immigrant discussion in a general sense. I am not sure how the 40% overstaying visas affects the numbers. Does this reduce the percentage of non hispanics in the ILLEGAL population or is it irrelevant?

In any case, this leaves 70% of the illegal problem as being Mexican and Latin American in ethnicity by your numbers layout description.

Just as an aside, I saw something on one of the federal immigration web sites breaking down the immigration country of origins. I cannot recall the exact site or I would cite it. On that site it stated that the breakout of origins as being 92% of immigration to the US as coming through the Mexico border station, 6% through the Canadian border and the rest was broken out by country and did not specify the entry point so I suspect that is direct immigration at international airports or water ports of entry. Note this is LEGAL immigration and would include that 40% of visitors overstaying visas, but would not include those crossing the Canadian and Mexican borders surreptitiously. That would indicate that your 70% numbers would mean that Mexican and Latin American visitors overstaying their visa would be much lower than the 40% rate or else the 70% would be much higher. That speaks to the morality and law abiding nature of the LEGAL immigrants from the south compared to those from other countries, and indirectly supports that the ILLEGALS from the south are a MUCH greater portion of immigration than the LEGAL immigrants.

Do you want to focus your energy on the minority of the problem or the majority? 70% is significantly above the 50% midpoint. Should we start working on fixing the 3.3 million lawbreakers or the 7.7 million lawbreakers? Does it really matter which we talk about if the same solution applies to both? Because we use the biggest portion of the problem to illustrate the extent, does that really mean we are going to go out of the way to exempt those we did not specifically mention?

IF we decide to enforce existing law and deport any one we find breaking immigration law, do you really think there is an exception in the existing law for Europeans vs Asians vs Latin Americans? No, there is not, so anyone found overstaying their visa would be deported regardless of their country of origin whether we devote equal time to listing every possible ethnicity or country of origin possible in our debate rhetoric or not.
Excellent post. Thank you.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Excellent post. Thank you.
Thank you. Dont forget to rep appropriately.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:13 PM

62,980 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I am not seeing the significance to your statement. If he has no vested interest then he cannot comment?

What then, what is YOUR vested interest and how does this bias your opinion......just so we know how to read your comments properly.
No, that is not what I meant. For someone who claims to have no vested interest in this issue he appears to be defending illegal aliens post after post in here.

My vested interest is about my fellow Americans and our laws.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:05 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yep. But considering how recent Trump's family is, where do you draw the line? Cruz, Rubio, Jindal, where do you draw the line? And while the GOP is saying these poor people need to go home and find jobs there, so should Trump's mother and her family.
So, are you saying Trumps family came here illegally?

Old 09-02-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This ideal of 100% lawful immigration never existed in this or any other country.
Nobody ever said it did.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, are you saying Trumps family came here illegally?
You resurrected a thread from weeks ago to ask that? Really? By the way, Trump's wife is also an immigrant, he's surrounded by them. I don't care, he's likely the GOP candidate and they can have him.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You resurrected a thread from weeks ago to ask that? Really? By the way, Trump's wife is also an immigrant, he's surrounded by them. I don't care, he's likely the GOP candidate and they can have him.
I'll take that as a "Yes, you think Trump's family is illegal". Why do you dislike legal immigrants?

Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,971 times
Quote:
Yep. But considering how recent Trump's family is, where do you draw the line? Cruz, Rubio, Jindal, where do you draw the line? And while the GOP is saying these poor people need to go home and find jobs there, so should Trump's mother and her family.
Perhaps his family came to the US LEGALLY as did millions of other immigrants (including your family members) and had to pass through Ellis Island and didn't jump borders? That they were documented and were not entitled to ANY government benefits?

Think before you speak. Clearly you need to learn about the history of immigrants that came to the US.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Perhaps his family came to the US LEGALLY as did millions of other immigrants (including your family members) and had to pass through Ellis Island and didn't jump borders? That they were documented and were not entitled to ANY government benefits?

Think before you speak. Clearly you need to learn about the history of immigrants that came to the US.
This thread has been discussed at length. The previous poster had to go back to the middle of August to resurrect this zombie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections