Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 06:22 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,608,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Huckabee isn't exactly petite.
I was kind of surprised when I saw that at the debate too. He lost a lot of weight before running (for the presidency) in 2008, so maybe he's just gaining it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No he is too fat. There I said it.
I thought Christie got a gastric bypass surgery. If he did, it doesn't seem to be working for him.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:53 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,441,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No he is too fat. There I said it.
Fat isn't a bad thing if you have "presence."

King Henry VIII is never portrayed by thin guys.

Consider Raymond Burr, who -- if not fat -- was certainly big.

If Christie is too fat, then Obama is too skinny.

His ears are wider than the rest of his head. They look like cup handles.

Carly Fiorina -- she looks anorexic.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:15 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,441,601 times
Walker did the principled thing and dropped out because he ran out of money and didn't want to set a bad example by going into debt (his whole thing, I guess, is not being in debt.)

But he should have kept his name on the ballot and kept participating in the debates. Same with Rick Perry. Their exits from the stage combined with silly attacks on Trump made them look like sore losers. And yet, they themselves chose to lose.

Thankfully, the Republicans have a deep bench. Even the kiddie table is better than anything the Democrats can offer. Jindal, Petaki, Graham and Santorum -- I would be happy with any of them.

Then there is the main stage: Christie has a lot of potential. He is a fighter and has proved it in New Jersey. He does have charisma -- which so many lack.

So who should stay and who should go?

Rubio is a big fake. He always sounds scripted and says the same things in exactly the same way. He comes off as a tool. His being young and cute and his being a Latino (which the Republican Party wants) can only take him so far, considering his past support for amnesty. Yes, he does well in debates, but that's only because he gets softball questions from the liberal media who -- surprise, surprise -- just love him.

They also love "amnesty" Bush, whose lack of charisma and lack of appeal to the Republican base ensure that he would lose to the Democrat nominee because so many Republican voters would simply stay home and not vote.

Graham needs to go because of his amnesty advocacy, and Perry needs to stay out for the same reason.

Fiorina is anorexic, did a lousy job at HP, and can only advance her cause by taking pot shots at Trump.

Ben Carson is great, but does he have staying power? I doubt it -- he's too soft-spoken.

I like Huckabee, Santorum, Cruz, Walker (if he'd get back in), and Jindal -- all solid conservatives and unapologetic Christians.

The liberal media trashes them as the equivalent of Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church, so they have an uphill battle.

But I would be fine with any of them, and all the hysterics that gays and women get into over them is nothing but nonsense.

Kasich. The liberals love him. Enough said.

Rand Paul? He's defined his campaign by attacking Trump. Hasn't worked. He's also a secret amnesty supporter. He did nothing to help Ted Cruz and Jeff Sessions stop Rubio's amnesty bill in the Senate.

That leaves Trump. I'm all for him if he can win.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:16 AM

325 posts, read 255,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Walker did the principled thing and dropped out because he ran out of money and didn't want to set a bad example by going into debt (his whole thing, I guess, is not being in debt.)

But he should have kept his name on the ballot and kept participating in the debates. Same with Rick Perry. Their exits from the stage combined with silly attacks on Trump made them look like sore losers. And yet, they themselves chose to lose.

Thankfully, the Republicans have a deep bench. Even the kiddie table is better than anything the Democrats can offer. Jindal, Petaki, Graham and Santorum -- I would be happy with any of them.

Then there is the main stage: Christie has a lot of potential. He is a fighter and has proved it in New Jersey. He does have charisma -- which so many lack.

So who should stay and who should go?

Rubio is a big fake. He always sounds scripted and says the same things in exactly the same way. He comes off as a tool. His being young and cute and his being a Latino (which the Republican Party wants) can only take him so far, considering his past support for amnesty. Yes, he does well in debates, but that's only because he gets softball questions from the liberal media who -- surprise, surprise -- just love him.

They also love "amnesty" Bush, whose lack of charisma and lack of appeal to the Republican base ensure that he would lose to the Democrat nominee because so many Republican voters would simply stay home and not vote.

Graham needs to go because of his amnesty advocacy, and Perry needs to stay out for the same reason.

Fiorina is anorexic, did a lousy job at HP, and can only advance her cause by taking pot shots at Trump.

Ben Carson is great, but does he have staying power? I doubt it -- he's too soft-spoken.

I like Huckabee, Santorum, Cruz, Walker (if he'd get back in), and Jindal -- all solid conservatives and unapologetic Christians.

The liberal media trashes them as the equivalent of Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church, so they have an uphill battle.

But I would be fine with any of them, and all the hysterics that gays and women get into over them is nothing but nonsense.

Kasich. The liberals love him. Enough said.

Rand Paul? He's defined his campaign by attacking Trump. Hasn't worked. He's also a secret amnesty supporter. He did nothing to help Ted Cruz and Jeff Sessions stop Rubio's amnesty bill in the Senate.

That leaves Trump. I'm all for him if he can win.
Whatever unfolds, I can guarantee you will be disappointed come mid-November, 2016.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Who will be voted off the island in the next episode of Republican Candidate Survivor?

Let's look at the possibilities.

Jim Gilmore
Aside from wandering around New Hampshire, he really doesn't have much of a campaign. It's hard to run short of funds when your entire operation consists of nothing more than driving around a small state.

George Pataki
He's just running to puff up his law practice. Why should he drop out?

Lindsey Graham
Like the others above, Graham isn't running for President in order to be President - he's just fishing for a SecDef appointment. All he really needs is an appearance every Sunday morning on the political shows, and no one - with the possible exception of John McCain - is featured more often.

Chris Christie
Donald Trump has cornered the angry loudmouthed bully market, freezing Christie out. Toss in Bridegate and the fact that Christie is simply not conservative enough and he's a hopeless candidate. On the other hand, he probably doesn't have much of a political future, so what's the downside of staying in?

Rick Santorum
Huckabee is getting all the scolding moralist attention, leaving Santorum with no niche of his own. But as with Christie, why not? It's not like he's tarnishing a political brand, since he has no chance of ever holding statewide office again.

Bobby Jindal
Jindal is a classic example of a candidate who looks good on paper, but once he hits the trail one realizes he hasn't the foggiest idea how to run for President (see also: Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson). Jindal's young and has a political future. He would probably be well advised to drop out and end the embarrassment sooner than later.

The only other candidate I'd even mention is Rand Paul - his faux-libertarian shtick has gone precisely nowhere, and he probably won't even make it to Super Tuesday. But for the boost from the cult-like following of his father, he'd just be some anonymous eye doctor. But he's still aways from having to throw in the towel.

So my answer is Jindal.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:42 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Fat isn't a bad thing if you have "presence."

King Henry VIII is never portrayed by thin guys.

Consider Raymond Burr, who -- if not fat -- was certainly big.

If Christie is too fat, then Obama is too skinny.

His ears are wider than the rest of his head. They look like cup handles.

Carly Fiorina -- she looks anorexic.
They have a suit of armor in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC that belonged to Henry VIII late in his life. He was short and proportioned like a wine barrel.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,608,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Who will be voted off the island in the next episode of Republican Candidate Survivor?

Let's look at the possibilities.

Jim Gilmore
Aside from wandering around New Hampshire, he really doesn't have much of a campaign. It's hard to run short of funds when your entire operation consists of nothing more than driving around a small state.

George Pataki
He's just running to puff up his law practice. Why should he drop out?

Lindsey Graham
Like the others above, Graham isn't running for President in order to be President - he's just fishing for a SecDef appointment. All he really needs is an appearance every Sunday morning on the political shows, and no one - with the possible exception of John McCain - is featured more often.

Chris Christie
Donald Trump has cornered the angry loudmouthed bully market, freezing Christie out. Toss in Bridegate and the fact that Christie is simply not conservative enough and he's a hopeless candidate. On the other hand, he probably doesn't have much of a political future, so what's the downside of staying in?

Rick Santorum
Huckabee is getting all the scolding moralist attention, leaving Santorum with no niche of his own. But as with Christie, why not? It's not like he's tarnishing a political brand, since he has no chance of ever holding statewide office again.

Bobby Jindal
Jindal is a classic example of a candidate who looks good on paper, but once he hits the trail one realizes he hasn't the foggiest idea how to run for President (see also: Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson). Jindal's young and has a political future. He would probably be well advised to drop out and end the embarrassment sooner than later.

The only other candidate I'd even mention is Rand Paul - his faux-libertarian shtick has gone precisely nowhere, and he probably won't even make it to Super Tuesday. But for the boost from the cult-like following of his father, he'd just be some anonymous eye doctor. But he's still aways from having to throw in the towel.

So my answer is Jindal.
I'm guessing Santorum. His campaign is eerily similar to Rick Perry's failed 2016 campaign.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:43 PM

20,064 posts, read 20,877,739 times
I love how they use the word "suspend" when they drop out.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:31 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I love how they use the word "suspend" when they drop out.
It's a distinction that allows them to give it up but keep their campaign contribution committees and any delegates they may have won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections