Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,997,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Yes, all of my white friends in New England hate themselves! LOL!!!

I recently looked at a map that showed how many people in New England own guns. HINT: it is way more than you seem to think (or i thought.) Obviously, they just care about other things too.

I said white working class voters, not ex-hippies who run order online Granola companies and live in Vermont.

The "rural cottage for retirement" types are not the same as actual farmers and laborers in the countryside.

Quote:
I love that map that pretty much shows how much higher education correlates with voting Democratic. It took me a second to realize that "the other blue patch" is the Albuquerque, NM area. They have more people with college degrees vs any other place in the entire country!
I have no idea what this has to do with anything.

Quote:
I think that map above also shows the "conspiracy fallacy" in thinking that "the poor vote Democratic to get more entitlements." None of those blue places are "poor" but guess what?? THE POOR DON'T VOTE!!

When did I ever say that?

Quote:
The reality of the situation is that as "rednecks," along with everyone else in the USA, are having less kids. THEY are the ones who will need to be "replaced" when they die off. I would not be surprised if more immigrants are coming each year than how many babies "rednecks are having.
That is actually false: Study: Conservative baby boom will shift nation further right | Washington Examiner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
White non-college (AKA blue collar) voters are falling at a rate of 3 to 4% with every POTUS cycle. 2012 was the first POTUS election where the white college voter percentage of total voters equaled those cast by blue collar whites. (36% each). In 2016 the white college vote will surpass the white non-college vote for the first time. All of the minority groups and white college voters are gaining share of the electorate with each POTUS election, with all of that gain coming at the expense of white non-college voters.

Mapping the 2016 Electorate: Demographics Don't Guarantee a Democratic White House

The balance of power in POTUS races lies in the swing states, and the white non-college vote is falling in every one of them.

Absolutely completely untrue. The "changing demographics" fallacy has been exposed time and time again.

For example: Texas gets less and less white every year...but becomes more and more Republican every year too: Immigration isn’t turning Texas blue as quickly as you might expect — as explained with maps - The Washington Post

And again, the point of the OP was this: at least the GOP is trying to fix this issue. The Democrats have completely written off the white, rural vote. Who looks like they are in worse shape, the people who have given up or the ones who are actually doing something about their problem demographic?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,282,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
That is a fluff piece article, having conservative parents doesn't mean the children will grow up to be conservative voters. Both of my parents are conservative and my sister and I are both liberal voters. Heck, I am sure there are liberal parents out there who have children who grew up to be conservative voters.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:27 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,202,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So how exactly does the electoral college benefit the Republicans in 2016? I don't see them making it to 270.
Eventually the Republican Party will be so small, we'll be able to drown it in a bathtub.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,475,447 times
Bernie Sanders went to speak at Liberty University, which I'm sure accepts quite a few kids from white redneck areas.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Eventually the Republican Party will be so small, we'll be able to drown it in a bathtub.

Too bad the facts don't say anything of the sort:

Analysis: Republican Party Stronger Now Than It's Been Since 1928

As I said, all the GOP has to do is consistently get maybe 10% of the black vote and 20% of the Hispanic vote, all of which have happened in the last fifteen years, and they will be in power for the foreseeable future. The Democrats would have to reverse decades of ignoring the white, rural working class to be competitive.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:31 PM

11,986 posts, read 5,323,175 times
Quote:
Absolutely completely untrue. The "changing demographics" fallacy has been exposed time and time again.

For example: Texas gets less and less white every year...but becomes more and more Republican every year too: Immigration isn’t turning Texas blue as quickly as you might expect — as explained with maps - The Washington Post

And again, the point of the OP was this: at least the GOP is trying to fix this issue. The Democrats have completely written off the white, rural vote. Who looks like they are in worse shape, the people who have given up or the ones who are actually doing something about their problem demographic?
What's untrue? The white non-college vote is shrinking by 3 to 4% every four year POTUS cycle while college whites and the minority groups are filling the void. That's been going on for over 20 years and will continue because the white non-college voters are disproportionately older. It doesn't necessarily mean that that change will favor the Democrats, but it does mean that the GOP has to do better with either white college voters or minority voters or both over the course of time.

As far as Texas is concerned, Texas votes as a southern state, with relatively little difference between white college and non-college voters (as compared to the difference nationally which was about 6% in 2012) and with the total white vote over 70% Republican. The problem long term is that even in Texas, white voters are disproportionately older voters. The majority of elementary school kids in states like Arizona, Georgia and Texas are minority and they represent the future. Even in those states, as the percentage of white voters in the electorate shrinks, eventually the GOP will have to increase their percentage of white voters, as the white total of total votes cast shrinks or improve their standing with minorities.

The GOP needs to start attracting minority voters, or hope that whites in The North vote like whites in the South. In 2012, Romney received 59% of the white vote. In the old Confederacy, the lowest total he received was 2% over the national average at 61%. The national average of white support for the GOP is inflated by large margins in the Deep South and Appalachia. The white vote in 2012 varied from 89% Republican in Mississippi and 84% Republican in Alabama and Louisiana to 33% in Vermont and 27% in Hawaii.

As far as "fixing the problem", the problem for Democrats has been blue-collar white voters predominantly in the very red states of the Deep South, the Mountain West and Appalachia. That's not fixable, but it's also not a demographic that is growing. If white voters in Ohio, Michigan and Minnesota start voting like whites in Mississippi, then the Democrats have a real problem, but so far there is little to no evidence of that happening.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 09-24-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 04:48 AM

6,414 posts, read 6,317,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
[/b]No, I don't think the liberals hate those people, though I must admit that many liberals probably look down at the "rednecks" (in your words) when they utter vile things or do really dumb things. You know what I am talking about. One recent example: Kim Davis.
Here is the truth, in our two party system, the parties are basically diametrically opposed on absolutely everything. Do they agree on anything? Nope. It's because many issues are simply mutually exclusive. For example, how can Democrats take up a cause for any anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-immigration, anti-gun control, and anti-equal rights issues, all of which are of great importance to many of the rural whites, when doing so would be 100% contrary to DNC's 50-year platform?

Reverse is true for Republicans changing their positions on fundamental issues to bring blacks and Hispanics into their tent (e.g., affirmative action, social safety net, civil rights, immigration reform, abortion, etc.) - not gonna happen despite the party's lip service. What have they actually done to get their support?

Ummm, Colorado and Nevada are widely recognized as swing states, and AL, KY and AL are solid red states. That's like saying "Dems will win Colorado, Nevada and Ohio before you ever see a Republican win New York, Massachusetts and Illinois."

I don't think Mass will ever vote for a Republican anything in the next decade or 2 to be honest. Obama kicked Romey's arse in 2012 and was their GOVERNOR!! I didn't hear Obama's camp talk up what a shiitty job he did when there and they should have. I was there when he was governor. The only semi good thing he did was set up "Romney Care." The problem with that? Well there was no single payer option and practically everyone from his team/cabinet was segwaying to their new careers in "health care management."

Soooo...... all he did was shift the cash which was before being taken by poor people by the state, to now be taken by managed care insurance companies BEFORE services ARE eventually paid for by the state anyways!

The way he cut costs in MA was basically by taking hundreds (or thousands) of jobs from human services.

Romney = Fiorina

"Obama and Biden won Massachusetts with 60.7% of the popular vote to Romney's and Ryan's 37.5%, thus winning the state's 11 electoral votes, despite the fact that it is Romney's home state and he was Governor of the state from 2003 to 2007. Massachusetts has not voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 1984."

Old 09-25-2015, 04:58 AM

6,414 posts, read 6,317,635 times
Quote:
I said white working class voters, not ex-hippies who run order online Granola companies and live in Vermont.

The "rural cottage for retirement" types are not the same as actual farmers and laborers in the countryside.

I have no idea what this has to do with anything.

When did I ever say that?

That is actually false: Study: Conservative baby boom will shift nation further right | Washington Examiner

1. No, that is actually false. They are no more "rural cottage types" in Vermont than there are in middle America. People don't "retire to Vermont." They are "white working class voters" in most of Vermont, NH and Maine.

2. I think it is interesting. You don't have to. But my underlying point was "as more people earn college degrees, we might see an even bigger shift towards liberal voting."

3. You didn't. I did.

4. As UrbanLife pointed out, not everyone votes the way their family does. I certainly don't. It's kinda like religion. Not everyone is the same religion that their family was "because they are supposed to be." I'm certainly not.

And just because their parents were gushing for "King Reagan," doesn't mean their kids will be so dumb. We learn from mistakes.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:21 AM

30,770 posts, read 19,421,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
No one is talking about the Republicans' trouble with winning national elections due to their crippling dependence on a shrinking base of white, rural voters.

FIFY.
No people talk about that all of the time. The Dems are the party of racism and had many years of racist policies favoring whites, now that the votes favor policies racist against whites, that's the direction they have gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections