Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Why are rural voters ignored?

As of 2010, 80.7% of the population of the United States lived in urban and suburban areas; less than 1 in 5 (19.3%) lived in rural areas. The "urban population" is broken into 2 categories; "urban areas" of populations of 50,000 or more (486 urban areas accounting for 71.2% of the nation's population and smaller "urban clusters" of 2,500 to 50,000 (3,087 clusters accounting for another 9.5%).

Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks. He answered by saying, "that's where the money is."
Politicians concentrate on urban areas, because that's where the voters are.

U.S. Urban Population Is Up ... But What Does 'Urban' Really Mean? - CityLab
Yep, because it's not like a rural state has the same numbers of Senators as a urban one...oh...wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You actually think 78% of Americans in voting age actually vote? I wish the numbers were that high throughout the state.
No, I was talking about the population of white voters.

Quote:
Actually as this country gets more diverse, the white conservative market continues to shrink. But you can continue why Republicans keep losing the presidential election in the years to come because you don't want to admit this truth to yourself.

I admit the truth: conservativism as we know it will die out. And the GOP? Well, for it to survive it will require a new generation of Republicans with a different set of values to take over, and it isn't like that will ever happen...or...unless....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/us...sues.html?_r=0

By the time America gets 50% white, the GOP will be the bigger version of the Libertarian Party. And they will therefore be able to win minorities, and still keep the majority of the white vote, which spells doom for the Democrats.

I would love to see an openly gay, black Republican who smokes pot running for office. Half of the Democrats arguments against them would be dead without a single issue stated.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

I admit the truth: conservativism as we know it will die out. And the GOP? Well, for it to survive it will require a new generation of Republicans with a different set of values to take over, and it isn't like that will ever happen...or...unless....

By the time America gets 50% white, the GOP will be the bigger version of the Libertarian Party. And they will therefore be able to win minorities, and still keep the majority of the white vote, which spells doom for the Democrats.

I would love to see an openly gay, black Republican who smokes pot running for office. Half of the Democrats arguments against them would be dead without a single issue stated.
Maybe, but you are talking no sooner than maybe 2024 before seeing something like that happening. Also, what does a politician's sexual orientation, race, or smoking pot has to do with anything? It all depends on what their platform is, just being those things doesn't mean the Democrat voters will swoon for the candidate, nor does it mean right wingers, especially the far right wingers, would support a candidate like that.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:13 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Yep, because it's not like a rural state has the same numbers of Senators as a urban one...oh...wait...
However 438 of 538 electoral votes are split on POPULATION. Whoop de doo..rural states usually get 3 of 538 electoral votes. YAWN. Show me 55 in one state.Or even 20 plus!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:11 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

I have more of a problem with the attitude of superiority that many urban people seem to have, than a problem with political attitudes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed about the "urban" thing.
Same here, and you can find plenty of their stupidity posted on this site. I live in a rural SW Ohio town that has been visited by George W. Bush, John McCain and Mitt Romney.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
However 438 of 538 electoral votes are split on POPULATION. Whoop de doo..rural states usually get 3 of 538 electoral votes. YAWN. Show me 55 in one state.Or even 20 plus!

In case you skipped elementary school civics: each state gets two senators, no matter how big, or how small. So a bunch of rural states with ten million people living in each of them get the same amount of Senators as California with ten million people in one city. Hence, it is impossible for the Democrats to win the Senate without getting some piece of the rural vote.

Why is basic math so hard for some to understand?

Old 09-30-2015, 02:11 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:

Unfortunately I think we still have another decade or so of the GOP in it's existing form with it's out of date views regarding social issues, minorities, etc. Remember, the GOP is currently largely confined to the Deep South and the Midwest in states where upwards of 70% of voters are Republicans or lean Republican ... it's like being in an echo chamber. It's going to take a few more thumpings at the hands of Democrats and possibly the loss of the Senate and the House before they get the hint.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:22 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,425,009 times
@victorianpunk - could you please provide your definition of what constitutes a rural state?

Old 09-30-2015, 02:23 PM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Democrats have had problems with the white vote for a long time now.
And, now, at least with Hillary, they are having trouble with women.
I would imagine Bernie does better than Hillary with women.

Trump?..........Ye Gads! I wouldn't think so?
Rubio?....No prob.
Fiorino?....Jury is still out.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:24 PM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Unfortunately I think we still have another decade or so of the GOP in it's existing form with it's out of date views regarding social issues, minorities, etc. Remember, the GOP is currently largely confined to the Deep South and the Midwest in states where upwards of 70% of voters are Republicans or lean Republican ... it's like being in an echo chamber. It's going to take a few more thumpings at the hands of Democrats and possibly the loss of the Senate and the House before they get the hint.
No. that won't do it. The Republicans win too often - like in 2014 - for that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections