Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
You're right. All Obama has done is insinuate that Floridians aren't intelligent enough to have made an informed decision about him or any of the candidates because they haven't listened to their rhetoric in person! How condescending. If I were a Floridian, I would be really pissed.
Eh, I'm going to disengage after this post because this is the kind of primary rhetoric that annoys me.

Unlike Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina, there wasn't any real campaign. Noting this rather obvious point doesn't insult any voters intelligence. It's just recognizing the rather obvious point that a state election with no campaign is much different than one with campaigning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
You're right. All Obama has done is insinuate that Floridians aren't intelligent enough to have made an informed decision about him or any of the candidates because they haven't listened to their rhetoric in person! How condescending. If I were a Floridian, I would be really pissed.
Many of us are pissed. But maybe he's already written off Florida as a lost cause, so he doesn't care. That, of course, will NOT help him win the general election!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
BVH BVH started this thread

944 posts, read 606,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Eh, I'm going to disengage after this post because this is the kind of primary rhetoric that annoys me.

Unlike Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina, there wasn't any real campaign. Noting this rather obvious point doesn't insult any voters intelligence. It's just recognizing the rather obvious point that a state election with no campaign is much different than one with campaigning.
That is certainly true. In a state with no campaigning, peoiple get to make up their own minds without all the biased campaign rhetoric. Floridians MADE that choice, decidedly, for Hillary Clinton.

Thank you for helping me illustrate my point.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
That is certainly true. In a state with no campaigning, peoiple get to make up their own minds without all the biased campaign rhetoric. Floridians MADE that choice, decidedly, for Hillary Clinton.

Thank you for helping me illustrate my point.

It's a silly notion anyway to assume that Floridians WEREN'T following the intense campaigning in other states.

I mean, "campaigning?" Besides running ads on TV, how many actually go to various rallies to make up their minds that way?

Ron Paul supporters blanketed Palm Beach County with signs, and he barely made a blip in the results. Guliani spent more time here than anyone else, and he had a poor showing. No, the candidates didn't need to "campaign" here for me to make a decision. That's what television and the internet is for.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
CNN took action because they had them on commentators without properly disclosing their ties to the Clinton campaign.

Bias indeed.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
You guys are hilarious.

Look, I don't hate Hillary. I certainly have reservations about her, and am not fond of the way she has run her campaign, but if she wins the nomination, she'll still be head and shoulders above the alternative. But in order to support her, you don't have to allow yourself fantastical notions like campaigning is meaningless.

Yes, Rudy's campaigning showed little despite the money he poured in the state, but that's because he was a terrible candidate. The more he campaigned, anywhere, the worse he did. That is the exact opposite of how voters have reacted to the Obama campaign.

On an individual scale, you're right, campaigns aren't necessary for every voter. But they do make a huge difference on the macro level. It's not just about campaign stops and kissing babies. It's also about phone banking and GOTV efforts and everything else it entails.

It makes a difference.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
I love Lou Dobbs' show -- ESPECIALLY how he mocks his comrades love affair with Obama. He calls him the "where's the beef?" candidate and rolls his eyes when the others say Obama turns everything around when he gets to meet the people. Hahahaha, in the past week, he retorted, "Really. So, Obama just comes in with charisma and that changes everything?" And then he laughs and shakes his head. He critiques ALL of the candidates and promotes being an independent.

CNN's smart enough not to mess with Lou Dobbs, I think. All of his viewers would have a fit. I've noticed that Wolf, Anderson and the gang take potshots at Lou frequently.

I've written to CNN to complain about their biased coverage. I honestly believe Wolf Blitzer is doing all he can to support Obama on the air so, in the off chance he is elected, WB has credentials to become his presidential spokesman.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM

I have never once said campaigning is meaningless or ineffective, did I? If campaigning was worthless, we could could all save the millions of dollars spent each election cycle, lol!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I love Lou Dobbs' show -- ESPECIALLY how he mocks his comrades love affair with Obama. He calls him the "where's the beef?" candidate and rolls his eyes when the others say Obama turns everything around when he gets to meet the people. Hahahaha, in the past week, he retorted, "Really. So, Obama just comes in with charisma and that changes everything?" And then he laughs and shakes his head. He critiques ALL of the candidates and promotes being an independent.

CNN's smart enough not to mess with Lou Dobbs, I think. All of his viewers would have a fit. I've noticed that Wolf, Anderson and the gang take potshots at Lou frequently.

I've written to CNN to complain about their biased coverage. I honestly believe Wolf Blitzer is doing all he can to support Obama on the air so, in the off chance he is elected, WB has credentials to become his presidential spokesman.
Just hang in there! Lou Dobbs will get his teeth into Obama, if his CNN handlers allow him too. Obama will be campaigning to allow illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses in CA. THAT should work Uncle Lou up into quite a lather! :-)

Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 AM

25 posts, read 110,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Fair enough, the DNC made the decision and the candidates agreed to abide by it. It's a minor shift in language, and considering I stated it explicitly in the beginning of my post, I'm not sure I see the relevance in you pointing it out.

As far as Obama is concerned, considering Super Tuesday is only a week away and he is trailing Clinton nationally, I'd say that had far more of a bearing for a national ad buy than competing in a state that didn't have delegates. And Clinton had her fair share of Florida 'fundraising' appearances as well. She wasn't invisible in the weeks leading to the Florida election.

But that's all irrelevant. The only important point is this, when the DNC made their decision, Clinton did not vocally disagree with it until she won a Michigan primary in which Obama and Edwards weren't on the ballot, and had polls showing a sizeable lead in Florida. Until then, her campaign was quiet on the subject.

Personally, I find that stance extremely distasteful.
A politician trying to press home her advantage, now THAT is distasteful !!!!

Gosh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections