Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

I sincerely hope you are right that Obama won't be elected as President of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I am sure once in for awhile the comics would have a field day with him.They will show no mercy as always. I can just see a cousin named Osama Obama he's never seen asking for a vista favor.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Brother Obama. Saturday Night Live will be whooping it up! I think my favorite characture of theirs was John Goodman as Linda Tripp.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:20 PM

32 posts, read 26,814 times
This point made me laugh. In a sad way.. I do agree with it. Not to insult the American Culture, but I do not follow Hollywood.

But Britney Spears, and Paris Hilton are on the news a lot!! My grandparents who rarely watch television know about Britney Spears and all the things that go on. It is strange the American Media focuses on things like that. -- But I guess that is what sells in television.

That is why many people can redicule Clinton. For her "Husbands" reputation, I always her people make fun of her. Just because of the Monica Lewinsky scandal. I guess that makes people feel better about themselves.

Obama he may not be as experienced, but it is knowledge that is important. I mean George Bush has 7 years of experience as President. Does that make him good president did he help the economy? -- Experience in that way can be overatted.

It how the Presidential Candidates will try to fix the economy through dealing with these situations that is important having knowledge is much more important then opposed to .. sitting in politics for a prelonged time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
1. He's intelligent, has an excellent vocabulary, and is articulate with words. Americans are suspicious of anything/anyone intelligent. Americans prefer people like W and Britney Spears. That way a great portion of the public will not feel intimidated.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,888 times
viva Hillary!

Old 02-09-2008, 04:46 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 606,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Obama will not be president!
The reasons why:
1. He's intelligent, has an excellent vocabulary, and is articulate with words. Americans are suspicious of anything/anyone intelligent. Americans prefer people like W and Britney Spears. That way a great portion of the public will not feel intimidated.

Condescend much? He has a BUNCH of ultra-left wing wealthy elitist Democrats voting for him.... But, those of us who live in trailer parks, have 10 kids and beat our wives don't know no better, cuz we is just stupid...

2. Obama is the "wrong" color. He's not dark, neither is OJ. It will require several more decades before Americans elect anyone who is not white.

Yes, yes...we GET it. "Either vote for Obama or you are a racist" If that truly is the definition of "racism" these days, then I guess I had better order my sheets, because I am not voting for Oboma. (By the way, OJ is a violent double murderer who robs people at gunpoint...so not sure why you'd even mention him in the same sentence)
3. President Obama? What a name! Anyone remember Mike Dukakis? Americans prefer names like Jones, Smith, Johnson, Clinton, Bush, Carter, Bradley, Miller, Atkins, Mitchell, etc, all good ole english sounding names. Surely, those (especially the talk show pundits) who despise Obama will (intentionally) often say, "Osama...oops, I mean Obama".

Yes, we are also racist against him because him name sounds funny. You forget to mention that his ears make him look like dumbo. That's another valid reason to not vote for him....
But, you are correct. He will not be #44.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:39 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Thumbs down Obama will not be elected!

Seems to me this is a bold and absolute prediction.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:49 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
How can he win? All the fluff talk isn't getting the mainstream Democratic voter.

The mainstream Democratic voter is the person who wants to know what he can do for them, not the other way around. WE can elect him -- but what is HE going to do for us? "Yes we can" doesn't tell us anything.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
If a monkey fly's out of my ass any time soon I might vote for him. But I think its very unlikely!

Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,545 times
The statement that a person won't be elected because of their surname is as insulting as saying people won't vote for a woman or a black man (or that we should vote for a woman or a black man regardless of their policies!) Barack Obama has a very good chance at becoming the next president, despite all the hurdles he's had to overcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections