Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:35 AM

1,050 posts, read 698,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm not so sure, for one thing he's got the $$$ to run an independent campaign. Somebody's eventually gotta kill the two party system before it kills the country. I don't even like him but would vote for him as an (I), believing the benefit of smacking down both parties would be worth 4 years of his bluster. But never as a (D) or an (R).
Maybe so, but Independents have never had a chance, perhaps having your own money does help, I guess too late to know for sure now.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:36 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I don't think they will, but he has to win 1236 delegates.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:37 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This ^^^. The GOP threw the last 2 races and plan to throw this one since Bush could not get footing. It isn't Dem or GOP, it is dynasty. Anyone that doesn't understand that needs to do some research.

If they dupe Trump, I will never vote for another GOP candidate.

These parties are controlling what are supposed to be free elections. The people are going to have to get a backbone and stand against this.
Based on Trump's ideology, you probably shouldn't be voting for REAL GOP candidates anyway.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:38 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
By not rubber stamping Congress. Has he not made that clear?
Oh, so the plan is MORE years of government gridlock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because American auto plants are located in Mexico, labor is cheaper in Mexico, there are no import tariffs for goods from Mexico (NAFTA), and therefore the price of many vehicles are lower than they would be if made in the US.
You still utterly fail to answer and/or apparently understand the question.

Someone said Americans were in such dire straits.

I asked how Americans managed to buy a record number of vehicles if times were really so bad?

THAT has nothing, nada, nil, zilch, zero to do with where or by whom those vehicles were made, it's a question of how people in allegedly dire straits manage to buy an all time record number of vehicles?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I wasn't aware the rules expire the day before convention. Or are you being facetious about them changing the rules any time it suits?
I wasn't being facetious, it's true. They, along with the Democrats, give themselves a backdoor to prevent a totally unacceptable candidate from taking the nomination. They have always had that option. The Democrats have super delegates that are capable of completely shutting out an unacceptable candidate, which if Hillary gets indicted will be used, or might be used if Bernie manages to sneak in there. It is a little harder on the Republucan side, but it is there nonetheless. And should be. They must have a way to stop a candidate if late in the primary cycle events change that would have resulted in people voting differently, had they known about it at voting time. They also need it so some outsider doesn't highjack their party.

What stops them from exercising those options most elections is that they know they will incur the wrath of at least part of the electorate if they do. That happened in 2012 when they used it to block a takeover move by Ron Paul and it had an impact. I suspect they will do it this election, even if it means losing. They do not want to be labeled the party of hate.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:42 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump is going to lose Ohio. He has to get 60% of the remaining delegates without OH. It's not happening, IMO. If he gets Ohio, then I think he wins outright. But Ohio is critical to his hopes. Pubs know this and that is why Romney is campaigning there today.
I don't think Ohio is critical. It sure would speed up the inevitability, but Trump is way ahead in almost all remaining states. I think there needs to be more upsets besides Ohio for him to fall short.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:43 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I wasn't being facetious, it's true. They, along with the Democrats, give themselves a backdoor to prevent a totally unacceptable candidate from taking the nomination. They have always had that option. The Democrats have super delegates that are capable of completely shutting out an unacceptable candidate, which if Hillary gets indicted will be used, or might be used if Bernie manages to sneak in there. It is a little harder on the Republucan side, but it is there nonetheless. And should be. They must have a way to stop a candidate if late in the primary cycle events change that would have resulted in people voting differently, had they known about it at voting time. They also need it so some outsider doesn't highjack their party.

What stops them from exercising those options most elections is that they know they will incur the wrath of at least part of the electorate if they do. That happened in 2012 when they used it to block a takeover move by Ron Paul and it had an impact. I suspect they will do it this election, even if it means losing. They do not want to be labeled the party of hate.
Right, I agree that there does need to be an option if the candidate goes south. I wasn't against Donald Trump at the beginning, but he has gone way south for me.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
Maybe so, but Independents have never had a chance, perhaps having your own money does help, I guess too late to know for sure now.
Well, I freely admit I haven't read all the rules of the party and the convention but ya just never know. I just think he blew a golden opportunity, given the degree of peoples' dissatisfaction with government as well as his name recognition and $$, this year may have been the best shot in many years if not ever for an (I) to succeed.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
They won't take the nomination from Trump if he has the most delegates even if he's short of the 1237. It would pretty much be the end of the party and they would lose all of his supporters, guaranteeing a victory for Clinton. I'd like to think the GOP leaders are smarter than that. After he takes a commanding lead on Tuesday don't be surprised to see most of the GOP giving him their support. All of that "we can't support Trump" nonsense goes out the window when it comes down to beating Clinton and the Democrats.
If he does not have 1,237 delegates, he will not have won the nomination, so it will not have been his to "take away" from.

We do not have a first past the post system. The requirement is a majority of delegates. If Trump cannot get them, he has not won anything.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:01 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, I freely admit I haven't read all the rules of the party and the convention but ya just never know. I just think he blew a golden opportunity, given the degree of peoples' dissatisfaction with government as well as his name recognition and $$, this year may have been the best shot in many years if not ever for an (I) to succeed.
2012 had a millionaire running against a bunch of guys, 2016 even richer guy running against even more guys...

2020, sure wont be the single poor guy running, bet an even crazier crowd shows up to party. they set a trend that wont stop

really, who in the gop can claim to be a party leader that hasnt tried to run already? cantor? they pretty much kicked the older guys out as rinos, and none of the younger crowd had time to make a name for themselves

who knows, if bush 1 is still alive, maybe he can get his second term in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections