Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,120,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntwonShabazz View Post
It's weird how the more effort the establishment puts into stopping Trump, the more popular he becomes. Right? You'd think they'd back down but they don't. I don't understand it.
As someone who is not a Trump supporter, I have to agree that it is rather unusual for a party to go to this length to avoid the leading candidate from winning the nomination. But I can certainly understand why they might . . . . aside from the Big Tent thing, I believe they are genuinely concerned about the direction of this country if Mr. Trump is elected (we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one for now).

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 07:04 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,120,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How can Cruz say he has a path to the nomination? He keeps repeating this like he & Trump are on equal footing.

He needs 79% of remaining delegates. He will have to win 4 out of every 5 delegates. I don't see it happening. Not even close.
Cruz is a brilliant man (he is, just ask him), so he clearly knows that he can't win 79% of the remaining delegates, especially in light of the states that remain. He knows it would take a miracle, like a lightening strike hitting Mr. Trump.

However, he is saying that to make sure his supporters don't stop voting for him. He needs as much delegates as possible, even though he won't win more delegates than Mr. Trump. Why? To give himself more credibility should it become a contested convention. For both Kasich and Cruz, their only alleged path is through a contested convention . . . they just can't realistically catch up. If he is a convincing #2, then he would have an edge over Kasich, Romney, Ryan and the rest. But Cruz can't admit that, particularly since he has already said on record that a contested convention is a very bad thing . . . so he will pretend that he is trying to win delegates to win in the primaries.

It's all moot if Mr. Trump can secure a majority of the pledged delegates. Bye bye Ted in that case. Couldn't have happened to a nicer man.

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 07:09 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
As someone who is not a Trump supporter, I have to agree that it is rather unusual for a party to go to this length to avoid the leading candidate from winning the nomination. But I can certainly understand why they might . . . . aside from the Big Tent thing, I believe they are genuinely concerned about the direction of this country if Mr. Trump is elected (we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one for now).

Mick
If Trump takes AZ next week, I'm guessing that Cruz is done for. Party is starting to come to its senses about Trump as they are making quiet moves to accept him.

Now that Obama has put forth a Supreme Ct. nominee, it's quick reminder of who their real enemy is.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:

It's all moot if Mr. Trump can secure a majority of the pledged delegates. Bye bye Ted in that case. Couldn't have happened to a nicer man.

Mick
As I point out in this topic, this is almost a certainty now.

Trump only needs 547 delegates out of the 1044 delegates left to win nomination.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
How can Cruz say he has a path to the nomination? He keeps repeating this like he & Trump are on equal footing.

He needs 79% of remaining delegates. He will have to win 4 out of every 5 delegates. I don't see it happening. Not even close.
Get with it: as with Kasich, what do you expect him to say or do? If he doesn't tell his supporters he can win, it is over for him. Most of us realize we are most likely heading for a brokers or contested convention. He wants to stay in the race.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
.....Most of us realize we are most likely heading for a brokers or contested convention. He wants to stay in the race.
No reason to believe this. Trump has an easy path to score the remaining 547 or so delegates out of over 1000 left to win majority needed.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:03 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,340,738 times
Quote:
Cruz is a brilliant man (he is, just ask him), so he clearly knows that he can't win 79% of the remaining delegates, especially in light of the states that remain. He knows it would take a miracle, like a lightening strike hitting Mr. Trump.
Sure he can and no it wouldn't. All he has to do is win 55%-45%which is completely doable, especially with him picking up Rubio voters and 16 of the last 20 primaries/caucuses being closed, where Trump performs the worst.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Sure he can and no it wouldn't. All he has to do is win 55%-45%which is completely doable, especially with him picking up Rubio voters and 16 of the last 20 primaries/caucuses being closed, where Trump performs the worst.
Nope. It's impossible. This is why.

Trump only needs 547 delegates out of the 1044 delegates left to win nomination.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:10 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,340,738 times
Quote:
You are just speculating and hoping Trump wins those states, you have no idea. Things could change a lot and soon. Rumors of a Cruz/Kasich ticket and other scenarios which could change everything.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:17 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,946 times
Thumbs up Thanks Waldo!

Quote:

WaldoK,

What about the votes in Missouri? Is that still up in the air? I believe MO has 52 delegates or so, right?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections